collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I finally understand what everyone has been talking about...  (Read 679 times)

Offline Sprinkles

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
I finally understand what everyone has been talking about...
« on: August 31, 2012, 11:52:26 AM »
Today I received my favorites collection in the mail from Girlyponce (thanks again :) ) and as I was taking each pony out of the packaging, I realized the dents and such that everyone has been talking about. Personally, I don't really mind the dents because I don't expect my ponies to be perfect so I'm not complaining, just informing.

But I also realized that Pinkie Pie and Flower Wishes both have a front leg that messes up their standing. Flower Wishes' front left leg appears shorter than the right one. And Pinkie Pie's front right leg looks like it is slightly lifted in the back. Flower Wishes sorta leans to her left when she stands and Pinkie's hoof is lifted a little.

Rainbow Dash has the most defects. Again alright with me and I have another without the glitter cutie mark. In various places on her body, she looks like something touched her while she was still wet. Kinda like how wet nail polish looks on nails when they get rubbed. Also, the poor girl's head is on at an angle. It looks like she is tilting her head a bit.

As for dents, Rainbow Dash has one above her right front leg, as does Flower Wishes, Pinkie Pie has some above her left front leg, so does Lemony Gem, DJ Pon-3 has a deeper one above her right front leg, and Trixie has a rather large one in the center above her two front legs.

I'm sorry this was so long and sorry if it seems like I'm complaining  :huh: I'm really not though. I just wanted to confirm what everyone else has been saying about this particular set. I really do love all of my ponies :)
Pony want list | Doll want list | Starlight's Reference
Thank you TornadoTwist for my avatar :)

Offline Starly

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: I finally understand what everyone has been talking about...
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 11:54:54 AM »
I want this set badly reagrdless of dents or faults, I love my ponies even if they have flaws.
When the Equestria Girls dolls show up in stores and you end up with unneeded doubles, PM me! I'll buy them!/i]

Offline HollowZero

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Nightmint av by Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 11:56:44 AM »
I actually prefer flawed ponies, but sheesh, for the price everyone is paying for this set, all the ponies should be pristine. G1's are nearly 30 years old, so flaws are understandable. But something fresh out of a (quite expensive) package? Ridiculous.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Hello! Please visit my art gallery! Commissions are: open for now

Offline Sprinkles

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 12:01:56 PM »
I actually prefer flawed ponies, but sheesh, for the price everyone is paying for this set, all the ponies should be pristine. G1's are nearly 30 years old, so flaws are understandable. But something fresh out of a (quite expensive) package? Ridiculous.

I agree about the price. Too much money spent on flawed ponies :huh: I do think that some of it does have to do with the design of the package. I had trouble getting some of the ponies out because the box plastic was too tight. I had to use scissors.

I want this set badly reagrdless of dents or faults, I love my ponies even if they have flaws.

I felt the same way! I just HAD to get Nightmare Moon and DJ Pon-3.
Pony want list | Doll want list | Starlight's Reference
Thank you TornadoTwist for my avatar :)

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 12:11:59 PM »
I agree, I really don't expect Hasbro to make perfectly flawless ponies all the time, that's just not realistic in my opinion. But when they make a set that is specifically marked to collectors and set the price at $40 (I know that comes to $5-something per pony, but they could have easily chosen to make these separate packages and keep the price at $5 each--they purposely made this a big set that collectors will feel like they -have- to buy) then I get a bit miffed. There should have been better quality control on this set, if not all MLP brushables.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline ButtercreamDream

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 12:14:44 PM »
I'm hoping that the delay in these getting to stores has something to do with production, and that Hasbro is going to fix the problem with the new ones being released.  I'm in no hurry to buy it at the moment.  I'm just hoping that the later ones are better.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 01:28:34 PM »
My understanding is that price is based on anticipated revenue (usually based on how many are ordered - ie how many TRU wanted) - as well as production and packaging cost.  I suspect that with the new mold (for NM Moon), unusual packaging- and the fact that TRU probably ordered fewer of these than other sets (thinking that since (based on probable number of adult collectors who would buy)-  the price of $40 isn't high at all.  Profit margin on toys is usually pretty small-  maybe it is better for bigger toy companies like Hasbro (I will admit I am basing my assumptions on how smaller companies like Playmates do business)

That said- I do wonder what is up with all the flaws.   Obviously the QC on this set did not do the trick.  I wonder if the entire set went to QC instead of individual ponies.  If that was the case- they would probably be much less likely to scrap a set than an individual pony. 

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 01:35:58 PM »
Plus don't forget this is TRU. They often put toys way above MSRP compared with places like Walmart and Target. I had to pay $3 for my glowy Twilight and Pinkie even tho Walmart sells the blind bags for only $2 because my Walmarts skipped over the purple bags.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 03:58:28 PM »
Plus don't forget this is TRU. They often put toys way above MSRP compared with places like Walmart and Target. I had to pay $3 for my glowy Twilight and Pinkie even tho Walmart sells the blind bags for only $2 because my Walmarts skipped over the purple bags.

I don't know if it's a regional thing, but my Target and TRU have roughly the same prices - for ponies at least.  They both charge $2.99 for the blind bags and $9.99 for the glimmer wing ponies.  And sometimes certain items are cheaper at my TRU than my Target.

I don't know - if you are still paying roughly the same amount per pony in the favorites pack as it is to buy them individually, I would expect the same QC or lack thereof.  Besides, the G3s were riddled with their flaws too.

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 05:49:34 PM »
First and most important I completely understand people being disappointed and wanting perfect ponies. If we pay for something we want it to deliver. I am sorry you were disappointed with your purchase thats such a shame :hug: - warm water should be able to fix up any dents though :)

That being said, I do personally come down on the side that $40 for 7 ponies isnt too bad a price. In fact in comparison to other toy lines its rather well priced. Unfortunately we do get what we pay for - Hasbro makes these cheap so they can be sold cheap. If we wanted collector quality and this number of items then you would need to triple or quadruple the price of the set. Just compare the prices of some of the other "collectors" grade toys which Hasbro and other manufacturers create. As ashes said QC on G3 was pretty pour as well and G1 didnt escape its errors its just that there are fewer MOCs out there and collecting G1 means second hand ponies which have had previous owners who may have already fixed any issues.

None of this makes it any easier to accept I know but for me I know I am not buying a perfect pony so I have learned to love it lol!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 08:04:17 PM »
Actaully I would not consider it that limited, the warehouse that supplies my area ALONE had over 2,000 of this set delivered to them.  I have not checked recently to see if there is another open order but if it is selling well there might be.   TRU has several warehouses, I think somewhere between 8 and 12.  So 2,000 x by at least 8 = 16,000 of these sets.   If they have say 12 warehouses then it would be 24,000 sets. 

As to TRU charging more then say Target or Walmart - do the math, they have more stores so can negotiate with large companies for better prices because they are buying a larger volume.

As to the quality - sorry gang but you are getting what you pay for, PLUS they are being made in the same factory as the regular toys they sell as singles and such.  So these ponies while special to you are being made at the same time as the regular ponies by folks who they are not so special too.  Also it seems they are trying to crank it out while the market is hot and folks lose interest, when things are rushed you get quality issues.  If it was truly being made as a collectors item, it would be a good three times the price and might be better quality.     

It really boils down to this, if the quality is so bad, do not buy it.  I realize this sounds harsh but by buying it you encourage them to continue to produce it at that price point and not worry about quality. 

:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline KtKat

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 09:19:28 PM »
I feel like all of the collector series (TRU Favorite, Zecoras, the minifig 3 packs)  are lower quality than the rest of the toys.  like how they didn't paint the bracelet around Zecora's leg all the way. My Wonderbolt pony can't really stand without extra support and all of the specialty minis have sloppy paint. Notice how much nicer the packaging is, though!
I think they did this because they are banking on people not deboxing these items. :/ 

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2012, 05:10:04 AM »
From the amount of complaints I have seen I think the quality across everything seems to be poor whether this set or others - but as mentioned you get what you pay for. If I pay $5 for my meal I sure dont expect the same quality of food as if I shell out $50.

The set's target market is still little girls, even though its also been popular with collectors, if it wasn't geared primarily towards Hasbro's core market it wouldn't contain 2 ponies which are not Fan Favourites but are a nice pink and bright yellow in colour in order to still fit the stereotype of MLP products. Therefore while I am sure they expect some to remain MIB I am also certain they expect most to be released.

Personally I cant help but wonder if Hasbro had made these collectors quality and charged $100 + for the set, would the issues we have now be more about the price point and less about the quality?

Diamond that sheer number of potential sets is astounding when you actually start adding it up!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal