collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: A couple questions for European customizers  (Read 367 times)

Moonracer

• Trade Count: (0)
A couple questions for European customizers
« on: August 31, 2012, 10:41:19 AM »
Okay, so I'm seriously thinking about trying myself at making customs. But before I start, I'd like to ask some couple questions.

The questions I'm asking are mainly directed towards the European users. It isn't to discriminate anyone, it's just that some of the products recommended by the American customers aren't often available here in Europe (like the Rit Dye for example). Sure, I could buy them online but then there are the shipping costs, which can be ridiculously high at times...

So, with that in mind, here are some of the questions I'd like to ask are as follows:

1. What would be the best product to paint a pony? I'm interested in both dyes and acrylic paint: what brands would you recommend?

2. Has anyone of you tried sculpting using, so-called, self-hardening clay? I would've loved to start sculpting using Apoxie clay, but seeing as it's only available online, and no-one here in my country has ever tried to buy those things to sell them here, I'm afraid I'd have to abandon that one. :(

But then I discovered that there's actually such thing as self-hardening clay. Has anyone actually tested this thing out? I've heard various opinions regarding it... for example I've read on one of the craft forums that self-hardening clay is not good material because it can break easily once it's dry. So I'm not entirely certain about that one...

I'd like to know if anyone has ever tried working with it, and if yes, what is their actual opinion on the matter.

3. What is the best temperature to bake a pony in (in degrees Celsius that is)? I'm asking this one since I'm willing to try out sculpting using FIMO, since it's my second best choice, I think (that is unless the self-hardening clay turns out to be a bad idea afterall).

4. Once the pony is painted, is it required to saturate it using some kind of varnish? Or should I just leave it as it is? I've heard rumors that the paint on custom ponies can fade over time, so I figured I'd ask this one just to make sure...

And I guess that's basically all for now... if anything else comes to my mind I'll be sure to write it here.

Thanks in advance! :) :)

Offline naylastar

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Re: A couple questions for European customizers
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 12:08:14 PM »
I can help with number 3. Oven bake clays usually require you to bake at about 115 degrees celcius for about 15 mins per half inch of thickness. My preferred oven bake clay is Super Sculpey, it's available to buy in Europe and if you have to get it online, it shouldn't be too expensive to post since you're in Poland.

Self hardening, I do use Apoxie Sculp because I haven't found anything to rival it. The post is actually a dollar more than the actual clay *grumble grumble* but I do think it's worth it. Personally.

Offline lovelauraland

• Trade Count: (+127)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lovelauraland.com
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 12:58:05 PM »
I use Games Workshop Acrylic paints- I buy mine from a shop in the UK but they have an online shop too, not sure about shipping costs though but if you have a games workshop shop in your town/city try them out.
I never seal or varnish my symbols, I varnish the eyes with Games Workshop Varnish but you can also buy a varnish called Triple Thick which I have never used before. If the paint is sticky for some reason I use Mod podge which I bought from ebay, it lasts ages as you can water it down and it drys matt smooth, its normally light that fades any paint so I don't think varnish would protect it from light, but I have never had anyone come back to me saying the paint has faded or my dye jobs.
I have never tried self hardening clay but if its saying it breaks easily I wouldn't use it, I would always recommend apoxie sculpt as its the strongest clay I have ever used, I'm pretty clumsy and drop my work alot and this clay never seems to break! but if you cant get this or its too exspensive try getting some taxidermy clay which is the same thing but you might be able to find a cheaper brand in your country?
Fimo is pretty brittle once dry and if its a coloured fimo the ink can come off or bleed onto the pony and your fingers.
hope this helps x

lisey_baby

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 05:35:25 PM »
If this helps, we are probably going to expand our range of RIT dyes, which I'm pretty sure are cheaper than eBay :).

You can bake Nylon in the oven too, with minimal shrinkage :D

Moonracer

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 03:19:43 AM »
Thanks for all the comments and all the advice! :) :)

@naylastar: I think I heard someone mention on one of the polish craft forums that Sculpey can be bought here in Polan, but I might need to check first...

I'd be more than eager to get myself the Apoxie clay, since the price on that one isn't really that high... but then come the shipping costs and taxes and so on... :P

@lovelauraland: thanks for clarifying the issue regarding paint. I must've misinterpreted what's been written on the mlp preservation project site... it was one of the things that made me feel doubtful about starting to create customs. But now that I know that the paint actually doesn't fade, I can safely start to work... that is, once I get all the necessary materials.

I may try looking for those paints you've mentioned, especially since I have a couple gamer and model-makers stores which should be having those...

Another thing, coming back to the clay issue: I've been searching on Google, and I came about a site that specializes in selling materials for doll and figure makers here in Poland. Among the materials that I've spotted was this thing:

http://anleda.pl/sklep/product.php?id_product=11

MagicSculpt. Has anyone of you tried using this one? It kind of looks like the Apoxie clay, but I'm not entirely certain if it's similar...

Offline DaffyDilly

• Daffy loves mints
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 04:00:36 AM »
1. I use paints by Vallejo - Model Colour I think they're called. It seems as though any proper modeller's paints are good to use. :)

2. Yes - I used to use Milliputt. I do prefer Apoxie and I think it is worth the extra cost. I found a seller on Ebay UK - they sell it for use in taxidermy.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TAXIDERMY-MODELLING-AVES-APOXIE-SCULPT-SILVER-GREY-1lb-/310415229501?pt=UK_Collectables_AnimalCollectables_SM&hash=item484630823d#ht_769wt_1265

3. Not sure sorry! I have used Fimo though and it was OK, but it didn't seem as resilient as Apoxie and Milliput - like I don't think you can sand it as well and it isn't as easy to paint etc.

4. I always seal my customs because otherwise they seem to get sticky - it might be due to humidity. I recent some customs recently from somebody and I'm going to have to seal those because they are getting sticky too. I use Mod Podge but also a spray sealant that I got from the local modellers shop.

Offline bluemoondreams

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 04:03:33 AM »
i also recomend game workshop paints they come in small easy to use tubs and a good varity of colours. I however also use artiste and anita's aculic paints, for the metalics as the bottles are bigger handy for full body repaints. I've never tried die. Might i also recomend Ultra loc super glue to you it's great for holding things together and is avalible on ebay.

Offline Malancaiwen

• Celtic pony
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 05:08:06 AM »
1. I use Citadel paints a lot but I found out greens and reds tend to bleed if you don't make a FBR which I suck at :( I also use Liquitex and Pébéo (which might be a France only brand?). Pébéo makes A LOT of textured craft paints that are awsome. I just started expermenting with some (they can be used on wood, paper and all, including pony plastic)

2. Yes but don't take cheap quality ones. I only used Miliput and liked it. Never use Apoxie but always good heard good things about it.

3. No idea. I used to boil ponies with sculpey on to avoid oven melting.

4. Never had problems of fading paint so far but I have some that became sticky so yes, sealing is necessary.

Offline PrincessOfDarkness

• Queen of the Zombie Ponies
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
    • my dA
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 07:46:59 AM »
MagicSculpt. Has anyone of you tried using this one? It kind of looks like the Apoxie clay, but I'm not entirely certain if it's similar...
I'm not a european customiser, but I do use Magic Sculpt for pretty much all my sculpting. Its very similar to apoxy sculpt (2 part clay, resin + hardener, which when mixed begin the hardening reaction), and I love working with it :)
I much prefer it to Milliput, which I have also used, and sculpey... but thats personal preference more than anything else :)
Hope that helps!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart:  Never really open for commissions, but can be bribed ;)  :heart: SOOOO much Love to Jupi for my amazing Cupcake Zombie :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal