collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: A few things I need help with  (Read 266 times)

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
A few things I need help with
« on: August 08, 2012, 05:45:27 PM »
I decided to just make a whole post of my custom related problems xD

First are two things I'm looking for, in my town I only have a micheals, Joann's and a dusty old Ben franklins as far as craft stores go.
Iv been looking for fantasy film and apoxy sculpt for years now to try out, neither of these things are sold in the limited shops in my area.

I did however find a hobby lobby on my way home from camping.the problem is that it's 1.5 hours away from my house and I kinda want to be sure they have things I'm looking for before I make the trip, does anyone know if they sell sculpt or fantasy film?

Second Iv been unsuccessful at googling fantasy film xD could anyone show me a picture of the packaging for that? Better yet a tutorial of some kind xD

Last! I'm desperately in search for the perfect flat white paint iv tried everythig even expensive paints, I always thin everything out with water and Iv yet to get results that I'm actually happy with. I avoid doing white customs because of this xD and I'd love to over come this rofl.

Thanks for advice seriously T.T
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline PrincessOfDarkness

• Queen of the Zombie Ponies
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
    • my dA
Re: A few things I need help with
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 05:55:30 PM »
I got all my fantasy film from ebay. Various sellers have it (try searching angelina film too - its essentially the same stuff) so you can look through them and decide who has the colours, specials etc that would suit you :)
As for the Apoxy, you can order straight from the manufacturers website www.avesstudio.com

As for paints, I'd encourage you to try and find an artist grade acrylic. I'm not sure of brands in the states, but I'm pretty sure Pop uses Createx paints. I have a wonderful white that I got from my local hobby place - its an acrylic meant for airbrushing (forget the name right now) and is wonderful.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart:  Never really open for commissions, but can be bribed ;)  :heart: SOOOO much Love to Jupi for my amazing Cupcake Zombie :heart:

lisey_baby

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 06:27:32 PM »
Try googling Angelina film, that's what we used to stock and what it's called over here in the UK

Offline Unicorn_pops

• Trade Count: (+359)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Baby and Winger Collector
    • View Profile
    • Pony Collection
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 06:33:02 PM »
This site is wonderful for ALL your needs :) http://www.ooakartistemporium.com/

Super fast shipping also
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sale Post  My Collection  My Customs

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 07:05:39 PM »
I only have this to add, I bought a variety pack of Testors Acrylics from Michaels near their model car section. their white, no, their anything has been the smoothest paint ever. No streaks. Fast drying. Barely a need to thin. Straight from the bottle I can do a FBR in a few coats and have no brush strokes. They also have model master acrylic paint. Slightly thicker and I do thin it but nearly just as good.

Offline Naamah

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 12:17:04 PM »
Hay there!  Yes, you can find it under Angelina film or fantasy film on ebay, and if you check out seller morezmore, that's where I get mine, they have really reasonable prices and super-fast service!

If you can't do ebay, artglitter.com has it too, but it's pricier.

If you only need a little bit to play with, I have a 6 inch? section of . . . gah, some gorgeous blue-green color, it's not in front of me, that is left over from a set of wings I did last year.  It's not a huge piece, since the stuff is not real wide.  But it's the same stuff, and if you like, I can send it to you just so you can get a look at it.  In a single layer, it's surprisingly transparent (just mentioning that, because it surprised the heck out of me).  It gets brighter and kind of . . . denser? when you heat shrink it.  If you want it just PM me.

I haven't seen fantasy film at HL and I did look.  As always, that was a while ago and they might have been out, or have started carrying it, but I haven't found it in ANY real-space stores.  I looked at Michaels' for 2-part sculpting epoxy and didn't find anything like what I wanted.  I had to order online.  :P

Tutorials:

http://www.cdhm.org/tutorials/making-fairy-wings.html

http://www.mylittlecustoms.com/index.aspx?pageid=651927

Those are for the more ragged type wings, which are SO COOL, but the ones I made were more like flat butterfly wings that come with a summer wing pony.  I will write up a quick and dirty tutorial for you and post it in customs, just give me a day or so.

Edit: I made you a thingy.  If you wanna make butterfly type wings, there you go.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 01:49:11 PM by Naamah »
"I have lived my life as best I could, not knowing its purpose, but drawn forward like a moth to a distant moon; and here at last, I discover a strange truth . . . that I am only a conduit, for a message that eludes my understanding." Ezio Auditore da Firenze

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal