collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Most Frustrating Mistakes...  (Read 404 times)

keikokukien

• Trade Count: (0)
Most Frustrating Mistakes...
« on: August 15, 2012, 08:25:54 PM »
 :P So it literally is the 11thnext hour here and I finally finished the paint job on a Professor Snape G4 I have been working on for a friend for going on almost a month now. FBR in this really hard to match grey color (hard to match because I added just a little green to it like my friend wanted).

And...^_^;; I kinda goofed up bad. It's a shock that this happened...My little sister came over to spend the night and was coming out of the shower with her hair in a wet scrunchy...and she tossed it on my still drying pony. I really should know better than to leave my drying work on my computer desk because things like this tend to happen.

So I started thinking that there have to be things worse than eyes dripping on a FBR and ruining pretty much a three-day period of detailing. XD; Can somebody cheer me up with bad/funny tales of customizing nightmares? There must ne some good ones out there.

Offline Saja

• Peacock Queen
  • Trade Count: (+325)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Most Frustrating Mistakes...
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 08:30:15 PM »
Sorrry to hear it, FRB's im always stuffing up one way or another.
But sculpting is easy to ruin also, My kids knocked the table hard and bumped off an almost finished fashion style sized sculpted wings pony onto the floor, it smashed into a bazillion peices. I was so annoyed and sad, I scrapped the whole idea and started a new idea on a new pony. I still have the poor pony with no sculpting on her at all, she is terribly sad, should make her into something nice one day!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Wish list : http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,318839.0.html
See my work on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/saja.navajo Also rehairs and customs for sale in sales album on FB and also and Etsy Store https://www.etsy.com/shop/SajasCreations

keikokukien

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 08:46:59 PM »
Oh no, but yes! You need to give her a makeover and maybe this time your idea for her will be even better. :) *Gives you good luck pony hugs*

Any tips from experience on what works to keep the FBR from smudging?

Offline Pheasant

• She's a daydreamer
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 08:57:49 PM »
Oh man, that's terrible. D:

As for mistakes, I made the mistake of using Apple Barrel sealant when I first began making customs - it made them so sticky you could catch flies with them. ><
Mimic on MLPTP

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 09:02:16 PM »
Well I made an interesting pattern in an FBR when I used a paper towel to protect him when boil perming lol  But it was fixable.  mostly I just stab myself with the rehairing tool when I drop it on my leg.

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

keikokukien

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 09:27:46 PM »
As for mistakes, I made the mistake of using Apple Barrel sealant when I first began making customs - it made them so sticky you could catch flies with them. ><

(Sorry but that metaphor made me lol ) Oh geez...How did you find out that it was super duper tacky? I think that's something I tried once too and it was catching dust from the air it was so tacky. >_< Thank you for sharing. *marks that off list of supplies ever*)

Hyenacub-- >_O ouch! But at least you were able to fix the custom. XD Lame joke, but maybe it had allergies!  :silly:

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 09:28:52 PM »
Ha! Allergic to boiling water....  i think everyone is.

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

Offline Pheasant

• She's a daydreamer
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 09:30:17 PM »

(Sorry but that metaphor made me lol ) Oh geez...How did you find out that it was super duper tacky? I think that's something I tried once too and it was catching dust from the air it was so tacky. >_< Thank you for sharing. *marks that off list of supplies ever*)

Hyenacub-- >_O ouch! But at least you were able to fix the custom. XD Lame joke, but maybe it had allergies!  :silly:

Ouch, hyenacub, that must have hurt something fierce.
As for the sealant, I figured that out after about a week - I picked up a custom, and she was really sticky. I still have her, I haven't managed to remove that darn stuff since.
Mimic on MLPTP

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 09:32:11 PM »
I'm trying to do my first custom and I whiffed the FBR, tried to strip it and start over, couldn't get him 100% free of paint, restarted the painting and now he's all sorts of uneven. :shakefist:

He's been sitting for 2 weeks, waiting for me to get brave enough to work on him some more. Poor guy.

Ai from Aurora
AC Wants | Furniture Catalog | Clothing Catalog

Offline Saja

• Peacock Queen
  • Trade Count: (+325)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 10:17:59 PM »
I had that issue too, you need to use pure acetone to remove all the paint. Ive also had issues with the paint cracking off, and that was due to not washing the lotion off the sculpted bits. Always learning. So if you use lotion to sculpt, make sure you wash it off thoroughly before painting.
Wish list : http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,318839.0.html
See my work on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/saja.navajo Also rehairs and customs for sale in sales album on FB and also and Etsy Store https://www.etsy.com/shop/SajasCreations

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 10:20:06 PM »
I had that issue too, you need to use pure acetone to remove all the paint. Ive also had issues with the paint cracking off, and that was due to not washing the lotion off the sculpted bits. Always learning. So if you use lotion to sculpt, make sure you wash it off thoroughly before painting.

Yeah, I'm using acetone. I'd just already put on so many layers that it was just such a painstaking endeavor and then I'd fail to get a new cottonball and start smearing red paint everywhere. LOL. Noob mistakes and impatience. Need to remember to take my sweet time.

Ai from Aurora
AC Wants | Furniture Catalog | Clothing Catalog

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 10:32:43 PM »
Here's one that happened literally 10 minutes ago.. I was working on my pony for the Masquerade swap. I get finished sculpting lovely draped sleeves on her dress.. I decide to tackle her mask (finally).. And I smushed the sleeves. Not once. Not twice. Not even three times. No, I cannot even begin to try and count how many times I smushed and fixed them. I'm going to have to let them dry, add more to smooth out lumps, and then sand like hell. It'll be OK though.

Other things were.. Oh.. I put a thick layer of Triple Thick on the eyes of a pony, then picked the head up afet 5 minutes to look at it. and stuck my thumb RIGHT in it's eye. So I had to deal with cloudy glaze. I wound up styling her hair to have bangs covering that eye all dainty and emo like.

Thumbprint/smudge to a FBR. A white FBR. That is like.. A LOT of layers. I tried to decorate around it..

Boil perm on a pony with bangs.. Held the hair down with a rubber band and wound up with rubber band lines pressed into the FBR and eyes of the pony. The next time, I tried to cushion it with paper towels and instead I got paper towel pressed into the paint. I had to rub that out and repaint.

Knibitz

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 10:43:38 PM »
if we go all the way back to 2005 when I made my first customs, I did a really poor full body repaint then decided it was a fantastic idea to rehair it, ended up chipping the paint and making grey marks all around the neck holes from the wire I was using........... then provided to display that pony at the 2005 con...........wth was I thinking xD <tangent> Feel like such an idiot when I look back on that... gah... I was probably the laughing stock of the 05 con xD I was only like 14 and I packed up my entire collection of modern g3s and was the only display table that wasn't selling XD I just thought I'd show off how awesome I was :B...... oh little did I know...  OH well, at least my grandma has a place to sit and nap while I ran around XD</tangent>

I also was working on a pony yesterday ended up RIPPING HER in the process of getting the head off o___0 ... still baffles me that I RIPPED a pony.  Incredibly frustrating because it's my favorite pose :( had to turn around and buy a bait to replace her ;n;

I also dyed my fingers completely black while being an idiot and stupidly reaching into my dye to pull a pony out.... no idea what I was thinking >.<  I then panicked the rest of the night trying to figure out how I Was going to get it off my hands before work the next day. (BLEACH! only takes a quick dip and it's gone!)

and though not a direct customizing problem, but after getting back into ponies and customizing after an almost 5 year lul, I went to dig out my only G3 collection to find sacrifices for baits and when I opened the tub I realized I'd only brought my G1 collection and just a very VERY few G3s - almost all of which are very dear to me.  So now some 200 odd G3s sit in my childhood bedroom on the other side of the US *face palm* Going to see if I can convince someone at my house to go through and find poor condition ones and just flat rate them to me >___>

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 10:47:19 PM »
Heh. I have ripped neck plugs often.. But once I did rip a leg off. O.o That was ... odd.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal