collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I've been wondering for awhile......  (Read 510 times)

Offline justkitter

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
I've been wondering for awhile......
« on: August 09, 2012, 05:03:03 PM »
I've seen websites that restore old dolls to new.  There's something common that happened to the very first Barbie dolls, where they're ears would turn green because of a reaction to the metal in the earrings, and the plastic of the heads.

So I've been wondering, have doll companies updated the materials they use so that this doesn't happen anymore?  Should we as doll collectors, just know not to display dolls with any kind of metal for long periods of time?  Is it just certain types of metal that effect certain types of plastic? 

I've seen some beautiful homemade jewelry, but whenever I think about owning it, those pictures of Barbie with her green ears flash before my eyes :lol:

Anyone know anything about this?
I won't be checking this site anymore for messages.  If you need me, you can contact me at the MHArena :bigups:

Knibitz

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: I've been wondering for awhile......
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 05:18:40 PM »
the plastics most dolls are made with are going to be extremely porous and thus soak up everything around them, leaving metal in them will always turn them green or rust them. That's just what metal does.

The only way to avoid this is with less porous materials like resin or porcelain.

Offline kamakazee82

• HesheR
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ... i saw a mouse ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 05:21:01 PM »
i don't take any chances ... when storing (and even displaying" my dolls i don't leave them touching a foriegn plastic or metal ... even their stands i try to make sure they've got a piece of clothing or a scrap of white fabric between it and them

... that and most companites don't use much metal anymore ... they'll use plastic now ...
"Doth mother know you weareth her drapes?"

Taeyang and MLP are my drugs of choice ... that and the mountain dew flowing through my veins ... LIKE RADIOACTIVE RUBBER PANTS!

Offline justkitter

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 10:27:09 AM »
Thanks for the insight:)  Guess no new jewelry for me :lol:
I won't be checking this site anymore for messages.  If you need me, you can contact me at the MHArena :bigups:

Offline Flutterswirl

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 10:39:18 AM »
People do coat the posts of metal earrings with SuperGlue before putting them in a doll's ears. It's supposed to block the chemical reaction- just make sure to not push the earring in past the dipped area.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to *generalzoi\'s Pony Creator at dA for my avatar!

just visiting this planet! (Phl. 3:20)

Offline kamakazee82

• HesheR
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ... i saw a mouse ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 05:23:56 PM »
you can use jewelry with your dolls, I just wouldn't reccomend leaving it in place for extended periods of time unless you take precautions ... and even then i have my doubts lmao

i love my dolls and i'm not fond of taking cahnces with such spendy little lovelies lol (mad assortment of mostly Taeyangs and Monster High)
"Doth mother know you weareth her drapes?"

Taeyang and MLP are my drugs of choice ... that and the mountain dew flowing through my veins ... LIKE RADIOACTIVE RUBBER PANTS!

Offline justkitter

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 07:16:39 PM »
Better safe than sorry:)  I don't do much "playing" around with my dolls.  They stay in whatever they are wearing.  I also don't do photoshoots or anything like that, so putting in a pair of metal earings for pretty much no reason, doesn't make much sense.  I was thinking if I found a pair I couldn't live without, could I keep them on my doll FOREVER?  :lol:  Doesn't seem to be a good idea though:(  That's fine.  Didn't have anything in mind, anyway:)

MelodyMistress

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 04:11:45 PM »
If you could clear coat the jewelry with ,say clear nail polish that may work. I know it helps keep me from breaking out when I wear pewter, as I have an allergy to it...

Offline PandaBerryInSpace

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 04:14:13 PM »
Ooh, I wish I had known that. I used some human earrings on one of my custom dolls... I coated it with Mod Podge first, so it'll fit better, but I sure hope nothing bad happens to her. ^^;
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Avatar art by January Joy, siggy art by DreamCatcher! Thank you so much! <3

ACNL FC: 3754 6763 3133

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal