collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What Have we Learned So Far?  (Read 315 times)

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
What Have we Learned So Far?
« on: August 10, 2012, 11:11:08 AM »
What are we taking with us from this competion?

For me and Abbey, we have learned that you can have all the props and hairstyles planned out that you want, but at the end of the day, there is a certain unexplained magic that has to happen to take an ordinary shot to a piece of art.  Where the head angle, body language, and lighting are justttt right. It's very elusive in my case XD  I don't think it's something you can learn in a book either, it either happens or it doesn't.  Perhaps with practice I'll get better at the magics. 

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
Re: What Have we Learned So Far?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 02:07:58 PM »
Exactly as you said! Everything can be absolutely spot on but unless that little spark is there, the picture is good but not amazing :)
So I guess I've learnt, take as many pictures as possible from different angles, slight pose differences, move props etc etc and keep taking them till your trigger finger is sore. Then settle down for a couple of hours in front of the laptop to review your pics but...be prepared to go and re-shoot again and again!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Offline kamakazee82

• HesheR
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ... i saw a mouse ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 02:14:15 PM »
... the first thing i learned in my photography class ... "Take a hundred shots and hope for one to turn out ... take a thousand and hope for one as well." and that was  with a FILM camera ;) there where shoots i'd easily go through 7-8 rolls and develop the negs and NOTHING! NOT A SINGLE DECENT PICTURE! ... urg ...

but yeah ... Photo Finish's line FTW "Flootershy ... it's time to make DA MAGICS!" lol

sometimes it comes easy, sometimes it's just not there at all ... it's a rare and elusive beastie that's for sure ... but practice helps ... and learning from constructive criticism ... taking a picture is easy ... taking an amazing picture is equal parts insane luck and insane skill lol
"Doth mother know you weareth her drapes?"

Taeyang and MLP are my drugs of choice ... that and the mountain dew flowing through my veins ... LIKE RADIOACTIVE RUBBER PANTS!

Offline aellos

• Girl with the box
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Reluctant warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 03:08:45 PM »
Well, to find something to balance, work with colors more. Don't rely to heavily on filters.
Umm, I know I learned more, but more of what I learned is hard to explain and more of something I've done through my photos. Learned from watching other's photos. :D

||DevART||Tumblr||Red Pepper Ref||Flickr||
Don't fall reluctant heroes, I want to be brave like you.

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 03:34:17 PM »
I think you nailed it about the 'unexplained magic' part, CSA! A lot of imagination and risk taking will help to make that happen, though, and a good plan and taking 100 pics never hurts either! Often I take a risk thinking the shot will be crap, and it turns out to be the best damned one of the bunch!

Offline Cate_Dartfinger

• Queen of the Forest
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 03:54:31 PM »
LIGHTING, LIGHTING, LIGHTING! And a steady hand. Nothing bothers me more with my own pictures than a blurry, under lit picture that would otherwise be beautiful. Thank GOD I don't use my 35mm for these shoots...

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 10:21:10 PM »
Composition is so incredibly important too. Here are some tips:

http://www.photographymad.com/pages/view/10-top-photography-composition-rules/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal