collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: So, I'm fairly new to this "customizing" stuff...any tips?  (Read 421 times)

xoVanille

• Trade Count: (0)
So, I'm fairly new to this "customizing" stuff...any tips?
« on: August 06, 2012, 05:55:11 PM »
So I've decided that I love the idea of the Monster High Cupid doll...but I cannot stand those lips! I've done a bit of research, but does anyone here have any good pointers/did I miss anything?

I know I need acetone and cotton swabs, and to use a clean "scooping" motion to remove the factory lips.
Acrylic paint to redo them in the way that I want, and then a spray sealant to keep the paint in place.

I've got a pretty steady artist's hand and I'm fairly confident, I just don't want to screw it up. ;n;

Offline blackestbird

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: So, I'm fairly new to this "customizing" stuff...any tips?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 06:08:41 PM »
Ooh thanks for posting this regarding Cupid specifically. I really want to get her eventually, but I'd want to fix her lips too. I appreciate the concept they were going for, but it just isn't my cup of tea.

So here's a :bump: for ya! ^__^
sig image coming back soon, oops!
:heart: Thank you Nence for my beautiful av; pinkfrappuccino for my adorable sig :heart:
Lyrical Echo Ref  Pony Blog [under construction;relocating]  Commissions: CLOSED for the holidays

xoVanille

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 06:11:11 PM »
Glad to know I'm not the only one! She looks so much better with full lips, from what I've seen others do with her.

Offline blackestbird

• Trade Count: (+16)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 06:16:06 PM »
Totally agree! ^__^ Not a huge fan of her 'hairlo' either, actually. Again, I appreciate the concept, just not really the execution. I've preferred the slightly altered Cupids every time.
sig image coming back soon, oops!
:heart: Thank you Nence for my beautiful av; pinkfrappuccino for my adorable sig :heart:
Lyrical Echo Ref  Pony Blog [under construction;relocating]  Commissions: CLOSED for the holidays

Offline Firecracker

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 06:34:09 PM »
I'd say you're good to go, just make sure you take your time while painting the lips :)
I'd recomend having another doll/picture for reference of how you want the lips to look though, it sure has helped me when doing repaints!
One other thing to keep in mind is maybe consider having a paintable sealant, so the paint is as shiny or matte as you like without effecting the rest of the face.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 06:36:50 PM by Firecracker »

Offline justkitter

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 07:12:19 PM »
Sounds like you've got a pretty good handle on this:)  I've got 3 Cupids now :pullhair:  The first a friend ordered for me online.  It came with a terrible lump on her neck.  The more I saw it the more I needed to replace it.  So I found someone who managed to order her from Walmart.  Mind you, this is when Cupid was a $100 doll, because NO ONE could find her.  Then, they make her easily available WITH A DIARY..... UGH!  I did not want 3 Cupids.  Anyway, I think I'm going to repaint one of mine, too:)

I'm not sure if you've painted a doll yet, but EVERYONE recomends using light layers of paint to get a factory smooth finish.  Good luck.
I won't be checking this site anymore for messages.  If you need me, you can contact me at the MHArena :bigups:

Offline CasseminaPie

• Trade Count: (+31)
    • View Profile
    • Cassemina's Corner
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 08:28:40 PM »
I saw a photo where the artist used pastels rubbed on some sandpaper and then used a paintbrush to apply the "dust" over cupids lips. It looked gorgeous! She still had the cupids bow but the the entire mouth was filled in.
Come visit my blog!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline aellos

• Girl with the box
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Reluctant warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 08:08:03 PM »
It depends upon how subtle, bright, yaddah yaddah. The pastel thing makes it look more natural and soft. You can use watercolor pencils to get some texture, or just acrylic to get the normal look.
Best bet is to get model acrylics.
Paint in layers.
And get a gloss sealant to seal them in and make them shiny. :D

Also, acrylic is water soluable, so you can wet a paper towel to fix your mistakes.

Not the best, but this is mine:

Cupid by aellosferrin, on Flickr

EDIT: And the hair? I just brushed it for a while and it got like that. I like it, :D

||DevART||Tumblr||Red Pepper Ref||Flickr||
Don't fall reluctant heroes, I want to be brave like you.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal