collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Monster High Glue Seepage Thread  (Read 32500 times)

Offline rayedelsol

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Phoebe Nix
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
Re: Monster High Glue Seepage Thread
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2012, 06:22:44 PM »
supposedly all of the dolls from the Gloom Beach 5-pack are very prone to it (I can attest that Cleo from the pack certainly is at least), which makes sense given their price point and that they were likely rush-manufactured to meet demand.

I only have Gloom Beach Ghoulia from that line, and she doesn't have any seepage. I bring it up to ask: I wonder if she was done differently due to being ONLY available in the 5-pack?
Ghoulia is the only girl from this set that did not come out of the box with oily hair. My frankie from this set had horrible glue seepage, and Ghoulia is still perfectly fine. It is possible that may be because she was manufactured later, as the other girls are all re-boxes. So either she was made later and it mgiht stil lhappen in time, or she was made differently and might be safe.
Maybe the oil in saran helps the glue flow through the plugs easier, and kanekalon is better at plugging them up?

This actually makes so much sense!

Offline justkitter

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2012, 06:43:00 PM »
The problem is all these methods to remove the glue require you wash the hair out. It really is a pain if you are trying to keep the original hair style.

Yeah, I'm going to be upset if one my dolls with a difficult-to-recreate hairstyle starts showing signs. 

On a side note, I bet someone could make BIG MONEY starting a rehairing business, advertising helping people with glue seepage issues.  If someone could guarantee color match 100% and that they used the same hair type, etc etc etc, I'd probably just rehair the darn things!
I won't be checking this site anymore for messages.  If you need me, you can contact me at the MHArena :bigups:

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2012, 08:56:18 PM »
The problem is all these methods to remove the glue require you wash the hair out. It really is a pain if you are trying to keep the original hair style.

Yeah, I'm going to be upset if one my dolls with a difficult-to-recreate hairstyle starts showing signs. 

On a side note, I bet someone could make BIG MONEY starting a rehairing business, advertising helping people with glue seepage issues.  If someone could guarantee color match 100% and that they used the same hair type, etc etc etc, I'd probably just rehair the darn things!
I have to agree with this! If I knew for sure that someone could rehair one of my girls in an exact colour/pattern match with the same bangs, layering and length, I'd jump at the chance. It's just that even with supposedly saran hair, my MH girls feel a lot different than ponies with saran hair from DH.
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2012, 10:06:16 PM »
Does glue seepage cause scalp "color change"? I got my wave one Frankie back the other day and most of her scalp is this sickly yellow color. It couldn't really get it to scrape off. I was absolutely horrified when I saw that.

If someone offers rehairing in accurate stock colors/styles I will be alllll over that. Especially since my Frankie's front hair thing (I don't know the technical term, the plugs you can see very well in the front of that ponytail thing) isn't an even pattern (like black, white, black, white, black, etc). Its bothering me now that I've noticed.

Frankie Stein

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2012, 10:53:12 PM »
im thinking about giving ALL my dolls a good washing with the goof off 2 just to prevent some and get others clean -.- Maybe it helps if you wash it before it happens? Maybe holds it at bay longer :P

OH! Question ^.^ I have a couple dolls that I washed and let them "air dry" and there hair came out... Strandy, kinda like dread locks or "plug" locks lol... Is this because i'll need a blow dryer or is this how they dry naturally or could this be seepage in the hair?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 10:55:10 PM by Frankie Stein »

Offline Ravie

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • That's So Ravie
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2012, 12:08:12 PM »
from a rerooter's prospective - the hair is extremely hard to match and most of the 'streaks' they use are kanekalon. I know for a fact that Draculaura's pink hair is kanekalon and I can't find that shade of pink anywhere. I can't find any rainbow colors of kanekalon either. Pretty sure they could be ordered direct from a factory in asia if you could find one but you'd probably have to get ALOT of it and it would be expensive.

That said, I know colors used for several of the girls and can get them easily from either restore doll or dollyhair.

Off the bat I know Frankie's white hair is Ice White from DH, I haven't determined if her streaks are kanekalon or sran yet though. Lagoona's is champagne blond and lagoon blue. I haven't determined the brown in Cleo's hair or Clawdeen's different browns. It hasn't been a priority.

Styling them exactly would also be crazy expensive for the buyer. A barbie rerooter charged like $80 - mh have bigger heads more hair and the more the hair the harder it is to style.

Just saying ^^

@frankie - saran does dry like that but it should comb out rather easily, if it hasn't then there is a problem.

Offline justkitter

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2012, 01:44:24 PM »
Well, poo :lol:  Although, I know I've shopped colorful hair before, and was disapointed by the selection.  So yeah, I guess I should have figured all that out on my own :lol:

Taxel:  The glue has a yellow tinge to it, and I think it can effect the color of the doll's hair, especially Frankie with her white hair:(
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 01:46:08 PM by grzankitter »
I won't be checking this site anymore for messages.  If you need me, you can contact me at the MHArena :bigups:

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2012, 06:18:49 PM »
So, I am very very new to MH...just got my very first doll today (Ghouls Rule Abbey Bominable)!  Anyway, this thread is scaring me that if I leave her MIB like I had planned that I will end up with a gooey icky doll...as well if I get any others that I want.  I do not style or do anything with clothes or things like that with dolls and do not want to have to deal with this in a toy I collect.  What are the basics on this, etc.?  What should I be careful of?  My Abbey is made in Indonesia!

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2012, 06:25:19 PM »
Does glue seepage cause scalp "color change"? I got my wave one Frankie back the other day and most of her scalp is this sickly yellow color. It couldn't really get it to scrape off. I was absolutely horrified when I saw that.
From my experience, yes. On my Frankie with glue seepage the white paint on her hair was extremely yellowed.

Offline coinoperatedgirl

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I paint stuff.
    • View Profile
    • Coin-Operated Customs
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2012, 06:33:53 PM »
I haven't determined the brown in Cleo's hair or Clawdeen's different browns. It hasn't been a priority.
Due to a few pony customs with normal hair colors, I've got a bunch of browns in my hair box.  I'll take a look tomorrow when I've got natural light to compare against the dolls.

Offline Cassie85

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2012, 07:06:33 PM »
Here is a question. Has anyone had glue seepage problems with Nefera? I just got her today, and while she doesn't have and glue poblems, she doeshave the greasy seran hair. Does washing their hair cause any kind of glue seepage?
3ds 4613-8386-9357
AC Town Galifrey

Offline JigglesTheCat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2012, 07:43:58 PM »
So, I am very very new to MH...just got my very first doll today (Ghouls Rule Abbey Bominable)!  Anyway, this thread is scaring me that if I leave her MIB like I had planned that I will end up with a gooey icky doll...as well if I get any others that I want.  I do not style or do anything with clothes or things like that with dolls and do not want to have to deal with this in a toy I collect.  What are the basics on this, etc.?  What should I be careful of?  My Abbey is made in Indonesia!

I haven't heard of any Abbey's getting it, now that I think of it... And don't get too scared. I own the majority of the dolls who get glue seepage often, and not a single one has it. I think you'll be fine.  :biggrin: Also, they don't get glue seepage just for sitting in a box. Some do, but they would have it in box or not.

Most, if not all, of my dollies are from Indonesia. And so far, not a single one has any signs of glue seepage. Don't worry 'bout it!

Post Merge: August 28, 2012, 07:44:41 PM

Does washing their hair cause any kind of glue seepage?

I'm almost positive it doesn't, but if they DO have it, it makes it worse.
I took a break from the Arena from a couple months due to school and other things in my life. But I'm back now!

Offline Cassie85

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2012, 08:31:31 PM »
Well, her semi greasy hair doesn't bother me that much, so I don't think I'll chance it;)
3ds 4613-8386-9357
AC Town Galifrey

Frankie Stein

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2012, 09:29:41 PM »
Well, her semi greasy hair doesn't bother me that much, so I don't think I'll chance it;)

I heard a couple people having problems with Nefera seepage >.< I hope yours dosent do that too. I guess it gets all over her headpiece and its just a mess.

Offline Cassie85

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2012, 09:31:42 PM »

I heard a couple people having problems with Nefera seepage >.< I hope yours dosent do that too. I guess it gets all over her headpiece and its just a mess.

Gah! Don't tell me that, not I'm freaked out:(
Her scalp is clear though, so I think it's just the seran hair.
3ds 4613-8386-9357
AC Town Galifrey

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal