collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MLP Panel at Gen Con 2012  (Read 998 times)

Offline sailorstitch

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Instagram @sailorstitch
    • View Profile
MLP Panel at Gen Con 2012
« on: August 20, 2012, 07:56:13 PM »
I just got back from Gen Con, the gaming convention I go to every year. This year I got a nice pony surprise. They were having a MLP panel this year! It was titled "My Little Pony: This Panel is Magic!" The panel was at 6 pm on Sat. Before the panel I was at the costume contest because my friend was in it this year. I left costume contest at about 10 till 6 (after my friend had already been on). It took me about 5 minutes to get to the room where the panel was being held. I went in, found a seat, got my camera out and got settled in. A couple minutes later a con staff member realized that there was more people showing up then would fit in the room. There couldn't be anybody sitting on the floor or standing in the back because it was a fire hazard. If the fire marshal caught them letting people do that the whole con could be shut down.  :shocked:

The staff member asked who had a ticket for the event. I didn't even know that there were tickets! The panels are always free. The staff member made everybody that didn't have a ticket leave the room.  :( That included me. But I wasn't stupid. I went out the door and stood right next to the door frame. I was pressed up against the wall right behind a sign that told what would be going on in that room on that day. It's a good thing I'm a tiny person.

After everyone that didn't have a ticket was out (which was at least 90% of the people), the staff member asked for people that had generic tickets. I didn't have one. At this point I was sure I wasn't getting in.  :cry: After those people were in a guy gave two extra generic tickets to the staff member so two more people could get in. The staff member guy held up the two tickets, one in each hand, and said "Ok I got two more tickets." I ripped one of those tickets out of his hand so fast that he just stood there and stared at me dumbfounded.  :shocked: I hated being rude about it, but I was NOT going to miss this panel if I could help it.  :blush: I felt I needed to get in because I wanted to share this panel with all of you. As I was going in somebody else donated a HUGE string of generic tickets. There had to be at least 30 tickets there! That's when the crowd started pushing and grabbing for the tickets. :biggrin: I found a new seat which was better than my first one and got settled in again. After they had filled all the seats, the staff that was running the panel gave up most of their chairs (about 6 of them) so they could get a few more people in. I thought that was really nice. Even though the whole thing was a madhouse, it was very much in the spirit of FIM.

The guy running the panel said that they were doing this as a test run to see if MLP would do well at Gen Con. I think it went over VERY well.  :P

My videos of the panel are uploading as I type. I'll ETA in the links when they're done.

Ok, they're done.

Mods, the panel had a PG-13 rating. There are a few harsh word used, but they are all in the first video. If you're not ok with the few words then I'll need help editing the video so they can be bleeped out.

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUHaXXn9ZzA&feature=youtu.be

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fZBXSRrGUA&feature=youtu.be

Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY4owdSPVwg&feature=youtu.be

Part 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDVKBmFlX-M&feature=youtu.be

sailorstitch

« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 06:00:16 AM by sailorstitch »

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Re: MLP Panel at Gen Con 2012
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 03:03:36 AM »
Thats interesting...I am glad you managed to get in. What was the panel actually about?

Edit for spelling fail
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 04:02:56 AM by hathorcat »
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline blu_clouds

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 03:14:39 AM »
I think we'll learn more when the videos are uploaded.  This could be interesting.  I never realized how many conventions there are...never heard of a Gen Con. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline sailorstitch

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 06:02:32 AM »
The videos are up! Sorry it took so long. The upload time took longer than I was expecting. I ended up leaving the computer on and going to bed. :P Enjoy the show!

sailorstitch

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 06:46:01 AM »
Can't listen to the videos cuz I'm at work at the moment, but I was very pleased to see this topic in the Corral this morning!

I used to live in Indianapolis and my friends are the ones who put Gen Con together! That was three years ago, I've kinda lost touch with them after moving across the country. But how neat to have put together a FiM panel! I can't wait to listen to the video when I get home from work tonight. ^_^
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 07:59:59 AM »
I've been to Gen Con (thanks to my gaming husband).  It's mostly for gamers and I remember enjoying the shopping area but not much else.  I just don't game. 

I am sure it has expanded since I was there which was at least 15 years ago, but I wonder what new non-gamer things they have.  I don't think I will ever go back to find out unless my husband drags me there.

Offline Wildshadow

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Favorites of all time? Surprise, Danny and Spike!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/kriticosium/
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 09:41:19 AM »
OH GOODNESS YOU WERE THERE?!? O.O I wish I knew that!  Could have met up and everything D=

I'm so glad I got passed my shyness and asked if I had to have a ticket for it at the event ticket counter. I got a ticket the day before = D I recorded most of the panel myself as well. And was such a dummy for missing a G1 question X D But it saved myself from getting something I already had, heh!

Your recording is probably better than mine, I'll have to look at yours =D  The only part I liked in the panel was the whole seating mess and the beginning...Which I recorded most of the seating mess when I was sitting XD

We'll have to meet up next year for it, if ya want ^.~ It would be good to see you again, my Surprise still wears the 'necklace' I got from you ^.^

Thanks Starscout for the sig and Shaiyeh thanks for the avatar  :heart: Ombyshadow

Offline sailorstitch

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 01:54:41 PM »
I'm there every year! You probably saw me. I was cosplaying as Sailor Venus that day.

sailorstitch

Offline sailorstitch

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 03:38:10 PM »
So has anybody watched the videos? I'd like to hear what you thought of the panel.

sailorstitch

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 05:54:55 PM »
I thought it was interesting thanks for uploading them :) I always find it amazing how much interest FiM seems to have brought to MLP from so many different perspectives and its cute to see guys and girls who only a couple of years ago may have dismissed an interest in the brand, willing to sit down and learn [or even be the one giving the speech] about MLP.

I found the discussion interesting and refreshingly honest outlook on the out and out marketing strategy that the cartoon actually is.

Its great you got a chance to listen in.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline sailorstitch

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 06:56:22 AM »
Thanks for your input hathorcat!

Anybody else?

sailorstitch

Offline DonkeyGrl2002

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+78)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 08:57:23 AM »
Thanks for uploading the Videos! I am at work on my lunch  :blush:but will watch them when I get home  ;)
The Gen Con is not far so if they bring on more MLP stuff I may have to go!  :cool:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal