collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Can I use paint stripper to deflock a So-Soft without damaging symbols?  (Read 398 times)

Offline Queen Eclipsia

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
Ok, first of all, I know this has probably been asked about 20 BAZILLION times, but I just keep seeing conflicting information online. After about 2 hrs of research, I am more confused than before.
The method I would like to use is the acetone for body and Jasco for symbols method. However, there was no Jasco at Home Depot, as they no longer carry that name brand at my store. The employee there gave my husband an equal product with a different name: Klean Strip.
I'm afraid to use it! I mean, it looks to be exactly the same as the Jasco on Unicornocopia's site, but of course it could be MUCH different in practical use!
I've read several threads where paint stripper is mentioned - and the poster has stated that symbols were unaffected by the stripper.

Has anyone used paint stripper on ponies to deflock over eyes and symbols? Is there a trick to this? Let it sit, wipe off gently, etc? Or should I just stick to Jasco and go to Lowe's tomorrow in hopes they have it?

Thanks everyone!

lisey_baby

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Can I use paint stripper to deflock a So-Soft without damaging symbols?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 04:26:38 PM »
Wish I could help you out. Would be interesting to see the verdict on paint stripper. I'm currently half way through a de-flock of crumpet, but kinda lost motivation when I wasn't getting anywhere fast with nail varnish remover (I didn't have any acetone at the time), and then discovered pindot. Really should finish her, as the poor thing looks worse than when I started. Lets hope someone can give you advice very soon. However you could possibly get acetone off eBay, I only buy mine in small quantities from a local chemist, but should really invest in a bigger container from eBay as British shops don't seem to stock it :(

Offline Alatariel-Silimaure

• Rainbow Glitter Bomb Pony
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 04:31:05 PM »
Have you tried testing it on a bait?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Check out my Sales! MLP, Non MLP, customs, and more!

Offline Prismatic

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+55)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 04:54:19 PM »
If you're concerned about the stripper, just use rubbing alcohol on the paint.  It removes the glue, but is safe on the paint.  It takes a few sessions, tho.  The only time it didn't work was on my Angel.  Her glue was incredibly stubborn, and I resorted to acetone lol (with a light hand, acetone will remove the glue and leave the paint, but you risk taking paint with it if you're not careful.)  I've read that the year 2 so softs have that glue problem in general.  I use a 91% isopropyl alcohol (to avoid any confusion), and I used it straight from the bottle, on a cotton ball. 

Offline Queen Eclipsia

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 05:03:56 PM »
Wish I could help you out. Would be interesting to see the verdict on paint stripper. I'm currently half way through a de-flock of crumpet, but kinda lost motivation when I wasn't getting anywhere fast with nail varnish remover (I didn't have any acetone at the time), and then discovered pindot. Really should finish her, as the poor thing looks worse than when I started. Lets hope someone can give you advice very soon. However you could possibly get acetone off eBay, I only buy mine in small quantities from a local chemist, but should really invest in a bigger container from eBay as British shops don't seem to stock it :(
I have acetone, which I intend to use for the non-painted areas. My concern is paint stripper removing the symbols. Acetone I know will definitely remove paint....

Post Merge: August 18, 2012, 05:05:30 PM

If you're concerned about the stripper, just use rubbing alcohol on the paint.  It removes the glue, but is safe on the paint.  It takes a few sessions, tho.  The only time it didn't work was on my Angel.  Her glue was incredibly stubborn, and I resorted to acetone lol (with a light hand, acetone will remove the glue and leave the paint, but you risk taking paint with it if you're not careful.)  I've read that the year 2 so softs have that glue problem in general.  I use a 91% isopropyl alcohol (to avoid any confusion), and I used it straight from the bottle, on a cotton ball. 

OMG! Angel is the pony I ultimately want to deflock! She is in great condition, other than practically naked from flocking loss. I have a bunch of Trulies and Bouncies I want to practice on, but I am no good at painting and would really hate to completely wipe out their symbols and eye paint....
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 05:05:30 PM by Queen Eclipsia »

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 06:45:53 PM »
I have tried both.  Jasco? paint stripper does work without damaging symbols....BUT it can discolor some ponies plastic, leaving them wih a "burned" area around symbols (Hippity Hop, Twist, Best Wishes to name a few).  I highly recommend rubbing alcohol.  It takes a bit longer, but it very clean and safe.  Just be gntle rubbing and you should have no problems.

lisey_baby

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 08:33:30 PM »
I have tried both.  Jasco? paint stripper does work without damaging symbols....BUT it can discolor some ponies plastic, leaving them wih a "burned" area around symbols (Hippity Hop, Twist, Best Wishes to name a few).  I highly recommend rubbing alcohol.  It takes a bit longer, but it very clean and safe.  Just be gntle rubbing and you should have no problems.

Is that the same as surgical spirit?

Offline Queen Eclipsia

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 10:56:36 AM »

Wait...Jasco changes plastic color? I just got back from Lowe's with a can of it! Lol. I have acetone nail polish, straight up acetone, rubbing alcohol, Goof Off, Oxyclean detergent....and now Jasco.

I STILL don't know what to use! Lol

lisey_baby

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 05:08:50 PM »

Wait...Jasco changes plastic color? I just got back from Lowe's with a can of it! Lol. I have acetone nail polish, straight up acetone, rubbing alcohol, Goof Off, Oxyclean detergent....and now Jasco.

I STILL don't know what to use! Lol

I never had much luck with nail varnish remover, just ended up with a smudgy mess (when prepping a bait), it kinda worked on flocking but not on the glue etc.

Would hot water work possibly, making softening the glue that you can scrape it off a bit so there's less to remove with the harsher stuff? Apologises if anyone else has suggested this too :/

Offline Queen Eclipsia

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 05:51:21 PM »
Would hot water work possibly, making softening the glue that you can scrape it off a bit so there's less to remove with the harsher stuff? Apologises if anyone else has suggested this too :/

I'm going to try this first, then rubbing alcohol, then Jasco if nothing else works.

lisey_baby

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 06:03:04 PM »

I'm going to try this first, then rubbing alcohol, then Jasco if nothing else works.

Hopefully one of those will work for you! Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time with the deflock :hug:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal