collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Monster High Glue Seepage Thread  (Read 32491 times)

Feyona

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Monster High Glue Seepage Thread
« Reply #135 on: March 30, 2013, 11:04:38 PM »
Resurrecting this thread for some glue seepage questions...

What causes it? Humidity? Heat? Cold? Over-brushing or over-handling the dolls?

I have about 70 dolls, plus I've had plenty more pass through my hands and I dont' think I've ever encountered glue seepage. What am I doing right? I can't possibly be just lucky. I want to know what's right in my apartment so I can make sure to keep it constant!
I don't handle my dolls a ton, if that's what contributes; mostly I just display them, but sometimes I redress them and such.
There was an idea on Russian forum that glue seepage is the problem of the dolls from Indonesia. I was browsing internet and found the same thought.

http://here-be-dolls.weebly.com/indonesia-problems-and-defects.html

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 09, 2013, 09:09:09 PM »
Bumping this thread in hopes of hearing from those of you who used the tea tree oil...how are your dolls doing at this point? =) Or does anyone else have any new info about this issue and/or how to treat it?
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline Catlein

• Pony of Law
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Canadian law student obsessed with MLP and MH :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 09, 2013, 10:35:30 PM »
Bumping this thread in hopes of hearing from those of you who used the tea tree oil...how are your dolls doing at this point? =) Or does anyone else have any new info about this issue and/or how to treat it?

My dolls are doing fine. Frankie needs a reapplication, but I didn't use as much on her as others, and she was a TOTAL mess so I am not surprised.

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 09, 2013, 11:54:28 PM »
Thank you! That's good to hear. =D
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline rayedelsol

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Phoebe Nix
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #139 on: May 10, 2013, 05:49:27 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Slightly off-topic. This glob was in my Picture Day Lagoona's hair. They are from Indonesia. I'm seriously hoping I don't get my first case of glue seepage!!!!

Offline Fräulein_Kim

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Glows in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 11, 2013, 12:48:32 AM »
My dolls are all still fine as well. ^^

raye: How does her hair feel otherwise? Sometimes there is glue left in the hair from production - I had it on some of my dolls, too. It just means there is glue in her head, not neccessarily that it'll seep. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Offline Nana-Rena

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 11, 2013, 03:17:55 AM »
My Meowlody's hair has yellowed but isn't sticky or at least not noticeably sticky. It looks like it is yellowed in the part, where she has lots of hair gel. Her hair is hard and styled in those parts. Her scalp looks fine, but I am just wondering, is this glue or hel?

Offline justkitter

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 11, 2013, 07:06:47 PM »
Raye:  That clump looks clear and hard.  I think that's a good sign.  All the problems I've had have been from the yellow waxy glue, that never really hardens:(

My Werecats had horrible glue in their heads.  Took me three days to dehair the one :shocked:  My hands were so sore.  I don't think the glue ever seeped out into the hair though.  I don't handle my dolls much, so I really don't what's happening to them.  I'm a horrid doll mommy :lol:

I don't hear about glue seepage much anymore.  Why is that?  Is it because we've found a solution?  Is it because Mattel fixed the issue?  I hope it's the latter!  Thoughts?
I won't be checking this site anymore for messages.  If you need me, you can contact me at the MHArena :bigups:

YellowCat

« Reply #143 on: May 11, 2013, 10:23:06 PM »
Glue seepage is still happening with the newer dolls.  My Jinafire has it a little bit and Skelita has so much glue in her head that it's rock hard and interfering with her neck-peg.

Offline Nana-Rena

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 12, 2013, 03:39:41 AM »
I am not sure that any of my Ghouls have it. Some of them have oily hair, others don't. But their scalps and the roots of the plugs seem fine. It could be that I just don't recognize the seepage very well, I guess.

Feyona

« Reply #145 on: May 12, 2013, 01:07:50 PM »
I experimented a little bit with my Indonesian Gloom Beach Cleo. Recently I noticed that she got sticky stripes of hair which didn't look like greasy hair. I pulled the head, took a look inside. There was a dry glue inside the head, a little bit sticky but not gooey. I tried a shampoo - didn't work. Then I found the thing called Googone, sprayed it on the hair and left it aside for an hour then washed it away with shampoo. It didn't help.

Then I decided to try oily method. I know that if you have glue marks after scotch tape, they can be easily removed with olive oil. I didn't feel like wasting olive oil when I had a lot of coconut oil. I basically massaged it in doll's hair in each millimeter, left it for a few minutes and then washed it with shampoo... 3 times. Now I got another issue - coconut oil made the hair greasy and I couldn't wash it out. It took a few days to figure out how to solve this problem. I tried a hot water with a lot of soda (soda is a good degreaser). I tried to wash it away with alcohol but I had just green minty one from Walgreens and I didn't notice that it contains glycerin which is basically did a little bit worse. Then I submerged the head in the bowl with gin (the strongest alcohol that I found at home, I don't have vodka :biggrin:). It didn't help.

The last idea was to put the head in a bowl with hot water and 5% vinegar (3 parts of vinegar and 1 part of water), covered the bowl with plastic wrap and then left it for 2 days. I washed the head with hand soap or dish soap (I don't remember exactly what I used) and waited until the hair got dry. Finally I was satisfied with result! It didn't have a waxy glue stripes and it wasn't that greasy anymore. It just a little bit greasy like saran hair and I am okay with that. I think I will do one more vinegar-water bath and then 1 aroma-bath with hair fragrance from Dollyhair :).

I would suggest to try coconut oil for your doll hair only if you are that desperate as me :biggrin:. If nothing wouldn't help, I'd reroot my doll. Or tried to figure out some another method to degrease the hair.

Offline LiquidCyanide

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 12, 2013, 01:21:14 PM »
I've recently discovered my Venus has the seep, and the Meowlody I treated last year has had it return and it had stained her hair yellow, yuck! I seem to have fixed it though, she's currently drying. I'm still contemplating how to go about washing Venus's :huh:

Offline Fräulein_Kim

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Glows in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 12, 2013, 01:27:07 PM »
Venus/GR Clawdeen getting it is a nightmare.. Mine don't have it yet - But I dread the day... x-x

Offline justkitter

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 12, 2013, 05:43:35 PM »
I've recently discovered my Venus has the seep, and the Meowlody I treated last year has had it return and it had stained her hair yellow, yuck! I seem to have fixed it though, she's currently drying. I'm still contemplating how to go about washing Venus's :huh:

Were you able to get the yellow out?  Did you use Tea Tree oil?

I think the yellowing bothers me more than the stickiness :mad:
I won't be checking this site anymore for messages.  If you need me, you can contact me at the MHArena :bigups:

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 12, 2013, 05:50:32 PM »
Yeah, Venus is either gonna be a huge pain the the rump to save, or possibly be a lost cause.  >,<; That flocking is really delicate. When mine got ruined and had a bad case of the glue smell, I replaced her with a Swimline Venus with her Signature make up.

Sniffing all my opened ghouls so far, everyone (Sig Robecca, Rochelle, & Jinafire) has the stinky glue smell, except for DT Frankie & Swimline Venus(es)
My Flickr Page

My Little Pony Checklist/Wishlist | Monster High Checklist/Wishlistvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

| For Sale | Wanted |

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal