collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Baits  (Read 723 times)

Offline PinkStar

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Custom Bait Pony
    • View Profile
Baits
« on: August 18, 2012, 06:28:50 PM »
This is kind of a random question and probably something I should know by now, hahaha. 

Anyway, what exactly classifies a pony as bait?? I'm not the pickiest collector, but sometimes I see people selling ponies listed as bait in the 'for sale' forum, and the ponies don't look that bad to me.   :P :biggrin:

Are there particular things I should look for??  (Certain qualities that make a pony bait)

If anyone can enlighten me, it would be super helpful (for me as a buyer and a seller!) I'd hate to sell or buy something 'bait' quality thinking it's in pretty good condition. LOL

~PinkStar

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
Re: Baits
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 06:34:39 PM »
Sure! Down there in my signature there's a link to the "Bait Reference Guide" on the Wiki.  :)

http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/Bait

Edit:

Also I just wanna say you are awesome for asking about it!  :accomplished:
Thank you!

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 09:03:17 PM »
Yes, the bait guide that gabumon posted is a great reference! 'Bait' is sort of in the eye of the beholder, but there are a lot of ponies that should NEVER be baited no matter what, otherwise a LOT of collectors would be totally devastated.

I think first and foremost, before you sell a pony, you want to identify the pony, and find out what flaws to look for. Then you'll need to look up a price check (either search completed auctions on ebay or ask here). When in doubt, always ask before setting a price or baiting a pony if you are a customizer.
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

CrimsonEtClover

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 09:50:03 PM »
I've found very pretty ponies listed as bait (but I'm not ultra picky), as well as hideous baity ponies *not* listed as bait... so it's somewhat subjective.

I'm pretty grateful for the picky collectors who sell cheap, less-than-perfect ponies as bait! Without them, I wouldnt have so many lovelies<3

Offline Sarah-Bee

• Alice Cooper's Minion Pony
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 03:30:52 AM »
When I'm selling ponies I tend to use the description 'poor condition' and then the person purchasing the pony can make up their mind whether to bait them or not. Hopefully of course if I sell a rare or HTF pony in poor condition its new owner won't bait it!

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 03:54:08 AM »
IMO bait is when it's unfixable. But for me it has to be in a terrible state to be baited. I don't customise anymore, I try to restore all G1s instead.
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline Like A Tea Spoon

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Yellow Pony Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 04:17:53 AM »
 ^.^ Plenty of my collection of G1 babies were sold under "bait" listings on Ebay. Frizzled hair, tail rust, hair cuts and maybe some rusted Beddy Bye Eye mechs are probably the worst of my issues with my ponies right now. Most of my "bait" ponies just need a little work, some new hair and a good cleaning or sun fading.

I agree, if not for mislabeled "bait" pony lots on Ebay, I wouldn't have more than half of my collection right now.

Avvie By Watercolors

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 07:16:50 AM »
Yeah, a lot of my collection was also sold/traded as bait! I think some people dismiss ponies as baits waaay to quickly (with some of them there was *nothing* wrong!). Still, as CrimsonEtClover said, I guess we, less picky collectors should be glad we get good ponies for low prices :P but it makes me sad a lot of the times to see what kind of ponies end up as baits :(
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 08:08:23 AM »
Over the years I have collected so many ponies that were in not the best condition that I have a strict definition of bait (at least for G1 ponies). If the pony can not be restored or cleaned then its bait. I do not consider hair cuts to be bait, they can give a pony personality. But a missing leg, completely missing symbols, discolorations/regrind past repair.... that's bait. :P

The bait reference guide on My Little Wiki is great. Anything that falls into the last two categories can be bait if a common pony.

As for G3 ponies, as long as they aren't rare or exclusives, they make easier bait since they are still more common.
~Foxtale~

Offline DaffyDilly

• Daffy loves mints
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 08:26:25 AM »
For me, a pony is bait if the amount of work required to restore it, is equal to or greater than the amount of work required to (properly) customise it.

There are exceptions - like Mimic is never bait, but a G1 Peachy will quite often be baited even in reasonable condition because she's still super common and hard to sell.

You'll still find people baiting perfectly good G3s and of course brand new G4s.

I am not a picky collector - some of my ponies have fairly major flaws - so I can struggle to find ponies that I'll actually bait.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 11:11:05 AM »
Personally I find the term "bait" such a difficult one - but that's mainly because I truly believe whether a pony is bait is completely subjective and individual.

I can rehair but thats pretty much where my restoring skills stop therefore if a pony needs more work then a couple of plugs or a new tail, then I wont be including it in my collection and so, while it may not be "bait", I would consider it of lower value than other people may consider it. Is it bait? No but to me it has the same kind of value. On the other hand I have heard people say that G1s are never bait no matter the condition - missing limbs and ears all are repairable. So for some people bait doesn't happen at all while for others "bait" is a higher level and perhaps what I consider "bait" other people will consider just "poor" or "fair".

Its a difficult judgement and honestly largely one which I think most people should decide upon themselves as only you can know what level of damage/issue is acceptable or completely unacceptable to you :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Starly

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 11:23:25 AM »
Because some people consider brand new G4s custom bait, then bait is truly a 100% opinionated term.
Though I have never seen a 'poor' conditioned G4 pony.
When the Equestria Girls dolls show up in stores and you end up with unneeded doubles, PM me! I'll buy them!/i]

Offline HollowZero

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Nightmint av by Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 11:45:49 AM »
G4s are considered custom bait if they're not rare, just because they are still being manufactured currently.

Anyone can walk in and buy a Rarity to customize, there are so many of them.

Hello! Please visit my art gallery! Commissions are: open for now

tiktok

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 11:59:03 AM »
My best-condition G1 pony was in a bait lot - it's Magic Hat, and she's white as a fresh sheet of printer paper with great hair. She even came with her original ribbon. The only mark on her is a tiny pink stain on the outside her off-side rear hoof, that I could probably do something about if I tried.

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 01:48:30 PM »
I have an Up Up and Away with her feet nearly all chewed off but she looks fine wearing a pair of G1 shoes.

I have to argue that a lot of the problems listed on that link as unfixable are perfectly fixable, and leeching plastic is listed as an easy fix but I've never been able to fix it.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 01:52:27 PM by HavACrumpet452 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal