collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Don't you hate it when  (Read 826 times)

Offline SwordPony

• Trade Count: (+271)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Don't you hate it when
« on: August 22, 2012, 04:36:47 PM »
So I've been collection both Pullips and MH the last little while. My Pullips came first. I have 8 so far. I love them so much.

I have a very small collection of MH dolls. Something like 5-6.

Anywho let me get to my title. My hubby is making me choose between them. He has no problem with me collecting at all. He just thinks I need to focus on one or the other. And in a way I see where he is coming from.

I kinda have no problem with it either. I think he is right. And I'm not as into my MH dolls any more. Does make me a little sad but its time for MH to go.

So anyone else every have to choose one collection or the other.

Offline JigglesTheCat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Don't you hate it when
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 04:42:36 PM »
I have recently put my doll collecting to a pause, but I'm not selling any of them. I'm just not buying them, and focusing on my pony collecting for a while, 'cause I've been kinda neglecting them. So it's not much of a major decision if you ask me.

Making big decisions like dropping an entire collection can be a a little hard but that means you can get more pullips, so it's better in the long run. ^_^
I took a break from the Arena from a couple months due to school and other things in my life. But I'm back now!

Offline karrie91

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 04:47:13 PM »
Well I sorta did that with my Pokemon collection. It's put on hold because I kind of don't have inspiration to get anything else. I have an entire wall dedicated to it.. lots of figures, stuffed animals, etc. It makes me sad not to go and buy more and I would never EVER sell.. I just want to focus on my dolls right now.

I am REALLY into Monster High right now but there's so many other dolls I can't pass up. I could never choose one line to buy. Actively I'm buying Winx, Monster High, La Dee Da, and random others like Disney and Novi Stars, etc.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Actively buying Buddy L Ponies

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 04:48:32 PM »
Nope. I have tons of different collections and I have never been forced into giving any up. I did willingly stop collecting LPS because I just didn't stay into them, but my husband is always supportive of everything I collect. I've got a room full of different collections and hubbs isn't really bothered by it.

I buy what I like and I like what I buy. I'll shuffle between what I'm buying based on what's being released or what I really want at the time. One month I'll buy Nendos and ponies, another month dolls, another month it'll be webcomic prints and art. I'm all over the place. Hubbs is cool with it. We're pretty nuts, though.

Ai from Aurora
AC Wants | Furniture Catalog | Clothing Catalog

Offline PandaBerryInSpace

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 05:31:42 PM »
I just recently made the same decision. I realized, after getting my Byul, and then my Tangkou, that I had very little interest in obtaining any more Monster High dolls, or any other playline dolls, for that matter. I'm not really sad about it either, what with the quality control issues that MH is facing. ^^; I'm probably going to focus on Pullips and similar dolls from now on...

Avatar art by January Joy, siggy art by DreamCatcher! Thank you so much! <3

ACNL FC: 3754 6763 3133

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 05:45:21 PM »
No one has ever tried to force me to stop collecting, and I would be absolutely livid if someone tried. But my boyfriend and I have had talks before about us needing to stop buying collection items (for me) and video games (for him). We both understand why we needed to slow down and then stop, and we're both fine with it. There was no forcing or rudeness or anything. He also didn't pressure me to sell my things, and I didn't pressure him. Some people have pressured me, while not selling any of their equally "useless" possessions, and it was very upsetting. Just seemed like they didn't like my collection out of nowhere and wanted me to give up everything.

However, since then, I've sold a few collection pieces and bought a few new ones with that money. He understands, as best he can, how much what I sold and what I bought means to me. He downright refused to let me spend the money from a certain item on anything but the dolls I wanted. He's absolutely wonderful, and our "collections" cost about the same so he can't get on my case too much. xD He's even encouraged me not to sell certain things, think about it for a long time, etc because even if we get money for them, he wouldn't want me regretting the choice and not being able to get back what I sold. (Made that mistake once already. >.<)

And like any normal person, I loose interest with things for various reasons. My pony collection is on hold because I can get amazing dolls (and clothing/accessories) for them at the same price, and for now the dolls bring me the most joy and can be used the most. I stopped collecting G4 and sold/traded most of my collections because of never ending quality issues, and then began collecting Filly Princess instead (which also work as perfectly sized doll accessories xD). Recently something caught my interest in ponies again, and I want to get some ponies on my wishlist ASAP. I think its normal to switch your collecting focus, or just stop for a while. Some people act like its the end of the world, and its not.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 06:11:58 PM »
There are only two reasons to give up a collection:
1.) You've lost interest in the things you used to collect
2.) Money issues or obsession (your top priority becomes collecting and you spend way too much money on it/you start neglecting rent, family, food to have more money to spend on your collection)

If you love to collect two lines of dolls - so what? Some people are into two different kinds of sports or two different kinds of movie genres and I'm sure nobody tells them to stop watching one of them.

As long as your collection habits are healthy and are not endangering your finances or social life, no one has the right to make you choose.
I have small collections of Transformers, Cherry Merry Muffin, MLP G1 + G4 and recently I've started to buy some MHs.
So far no one has told me to choose only one of them and if they did, I'd just shrug and show them the door ;)

Now, you've already said you like your Pullips more than MH and you can't really see yourself collecting MH anymore. That's totally fine! Interests change over time :)

Offline karrie91

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 06:21:46 PM »
Hmmm.. what exactly is an unhealthy obsession? I have a bad habit for saving all my spending money for buying different toys for my collections. Including kind of making myself an outcast and having not much of a social life. I don't miss hanging out with friends. It's never been my thing.. Is that considered unhealthy? I still pay bills, eat.. etc.

Actively buying Buddy L Ponies

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 06:31:33 PM »
Personally, I'd say its when you're neglecting food, bills, etc to get more collection pieces and when you really cannot stop buying no matter what.

I'm also fairly anti-social (no real life friends, no desire for them, etc) and the only things I *want* to buy are collection items, so if I have spending money that's what I buy. I can and have slowed down/stopped buying, and I most definitely have limits (i.e. I don't have much space, so I don't want more big things and I have 20 Livs and do not want more than three more because its too much). I still hang out with people (I chat on here/IMs and have a few close friends I talk to regularly) and try and do things with my boyfriend when possible to get out of the house, so its not like I'm locked up with nothing but ponies/dolls all day long. I don't think my collecting is unhealthy in my particular case, but I'd say it depends on a particular person's personality. I've always been like this, even before I collected, so its not like I changed.

Offline SwordPony

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 06:35:34 PM »
I'm not anti social or anything but I don't like to hang out with a lot of people. Most of the people I was friends with seem to have forgotten me.

I don't negliect anything for any of my collections. I do collect ponies too. He's not forcing me to collect one or the other. He just thinks that having one or the other would be better then both. As I don't spend alot of time with some of the things I have. Which is why I sell and use the money to buy other things.

Offline Flaileigh

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 07:20:50 PM »
I jump around my collections, too. Right now culling them to free up some space and then focusing on gaming for a bit. (Just ordered a RetroN 3 so's I can play my Sega Genesis, NES and SNES games on one system! A dream come true~)  :lol:

If you want MH's again, you can always go back to it. The prices may not be the same, but there'll be other variations and customs... I'm considering selling mine, too. No biggie.  ^.^

Offline Zombelina

• Scarily Ever After
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 10:51:00 PM »
I don't permanently choose between my collections or make one go for good in favour of another one... I just shift my focus around and put things in storage/take them out again, because my focus will probably shift back someday! I haven't sold off any of my collections (I'll sell pieces I don't want, but not whole collections) because I know I'd regret it somewhere down the line... I didn't collect ponies for 10 years but I stored them instead of getting rid of them and now I'm awfully glad of that ^^;

I think if it's saddening to think of stopping a collection, it's better to just store it and not actively get any more, rather than to entirely get rid of it (unless you really desperately need money/space) :) Less chance of future heartache!
:heart: sales/trades ~ on hiatus :heart:

Offline barbgirl1999

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/barbgirl1999
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 05:24:30 AM »
I'm with everyone who has stated that they just tend to shift focus from time to time.  I'm not actively collecting ponies anymore and I sold off a huge chunk of them to pay for new dolls, but I don't regret it.  It felt good to get rid of the ones I bought on a whim, or those I got just to complete a set.  Now I'm narrowed down to my absolute favorites and I like it that way. 

I don't think I could ever pick just ONE type of doll to collect, I'm not a "Monster High Collector" or a "BJD Collector"  I'm a "Doll Collector"...I probably have at least a dozen different types of dolls, and I don't want to give any of them up.  Thankfully, my husband has never asked me to choose between them.  If he did, I'd just make him choose between the XBox, PS3, Wii, PS2, Vita, 3DS, and N64..."sorry, I can only have one kind of doll?  You can only buy one kind of game."  ^_^

~Rodan+Fields~

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 05:44:12 AM »
I know how you feel- I've collected G1s on and off throughout my life, but I discovered MH back in January maybe December? And I couldn't afford to fund both my G1 collection and my growing love for MH. I decided to postpone G1 collecting- they were safely wrapped and put into the loft 2 months ago now, and my MH and G4s have taken over my display cabinet, in fairness, I don't regret putting my G1 purchasing on hold, they are all safe, but for now I want to focus on my MH love. Being a 17 year old student with a part time job means I now have to be more sensible with money, so now I've said I'm allowed one pony/doll buy a month, but as many trades as I want or is possible. :) Actually, what I'm buying from you SwordPony is going to be my August purchase :) xxx

Offline SwordPony

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 06:46:05 AM »
Here is the thing I use to have around 40 MH dolls and I've been slowly getting rid of them over time. I've felt my self slowly falling out of love with them. I didn't get rid of them all at once. A little at a time to see if I was gonna miss them. I really haven't. I bought new clothes for my Pullips. At least with Pullips I don't feel the need to have every single one of them.

I don't get as excited when  I see them in stores anymore. I thinking my Hubby is just doing what he does best helping me in making that finally decision about finally just getting rid of them all. All but one. He he.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal