collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Tips for painting weeny symbols  (Read 3030 times)

lisey_baby

• Trade Count: (0)
Tips for painting weeny symbols
« on: August 26, 2012, 06:31:21 PM »
Does any one have any tips for painting small details and symbols? I have the smallest paint brush I can find, but still to be struggling to get small/thin/crisp lines.  :huh:

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
Re: Tips for painting weeny symbols
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 06:41:45 PM »
When I did Aluma I used my smallest brushes, which were a 10/0 and a 5/0. My paint wasn't actually watered down because I wanted a certain look but my brush was wet to make it a little easier. My tip, depending on the symbol is for the smaller brushes only put paint on the tip and lots of layers.
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline JigglesTheCat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 06:43:14 PM »
I've never made a custom pony, or painted on a 3D object in my entire life, so this information may be useless, but I do paint a lot, if that counts for anything.

Just paint normally with the smallest brush ya' got, and don't go over it again unless you have to. Painting over it again doubles the thickness. If you do have to go over it, kinda go over it in small spots, if you know what I mean..?

Yeah, this information's useless XD
I took a break from the Arena from a couple months due to school and other things in my life. But I'm back now!

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 07:01:26 PM »
I do most of my tiny detail with a 5/0 and typically don't wet the paint, either.  I am pretty gross, though, and find that sort of licking/smooshing the bristles between my lips (think kind of the action of taking a straw out of your mouth) helps the bristles stay pointed together the best.  Wetting with water works well, too, but I think there's something about the smooshing action that helps them stick even better (plus, it keeps the brush drier). 

Another tactic I use for detail work is to keep an assortment of mechanical pencils nearby.  There are a few different lead sizes that let you control how fine of detail you want.  I find this method easier than a brush at times, because my hand already has muscle memory with how to use a pencil, and it takes the sometimes unpredictable/accidental brush swooshes or bristle flares out of the equation.  I will warn you that you have to use tiny bits of paint at a time, and make sure you wipe the remaining paint off the lead before you redip the pencil *every time* or else the paint globs up above the painting surface and will eventually kind of explode all over what you're doing and give you terribly lumpy lines.

lisey_baby

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 07:09:38 PM »
Thank you for all the advice guys! Really appreciate it, will have to try out all your suggestions.

@Jigglesthecat Your information isn't useless at all at makes perfect sense!

The brushes I'm using at the moment are 3/0 and 4/0 I will have to hunt down some smaller ones. Those were the smallest ones I could find in my craft shop. *Goes and stalks eBay* ;)

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 07:16:48 PM »
If there are any game shops or comic shops near you (the kind that sell things like D&D books and Magic cards), they will typically have very fine brushes for painting things like Warhammer models.  That's where I get all of my tiny brushes :)  They also will usually carry a brand of paints that are called Citadel Colour that are ah-MAZING!

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 08:11:04 PM »
Ahhh!  Now I know where to send D&D playing hubby.  Thanks!
:socks:   :frog:

Offline TexasGal

• Cupcake Pony
  • Trade Count: (+158)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pickle barrel kumquat cherrychanga!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 08:49:33 PM »
stalking!

Offline PrincessOfDarkness

• Queen of the Zombie Ponies
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
    • my dA
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 08:55:28 PM »
Like others, I use tiny brushes - a good 20/0 liner brush is my preferred brush for detail work.
Unlike other people, I DO water down my paints. I use an artist grade acrylic and find that my paints are always quite thick straight out of the tube, so watering them down is a must. It also helps with the consistency - I find liquidy paints produce a much finer, smoother line than straight paint out of the tube, which is often times too thick to create lovely smooth lines.
I also only load the tip of my brush, and I DO do multiple layers on each line if its necessary. Its taken me years of practice to be able to go over the same line multiple times and not stray.
I've spent quite a bit of time recently working on my detail painting, linework etc. For me, time and practice has helped me improve that stuff, and I know it sounds cliched, but its true :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart:  Never really open for commissions, but can be bribed ;)  :heart: SOOOO much Love to Jupi for my amazing Cupcake Zombie :heart:

Offline MnDancer

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 09:28:14 PM »
Oh, you definitely need a smaller brush, my 10/0 is my best friend!
:art:Pony lover since 1983 :rainbow:

Offline pop-girl

• Trade Count: (+140)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/mlppopgirl/pop-customs
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 09:57:55 PM »
I like to use the short liner brushes ranging from 10/0 to 20/0. The thinner your paint the smoother your lines - the trick is to get the paint thin without losing too much pigment.
I like to use airbrush acrylics because they're already thin (made for running through an airbrush) and high in pigment. Even so I tend to add a little water when doing scroll work or lining eyes.
Love & Miss My Pony Peeps!  :lovey:

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 09:58:38 PM »
Jo Ann's has some of the most comfortable to use 20/0 brushes that I have ever found, with some of the finest tips. I adore them. They have fat black handles that feel almost soft to the touch. I cannot recall the brand but I know I need to go buy some more. The tiny brushes wear out so fast >.<

Offline ZarineBashire

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Ponies and Crafts
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 10:05:50 PM »
Don't drink anything with caffeine in it before you paint. I try and not have any caffeine that day if I can help it.

A strange kinda tip. I rinse my tiny brushes often and will use my mouth after rinsing to dry it off and get the bristles to a point. Sounds kinda gross, but it really helps keep the brush in a thin tip for keeping those lines straight.

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 12:00:34 AM »
I am another paintbrush licker. ;) if so many people do it, it can't be that odd right?

Offline Izrabeth

• Mrs Johnny Depp
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 12:10:30 AM »
I was really wondering the same as I keep fail doing small things, 10/0 so  :cool: and it exist 20/0  ? :shocked: must be mine!!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal