collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Cleaning So-Softs  (Read 528 times)

sarafina

• Trade Count: (0)
Cleaning So-Softs
« on: August 19, 2012, 05:04:24 PM »
A friend recently gave me a bag of her childhood G1s, including SS Twilight, and I'd love to try to clean that girl up.  I've never cleaned a SS pony before, though, and I really don't want to damage her flocking...any advice would be wonderful! :)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 04:52:56 PM by hathorcat »

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning So-Softs
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 05:16:03 PM »
Hey, sarafina! ^.^

I've had success using cold/tepid water and Spot Shot carpet cleaner.  I took my brownish speckled Wind Whistler and brought her all minty again!  (If you want to have a look, the thread's here, complete with dish soap misadventure: http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,301719.msg291878.html#msg291878 )

The only thing I've got to say is go very, very, very carefully when you scrub.  And use your fingers rather than a toothbrush or other scrubber (with rubber gloves if your skin is sensitive and not old boot leather like mine).  For some reason, the flocking seems to know when you want it to stay, and then it goes; when you want it gone, you practically have to sandblast it off.  Seriously. :|
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

Offline Henpatch

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 08:39:28 PM »
I have washed a lot of So Softs......so far with success.
I just use warm water (far from hot) and a good detergent ( I actually used Amway LOC - but any reputable soapy cleaner is good - even just a good dishwashing detergent)
I don't totally soak the pony - just lightly wet it and lightly rub in the soap with your fingers. Rinse well and squeeze dry in a towel. Then leave her in a nice warm spot (NEVER strong sunlight) and they usually come up okay!
Of course if the pony's "Fur" is bedraggled and really flattened and grotty.......it may never be nice - but anything is worth a try!
Also be VERY careful with their hair!!! Ponies like "Surprise" and "Lofty" -"Ribbon" - "Paradise" etc- their chartreuse hair when wet can make a BIG nasty mark on the body if it is not firmly wrapped in something so it can't touch the body.
Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 08:49:01 PM by Henpatch »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my lovely Jumble pony

Offline butterflybuttons

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Feeling the G2 love
    • View Profile
    • My outdated DA
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 08:45:30 PM »
I use cold water and a LITTLE oxyclean or fabric softener (depends if it's filthy, or just a little dirty)

I just swish them in the water for a bit, and lightly rub my finger over any dirty bits. I've found that the fluff that tends to catch on the flocking is easier to get off once it has dried.

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 10:05:07 PM »
I use cold water and baby shampoo.  :)

Just don't scrub too hard and you should be fine.  Light washing is best.  Also, I like to use a little conditioner on the flocking - makes it nice and soft (at least, it works on mine.)

Good luck!  SS Twilight is lovely.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Juri

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • The Revolutionary Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 11:13:06 PM »
Thanks to this thread I finally realised what the mark on my SS Paradise is! Its from her hair~!
.. the more you know !

sarafina

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 10:24:51 AM »
For some reason, the flocking seems to know when you want it to stay, and then it goes; when you want it gone, you practically have to sandblast it off.  Seriously. :|

:lol: I think I'll practice first on one of my baity So-Softs, in that case!

Thanks so much for the input, everyone!  Twilight's flocking just has some stains on it, and her hair still has its original curl.  I'll try out some of these methods and will be sure to post a picture of her when she's all clean! :)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »
I am a believer in toothpaste :) As others have said cold water and super careful and delicate when "scrubbing" as so soft fur comes off surprisingly easy. But I have heard people use everything from baby shampoo to fabric softener!

Good luck!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal