collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What are your dolly (and other collections) buying/spending habits?  (Read 819 times)

Offline Cwk123

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
If you want a doll, do you just go and buy it, or do you wait? Do you have a budget to follow, or whatever you want you just get it? Do you have a financial limit per month or week...or anything goes?
I usually just buy a doll if I like it. I don't have a budget...I really should, though! I don't have a limit or even try to limit myself...I would like to think I don't go too crazy buying...haha! Actually, I have been on a wild buying spree lately with all the new dolls. Think I'm calming down now  :P

Knibitz

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: What are your dolly (and other collections) buying/spending habits?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 09:43:32 PM »
I pretty much buy whatever I want when I can afford it.
I sell dolls just as often as I buy them, so I have a constant cycle of money.
Recently I've been going through dolls rather rapidly and I've had dolls going in and out at least once a month.

This is the way I've always been and I've never really had a problem. However, I almost always only buy good deals I see on the secondhand market.
Like right now I'm buying a Senior Delf off my friend for 300$
my first bjd was a 200$ doll for 100$, I got a soom laon for 200 (sold the head for 120 [or so] and kept the body), my DOT ean for 330 shipped, not exactly a deal, but I bought my rheia for ~retail (400$) and I've received offers of 550$ to buy her from me XD I also had people offer 700 for my soony (costing me ~500) when I pulled a april fools prank earlier this year XD

So I tend to make money off my dolls when I sell them, but I never get a doll to make money off it. I just let people offer what they're willing to pay o_0 and they just offer me more than what they cost me o_0

So yeah, for me, it's mostly doll money back into doll money. However I do sometimes spend money out of what I earn in life, but that's never really budgeted.
If I see something and I like it, then I buy it XD

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 09:54:33 PM »
I have a very strict budget whenever I can buy a new doll. At this point if I want something new, I have to sell something old. If I don't make enough money, oh well. If something unexpected comes up, oh well. In some cases I'll deal with the "unexpected" (i.e. eating mostly Ramen for longer) in order to get a very special doll, but that's rare in the first place and there's only one more doll I'd do that for. But she would be around $85 with shipping, so I can't even consider her right now.

If I find a doll, or any toy, that I want badly, I add it to my wishlist. Then I either sell & save or dream. Mostly dream, as my wishlist isn't super tiny. But my wishlist is an excellent source when a relative wants to know what to buy me for my birthday/Christmas, so that's a plus.

I have a hard limit on certain things. Like right now, I have about 20 Liv dolls. That is insane. I'm allowing myself to get the rest off my wishlist if I can at some point, and then no more unless they're super cheap yard sale finds (to later pay to be customized). Other than that, my only limit is space. Which I have none of right now, so when I get money I plan to focus on clothing and small accessories/dolls
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline karrie91

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 10:52:43 PM »
Lately, I've been trying to keep it to one doll a week, with the exception of one week per month where I allow myself to totally splurge. I don't have certain doll line I collect. I just love dollies and want a unique collection of them. IF I feel I have too many of a certain, I start collecting a different line. Bratz and Moxie Girlz are calling my name big time right now. Monster High feels more like a chore anymore.. like I feel like I HAVE to buy them. Same with Winx. I am no longer going with 'Oh I need that for my collection!' I'm buying for want.. for that Bratz doll that just keeps catching my eye in the toy aisle. Or that La Dee Da that really really keeps calling my name.

I also like to buy dolls that remind me of myself. That's how I ended up with a Bratzilla because as a child, I would spend hours pretending that I was a witch. It was my favorite thing <3

Also.. red haired dolls always find their way home with me. I have this obsession with red haired, fair skinned dolls. Freckles and blue eyes is a bonus!

Actively buying Buddy L Ponies

Offline Flaileigh

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 11:13:40 PM »
I buy when I'm able to. (Layaway helps a lot!) I only started actively buying dolls again in the past couple months after not buying anything new for around 2-3 years or so. I figure I deserve it, especially since some of the standard molds I had been working up to are now discontinued.

As long as I get the heads I want, I can take my sweet time mulling over when to get bodies. I've just recently started looking for face-up artists and a couple of the heads I've had for 5 or so years... I don't plan on selling any of them. I get very attached to the characters that I have shelled within those little resin noggins.

Really, the money that I put towards the dolls right now would be spent on DVD's, games or craft supplies otherwise... And I don't like paying for things in a big one time payment if I don't have to. It just seems like I'm buying a lot, when I'm usually just talking/thinking out loud about it, or paying minimal payments per month.  :P

jupiternwndrlnd

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 11:26:36 PM »
depends on the doll -- if i want a new Pullip, i have to save....and/or sell one I already have
if i want a new MH doll or Alice doll or other random dolls (LaDeeDa, Novi Star, etc)....generally I buy them if the price is reasonable (and of course, if all the bills are paid - lol)

Offline Zombelina

• Scarily Ever After
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 12:00:13 AM »
I buy inexpensive playline dolls when I want/see them in stores, but I try to keep it to one a week (and first make sure I have enough for bills!). If I buy a whole bunch at once (like with MH because I'm afraid I won't find them again, or to get a better price on shipping) I'll dole them out to myself one (or two or three :P) a week so that I don't end up buying more for those weeks XD 

For more expensive dolls, I save, which works badly because I'm terrible at it, haha. So usually I put expensive dolls on my birthday/holiday wishlist and ask relatives for them as gifts  ^.^
:heart: sales/trades ~ on hiatus :heart:

Offline Sonata

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 04:59:52 AM »
I don't have much money to spend on stuff like those, so ponies and the few MH dolls I would like to own will have to wait until Christmas and my birthday. I've spent way too much already this year on ponies so far and I don't want to spend much more until Christmas.

Also, I need a job LOL so yes. No budget or plans for me - if it happens, good. But most of the times, it doesn't happen.

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 12:31:25 PM »
I just buy what I want.... My doll purchases are always cheap.... Sindy, MH and rapunzel :)
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline TheFuzz

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
    • DA
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 10:45:05 PM »
I give myself $50 a month when I have a job, $20 when I don't. If I don't spend that much, I push it over to the next month, or if I spend over, I take it out of next months money. Spending over happens most often when I have a lot of free time to be walking around in stores. You find rare/HTF stuff when you're at the store every-other day. XD

Offline Akemi-chan

• Matcha-flavored Teeny Tiny
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+147)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Baby Pony Addict
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 01:46:07 PM »
For bjds, I usually start a layaway (if the company or person selling offers).  It REALLY helps because I wouldn't be able to budget on my own.  For other dolls like Pullips, MH, or any other if I have some extra funds after bills are paid (and I'm usually early ^_^), then I splurge!

Have you fan-girled today, [you]?
*For Sale or Trade*
*Wishlist*

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 01:48:24 PM »
I technically have a budget and sometimes I have to forego all buying due to lack of funds. My budget has so far been $200/month ($100 per paycheck), but if I find a job I'll have a lot more funds at my disposal.

Ai from Aurora
AC Wants | Furniture Catalog | Clothing Catalog

Offline aellos

• Girl with the box
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Reluctant warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 01:50:34 PM »
Beg fiancee, fiancee says no, keep begging, he says yes, buy doll.

Though I'm changing that up and going to try my hardest to save up for a BJD.

||DevART||Tumblr||Red Pepper Ref||Flickr||
Don't fall reluctant heroes, I want to be brave like you.

Offline JigglesTheCat

• Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 05:12:36 PM »
Beg fiancee, fiancee says no, keep begging, he says yes, buy doll.

My life story.

Seriously, just replace fiancee with dad and it's a perfect match!
I took a break from the Arena from a couple months due to school and other things in my life. But I'm back now!

Offline SwordPony

• Trade Count: (+271)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 05:20:18 PM »
I sell things that I don't want need or others wise have time for to fund my dolly habit. I sold off all but two MH dolls to get my Pullip family to where it is now. 4 Pullips and 4 Taeyangs. I love them all. I also have 2 Moxie Teen girls that I some how ended up with.

I have a BJD that I have on Layaway. I really hope to make enough to bring her home by the end of the month.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal