collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: And the Army of Moon Dancers begins!  (Read 647 times)

Offline MnDancer

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
And the Army of Moon Dancers begins!
« on: August 13, 2012, 12:19:49 PM »
I've been working on my favorite pony, again and again! Some of you may have seen my G3 Moon Dancer at the Fair, but I never showed it off here. I also just finished a G4 Moon Dancer and Baby Moon Dancer! Soon I shall have a vast army of Moon Dancers! Everyone of them different! Muwahahahahaha! Ok, I'm alright now.
When I made the G3 version, I set out to make Moon Dancer the way I would have done it, if I were Hasbro. I've always liked the artist renderings of MD that were in ads and pictured in the mom and baby outfits better than the real one. So that's where I got the inspiration for the pinker hair and darker purple streak. Since the MO pearlized Baby MD supposedly has Raspberry Sorbet in her mane, I chose that color for my customs. Each one has a different shade of purple streak though. The G3 pose is my all-time favorite pose with a a real pony horn added. The horn was cut off of a G1 bait and so was not very white, so I painted it in a base coat of plain white, then pearl white, then given a coat of glitter because glittery horns is one of the things I like about G3 unicorns. G4 MD is made from a Rarity, of course. I broke her neck plug in the process of taking her apart so her head is glued permanently in that position, :P Since her eyes were already the right color I didn't repaint them. I took a cue from G1 baby MD and painted the symbols first then topped them with glitter.  G4 Baby MD was obviously, a baby Sweetie Belle. I seriously considered not rehairing her because she already had the right colors, but they weren't in the right pattern so it seemed lazy not to fix that. She was done with Tea Rose and a streak of Mulberry Crush. She also has painted symbols coated with glitter. I coated both G4's horns with glitter. What's next for my army? Soon to come is the G3 styling MD and a Blind bag MD. I'm also looking a G4 FS Rarity or Shining Armor for my next MD!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Some Blind Bag customs I just finished

[resizing your pictures for you - SDS]
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 06:30:45 PM by SourdoughStomper »
:art:Pony lover since 1983 :rainbow:

Offline Kyrraven

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Kyrraven's DeviantArt Gallery
Re: And the Army of Moon Dancers begins!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 12:56:46 PM »
Pretty!  I especially love the Moondancer made from Sweetie Belle.  I'm planning to do the same sort of custom army as yours, only with Gusty, and seeing these makes me eager to get to it.   :art:

Offline Izrabeth

• Mrs Johnny Depp
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 12:58:30 PM »
That's a great army!!!  :)

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 02:14:54 PM »
Very awesome! Great job!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

keikokukien

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 02:29:09 PM »
Ahhh! I love Moon Dancer <3! I'm working on a version of a twice as fancy Moon Dancer right now, but I am so tempted to get a G4 adult now. XD Yours are so pretty! (What type of sparkle did you use for the horns? That looks so nice.)

Offline Saja

• Peacock Queen
  • Trade Count: (+325)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 06:09:59 PM »
Gorgeous, your tiny glitter symbols are so perfect!
Wish list : http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,318839.0.html
See my work on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/saja.navajo Also rehairs and customs for sale in sales album on FB and also and Etsy Store https://www.etsy.com/shop/SajasCreations

Offline MnDancer

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 10:28:18 PM »
Ahhh! I love Moon Dancer <3! I'm working on a version of a twice as fancy Moon Dancer right now, but I am so tempted to get a G4 adult now. XD Yours are so pretty! (What type of sparkle did you use for the horns? That looks so nice.)

It's ultrafine glitter, I actually bought a sample pack from Joann Fabrics that had 16 colors in it. On close inspection of Hasbro's G1 Baby Moon Dancer her symbols appear to be painted on then glitter added on top, which may explain why her symbols consistently last longer than the adult Moon Dancers' which look to be strictly glitter. So I painted them first which has the serendipitous effect of making "missed spots" with the glitter difficult to see. I used Mod Podge to both seal the paint and glue on the glitter at the same time. I used gloss Mod podge, but since the glitter goes on top it doesn't really matter, I just chose the gloss because, again, I thought it would help hide any spots with missing glitter.

Oh, and I've been toying with the idea of a TAF MD too! I can't decide for the life of me what kind of bait I want for it though!

White Rose

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 11:27:36 PM »
Thats so cool! I may have to steal this idea if its ok with you haha?

edit: Also, how do you get the glitter on the horn and symbols?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 11:31:59 PM by White Rose »

Offline MnDancer

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 12:19:39 AM »
Steal Away! It's a Hasbro inspired thing so it's not like I have a copyright or anything ;) I do use Mod podge as the glue for the glitter, I painted it on with a paintbrush and sprinkled on the glitter, one tip though- I only did 2-3 stars at a time, if you put the mod podge on all of them then do glitter, the first couple you did may already be dry and not hold much glitter. Since I wanted total coverage with the glitter in this case, I sprinkled it on straight from the little packet it came in, but if you want a more sparse, light dusting of glitter, I sprinkle it into my hand then blow it onto the wet mod podge. For the horn it's the same, I just painted on the mod podge and sprinkled glitter straight from the packet.  The grooves in the horn take slightly long to dry though since the mod podge tend to collect there.Either way, once you're sure the mod podge is totally dry, I took a clean, dry, soft, paint brush and brushed off all the excess glitter that wouldn't "tap" off (tapping the pony on the table gets most of the excess off but not all) WAIT UNTIL THE MOD PODGE IS TOTALLY DRY to brush it off though, otherwise the glitter will ball up, brush off and make a huge mess! Fortunately, it doesn't take long to dry, if you're not sure, you're generally safe after 10-15 minutes with small areas like symbols and horns. I hope that all made sense! With white (or clear?) iridescent glitter the horn looks just like a Hasbro glittery horn!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 12:27:27 AM by MnDancer »

Offline babyprincess_sparkle

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/mylittleponycustoms
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 02:20:47 PM »
:heart: Oh how I LUV baby moondancer :heart:
 http://www.facebook.com/mylittleponycustomsvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 03:31:37 PM »
Aw!  That little G4 foal is adorable.

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

Offline Unicorn_pops

• Trade Count: (+359)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Baby and Winger Collector
    • View Profile
    • Pony Collection
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 03:42:46 PM »
All so beautiful! That baby G4 is absolutly adorable!!

Sale Post  My Collection  My Customs

Offline Naamah

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 11:03:43 AM »
*flails*

Yes.  Yes, an army of these would be just the thing to take over the world with adorableness.

Moondancer was always one of my very favorites, and I still think she had the most elegant design of the earlier ponies.  So beautiful!  I would love to see you add to the army! :D
"I have lived my life as best I could, not knowing its purpose, but drawn forward like a moth to a distant moon; and here at last, I discover a strange truth . . . that I am only a conduit, for a message that eludes my understanding." Ezio Auditore da Firenze

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal