collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Filters of pony perception  (Read 908 times)

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
Filters of pony perception
« on: August 19, 2012, 08:23:49 AM »
So I was reading a bit about pop psychology recently (can't remember where, sorry), and the author suggested that our brains are wired with a series of self-made filters of perception.  For instance, if I take an interest in baseball, I'll find references to baseball all round me, in places I had never noticed it before I became interested in and thus had "opened" my filters of perception to baseball.

I noticed this recently since I've been back into collecting ponies.  My filters of pony perception are opened.  Example:  at work, they've installed an inventory management program on our handhelds, and the initials are FIM.  What would've been a useless acronym to me before (I'm not involved in inventory management) now makes me smile when I see it on my screen, as I think ponies!  And the filters of pony perception have made my work day a bit happier. ^.^

Anypony else have any stories of pony perception making inroads into their lives?  Just curious on this lazy Sunday. ^.^

Okay, just dodging chores on this lazy Sunday, but what the hay, I'm still curious. :lol:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • Trade Count: (+259)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
Re: Filters of pony perception
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 10:09:01 AM »
Interesting! I will have to think about it a bit and see if I can come up with how pony perception infiltrates my life :)
Man who wear lampshade on head is bright!

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 10:15:27 AM »
The only thing I can think of at the moment is that whenever I see something in really bad shape, no matter what it is, the first word I can think of to describe it is "baity."

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 10:32:41 AM »
The first one I noticed was when hubbs became obsessed with that "Now you're just somebody that I used to know" song. Whenever he sang it, I would always think (and sometimes sing) "Now you're just somepony that I used to know". Now I never hear it properly. LOL.

Ai from Aurora
AC Wants | Furniture Catalog | Clothing Catalog

MikaylaIsSoCoolLike

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 10:42:48 AM »
When I came home from a lake today, and I could have sworn the sign said Sundance instead of Stelton  :lol: I also find little pony references here and there.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 01:47:52 PM »
Cute idea! I cant say I have noticed something like that in my life but then again perhaps there is simply too much pony that I dont think its odd anymore if I find comparisons in real life :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Unicorn_pops

• Trade Count: (+359)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Baby and Winger Collector
    • View Profile
    • Pony Collection
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 02:48:57 PM »
I don't know so much about observing ponies around my daily life other than at home. But I know what your saying b/c we are looking at purchasing a new car. Now that I found one I think I want, I see tons of them whenever were out now.

Sale Post  My Collection  My Customs

Offline moonflower

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • collecting est. 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 02:57:36 PM »
I see ponies everywhere! Sometimes I misread things as pony related or things remind me of ponies. I saw some Haribo Heart Throbs sweets yesterday and of course I instantly thought of Heart Throb.

Offline Sakuyamon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • artist for hire
    • View Profile
    • http://Sakuyamon.deviantart.com
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 03:08:57 PM »
Sounds legitimate. I have noticed myself that once I learn something, I react to it once I see something related to it

Offline Watercolors

• Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Collector of G1 and G2!
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 05:03:19 PM »
I always misread a sign about a town close to mine. It says "berryville 5 miles" but I always read it as "ponyville 5 miles"!

Offline RAMChYLD

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
    • http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/RAMChYLD
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 08:59:25 PM »
That was the thing that was driving me completely nuts and constantly causing my depression after I went on hiatus because of what Hasbro did with the Pony Wedding. Everywhere I look, I see pony references, if not references to Madeline. :yikes:
I'm cataloging FIM pony product codes! Check it out! | My Wish list. Updated in real time. | My G4 Army register

Offline Sarah-Bee

• Alice Cooper's Minion Pony
  • Trade Count: (+163)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 12:49:03 AM »
Yeah I've had this :) I see pony names everywhere and I keep meaning to take pics of them for a funny photo album of pony related stuff, such as the sandwich shop over the road from where I work is called Munchy's, there's a company who's vans I see driving about called North Star, Sundance is a make of caravan and there was a Lemon Drop bar on CSI :P

It's also happened with non pony stuff too, such as when I decided to get my car a few years ago, I'd notice that type of car everywhere whereas I hadn't really noticed it til I decided to get it.

Psychology fascinates me.

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 02:04:22 AM »
I've had ponies on the brain but not quite a perception filter yet.

One situation that made me lol was when I was talking to my lecturer about the castings I was doing. I was checking that I should invest in a J4 flask but I kept saying G4 and my lecturer was getting confused. Lol it was so stupid, my brain just kept making me replace J with G.

I know I've got a few other perception filters though. An obvious example is when you meet someone that you've passed by day after day, not an important meeting but you recognise them now... and from then on you realise just how often you and this person pass each other because you spot them every time. Similarly I used to hate My Little Ponies, they didn't even blip on my radar of awareness, after a change of heart (thank god) I see them everywhere!
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 02:47:18 AM »
I saw a car one time with a license plate that had a jumble of letters and numbers, but in the letters it said MLP!! I squealed of course and said, "My Little Pony license plate!!" :lol:
My Wish List

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 04:52:29 AM »
Milky Way road.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal