collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Thinning the herd-  (Read 900 times)

Offline Leopard_Print_Unicorn

• New Wave pony on your Lisa Frank notebook
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Sales Thread:
Re: Thinning the herd-
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 09:53:56 PM »
I purge clothes, shoes, household items and useless gadgets, furniture, etc., especially whenever I move. Which unfortunately has been often since I was 15, for every different reason I can think of. But my "comfort posessions," i.e. ponies, plushies, other collections may be stored for a while but never gotten rid of. I think I'm reaching critical plushie mass but there are just so many cute lines out there right now!
Formerly known as ponyRN.

Offline Mori_LeStrange

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2012, 12:18:31 AM »
I do about every 6 months I go through a purge where I go through everything I own and usually donate a ton of stuff.  I have sold off my collection twice already and turned around about a year later start collecting again.  I have two conflicting personality traits.  I'm a completionest but I can't stand clutter! so I want every set complete but then I see them all clutter and it makes me so crazy! 

Right now my collection consist mostly of g4's, about 15 g3's and 2 g1's that are all stored in my closest so I get a thrill when I open the door and see them all, but the doors are usually shut so the clutter doesn't get to me.

I have to admit, I enjoy your pony purges! My collection grows very quickly when that happens.  :P

I'm a bit of a pack rat. I have a hard time getting rid of most things, especially ponies and other toys I've collected over the years. Of course my parents don't help much. I have a giant Little Foot plush that I've tried to sell at about 3 garage sales in the past. Every time my mom tells me how much I loved it as a kid and how can I give it away. And back it goes into storage.  ^.^

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2012, 12:26:14 AM »
Over the past year or so I have gone through a TON of spring cleaning (my whole family has, we held two huge garage sales and still had way too much stuff to donate to goodwill), yet I still have the hardest time letting go of toys from my childhood and that oddball special item. Yet, I've really been moving into a new mindset of quality over quantity and conserving space with only the best items I really treasure (somewhat a necessity too, as I moved back home in which my bedroom has been turned into a nursery and I have far less space than I am used to), so I have been struggling in purchasing only items I really have thought over.

Admittedly, this still becomes difficult with ponies, since even though I only collect G4's and only my absolute favorites, I still have that twinge of guilt and inner freak out session whenever I purchase a new one. Admittedly, my collection isn't even very large (less than 20 I think still...), yet I can't help but be wracked by guilt every time I want to jump at the chance of buying a new one. The 'toy' stigma still hasn't quite left me and while that may be a good thing in some aspects, I do feel it's somewhat hindering as well.

Where did I get off on that tangent? My apologies.

QueenGusty

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2012, 01:29:34 AM »
The only purge I went trhough was when I was about 7 or 8 and decided that I was "too old" for ponies. Momma gave 'em all away o a neighbour. Do I regret that? Oh YES. Especially after me I went through some of the ponies  had had and me and my matey realised I'd had italians etc in there. (Sparkler was never released in the UK and I had a Sparkler with a flat painted symbol not a sparkly one, also had Firefly in her original pose and she was never released here in that pose either.) Can you say gutted?

Have to say though, the Dream Castle I have now compared to the one I had then is in much better condition.

Nowadays I couldn't bear to part with the ponies-my dad's always on about me keeping the new ones in theri boxes because they'll retain their value and I'm like "But I don't buy them for resale value?!" Its the same with my Daleks-Dad made me keep my 18" voice activated's box-its sitting under my desk in my office just clogging up the place. Grr.

Carrie

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2012, 01:33:03 AM »
*phew* Thank goodness you realized you wanted to keep your ponies before it was too late, Galatica!  I parted with some of my collection a few years back and I still kick myself over it.

Offline Sonata

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2012, 01:40:01 AM »
I used to keep everything and anything that I might use later specially on - specially on crafts - but I realized that I was just keeping stuff that I would never use, so I started to give away/throw away stuff twice every year or so.

Regarding toys in specific, well... Since I was a child I would do the same with the toys: twice a year I would go through them and give away those that I didn't want anymore to charity. I gave away some that I kinda regret now because I know what they are, but mostly I just feel happy because I know they made other kids happy :) But I was always true to myself. If I still wanted something, I would keep it. That's why I still have my childhood ponies: although there were times when I was "in denial", I always kept them somewhere near and, eventually, I embraced the fact that I really love ponies again and displayed them :D I would never forgive myself if I had given my ponies away.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2012, 02:23:33 AM »
Hmmm....in the context of ponies [shoes or handbags] I never feel the need to purge - clearly all ponies must stay with me. And I can show you the scary "pony accessory mountain" to prove it :P So for ponies I am like Dragonflitter and hugs all pony anything to myself. I am just as bad with doubles - I could sell some of these on but "what if I need them one day?!"

However in life in general I am like most people and yes "charity shopping" items which I no longer have interest in and wont ever again is pretty normal - if I didnt do this there would be no room to move in my house!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2012, 08:40:00 AM »
I am just as bad with doubles - I could sell some of these on but "what if I need them one day?!"

That made me smile- I can imagine you grasping two identical ponies to your chest looking outraged as someone suggests that you sell one of them- hehe

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2012, 08:42:07 AM »
I am just as bad with doubles - I could sell some of these on but "what if I need them one day?!"

That made me smile- I can imagine you grasping two identical ponies to your chest looking outraged as someone suggests that you sell one of them- hehe

More likely 2 identical combs or brushes :P
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal