collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Solve my riddle  (Read 1913 times)

RetroMimic

• Trade Count: (0)
Solve my riddle
« on: August 23, 2012, 07:54:52 PM »
I was just wondering why my mimic pony is so sought after, what was so special about the character? :blink:
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 04:28:43 PM by hathorcat »

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
Re: Solve my riddle
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 08:20:35 PM »
No one bought her the first time around, pretty much. She was considered 'ugly'.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline TajazzleGlow

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Smoozed Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 08:21:16 PM »
I'll attempt to answer your question! :nerdy: Ahum..*clears throat*

Mimic was featured in a prominent episode of the 1980's My Little Pony cartoon. In the episode Mimic was going to disappear if the little ponies didn't find her magical horseshoes. Perhaps many pony collectors remember this episode and that's why they seek her out. Also she's green which is not a common color for US ponies. TAF Buttons and Cool Breeze the Windy Wing pony are also green and quite sought after as well. They don't have a high as price tag as Mimic tho.   
Formally known as "BabySpicyMustard"

Offline JigglesTheCat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 08:25:29 PM »
I've been wondering this too - I'm guessing it's her color combo, and the fact that she has twinkly eyes.
I took a break from the Arena from a couple months due to school and other things in my life. But I'm back now!

RetroMimic

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 08:28:24 PM »
Ah yes and the golden horseshoes which she needs, I remember this episode hmm green ones huh... thanks for info I just cant believe my fav one is worth $$$, and shes not ugly, I've seen uglier ones lol

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 08:32:51 PM »
If going by how Hasbro packed G3's which I used to get to stock out, she was probably short packed as well.  That means in a box that holds say 6 ponies you got two of two and one of each of the other two that made up that assortment.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

RetroMimic

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 08:36:00 PM »
They do the same thing with monster high dolls I've noticed.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 10:12:29 PM »
Nope, she was not short-packed.  There were six Twinkle-Eyes in her set (the five new ones plus re-released Speedy) and they were all packed in equal numbers.

Basically, the first time she showed up on eBay in the 90s she generated a bidding war because a lot of people remembered her from the cartoon.   So her price went higher than normal.   Then she didn't show up for a while, and when she showed up the second time there was another bidding war and her price went even higher.

Eventually she got a reputation for being rare, which is not really accurate.  But it doesn't matter that it's not accurate--because people THOUGHT of her as rare, she became a status symbol for pony collectors.  And she also has very unique colors, so she's sought after for that reason.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 04:28:16 PM »
Its just the way it goes sometimes :) I honestly dont think there is a good explanation - every set seems to have a pony or two who is simply more sought after than the others - and are therefore more expensive [Red Roses or Diamond Dreams are another couple of examples]. She isnt rarer than any other pony from that set she is simply more wanted by more people - therefore more people bid and therefore she costs more money.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 04:40:29 PM »
I adore Mimic. The only episodes of mlp I had for my own use as a child was the final episode of her friends looking for her horse shoes to save her. I had no idea about the mlp community, how sought after she was or why, but when I at last got internet, I went to ebay thinking I could at LAST have the pony of my dreams from my childhood and well....she was a LOT more than I was expecting O_O

There's a lot of rare or sought after ponies that are 'status' symbols among collectors, and whether Mimic is one or not doesn't change the fact that after Firefly, Mimic was my favorite pony when I was young, and to this day, holds the number two spot in my heart of all things mlp.

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 04:48:22 PM »
I have a mimic and i love her dearly I saw her for the first time and just had to have her.

RetroMimic

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 07:53:28 PM »
Ok correct me if I am wrong but wasnt she only in the on episode where they went to get the golden horseshoes for her?

Offline StarDragon

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I'm a My Little Pony mommy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 08:04:17 PM »
When I saw how high her price was, it kinda made me sad (I never had pony toys as a girl so I knew I must get Mimic at some point but darn her price! lol)... as a child the top list of my favorite episodes were the mimic ones.They had something mysterious about the quality  of a disappearing pony, an ancient/royal line and of course being the most powerful unicorn. ^^ I can see why she is so popular in that way.

Price fluctuation is an interesting thing to watch over the years.

RetroMimic

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 08:07:09 PM »
When I saw how high her price was, it kinda made me sad (I never had pony toys as a girl so I knew I must get Mimic at some point but darn her price! lol)... as a child the top list of my favorite episodes were the mimic ones.They had something mysterious about the quality  of a disappearing pony, an ancient/royal line and of course being the most powerful unicorn. ^^ I can see why she is so popular in that way.

Price fluctuation is an interesting thing to watch over the years.

Agreed its amazing how somethings go up and such

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 04:23:18 AM »
Ok correct me if I am wrong but wasnt she only in the on episode where they went to get the golden horseshoes for her?

Yes she only ever pops up in the one episode :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal