collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How we collect  (Read 1652 times)

Offline Dewprincess

• Trade Count: (+125)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: How we collect
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 07:09:31 AM »
For the most part, I am a "basic" completist.  Not gonna lie, I think it would be awesome to have one of each unique character of G1, G2, G3 and G4.  I also know that due to space, that's not likely to be a possibility.  So, I try to limit my completist nature to G1 and G4 as much as possible.  I originally had the goal of one of each unique G3 character, but I've slowly been paring down that set.  I do enjoy G2s but I don't aim to have all of them.  And, G3.5s?  With the exception of the Newborn Cuties and the Moms, I can't stand them.  I own a handful of G3.5s but I only keep those because they were special gifts.

Even with G1 and G4 (my "chosen generations"), there are limits to what I'll collect.  For G4, I actively collect brushables, trading cards and blind bags.  I have no Fashion Styles (except :muffin: Pony, because I am seeking to have all Fair/Comic-Con ponies that came with decorative boxes), don't want plush or So Softs, am not interested in playsets, and I don't collect different versions of the same character.  G1 is a bit more broad, as I collect all loose regular ponies, some reissue versions from particular lines (such as So Softs), some plush, some playsets, some ponywear, some merchandise (mainly coloring books, stickers and annuals), some MOC/MIB, and porcelains if I can find them (I only have one at the moment).  For certain things G1 I even consider myself an "intermediate" completist:  I want all Princess Ponies to have their hats, wands and Bushwoolies, though I'm not overly bothered with tracking down all the picks; I'd love for all the Big Brothers to have hats but I'm not really worried about their bandannas or brushes; I want to have the shell of Paradise Estate complete by getting the patio doors, lanterns, awnings and fans that I need but I'm not too concerned about the other, smaller pieces.

Even so, it's a daunting task, and I've recently discovered just HOW MUCH pony I have while packing for my big move.  All I can say is...:dizzy:

Offline cuddlebuggy

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 07:33:38 AM »
I am a completionist about some things, others I'm not. I used to have all the newborn twins with all accessories. Obsessively tracked down everything. Then I had my second daughter and sold all my accessories (didn't want to risk damaging the accessories,lol!)
I do try to finish the sets I like unless, like with cuteasaurus, it's too HTF or expensive. Stayed away from sets like the TAF for just this reason!
I've also found that now that I've completed a large part of my collections (SSC, Shimmers, CPK, Sea Wees and ponies) that I am falling for sets I never cared for before! After completing my Glow and Shows I started taking another look at those glitter ponies and wanting those as well. And since I love Nightglider and Munchy, found Bonnie Bonnets at a Goodwill now I have to have the rest of that set now too!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Whippetluv for my sig representing my two girls!

Offline dxgirly

• Trade Count: (+66)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2012, 07:42:32 AM »
I'm a G4 completionist. I'm determinded to own everything released MIB, and also to have at least one of each brushable loose. Oh and all of the Fashion Styles loose as well. I also have all of the US released Blind Bags and the boxes they came in. And now I'm trying to collect all of the FiM trading cards. So yeah total completionist of the current generation.

I also collect G1's and G3's.... but I haven't felt the need to get all of those... yet.

Offline josiekat

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There's no such thing as a bait Bluebelle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 07:54:33 AM »
I am a "I have to have the pony" collector. The accessories do not mean anything to me. I would love to someday have a complete US G1-G4 complete set. Well, minus all the core 7 and Mane 6 re-releases. Although the more I come to grip with reality, the more I realize that will probably never happen since I can't bring myself to spend triple digits on a pony. So obviously, some ponies are out of my reach. I still like to think I'll find them for a super deal.....but I guess that also means I'll have the fun of the pony hunt for years to  come. :)

cesprins

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2012, 08:00:49 AM »
for g1s there certain single ones I'm looking to hunt down from sets. But I would like to eventually complete the princess ponies, the carousel ponies, and the wingers. Those are my favorite lines, and I think they're the prettiest. I don't need every g1 though. Not yet anyway....

g4s are another story! They're so adorable and tiny, they're all like little pony fairies. For me half the fun of them is all the accessories and playsets they come with.  I feel like the g4 line will wind up having the most playsets out of any other generation.

I dabble in g3s and g2s, but g1s & g4s are my favorite.

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2012, 08:16:37 AM »
Not a completionist. All of my accessories are sorted out inside a fishing tackle box. I've never once bought a second-hand pony with accessories. I enjoy collecting G1, G3, G3.5 and G4 all willy nilly. Maybe someday far away from now I'll take on a completionist attitude, but right now my collection is so small I don't care to be too picky about what I'm getting my hands on.

Ai from Aurora
AC Wants | Furniture Catalog | Clothing Catalog

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2012, 08:16:55 AM »
I am a "I have to have the pony" collector. The accessories do not mean anything to me. I would love to someday have a complete US G1-G4 complete set.

same here. I love to complete my set of just regular Us ponies. I know there are some on my list that can be rather daunting but I don't think it has stopped me. :) There are certain ponies on my list I wrote off as never being able to afford but I never say never. There is always hope. I normally the type of collector that just has to have the pony and im not the type that ever wanted lots of accessories. Though I really want certain accessories too with different sets I.e. princesses or big brothers. I have been holding off on those type of things. I would rather get a pony on my list more than anything else. :)

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2012, 08:36:52 AM »
The way I complete is, I try to have a little bit of everything that Hasbro made for the G1 line.  Like one pony from each group that I really like, complete sets of my favorite groups, color combinations I am fond of, symbols that have extra meaning to me, playsets (mind you the playsets have to have all accessories) that have a certain appeal for their uniqueness, a few puffy stickers, a few charms, a few petites, a few pony wear sets, a few baby accessories, a few barettes, a few backcards and a few MLP merchandise items.  This way I have a little bit of everything G1.  I won't ever have every pony, don't want every pony, don't have room for every ony.  I can't possibly collect every accessory that came with them. I love accessories and have a huge wanted list but they are overwhelming to find sometimes and difficult to store with the pony.  Out of all the ponies I have, the babies from the G1 line are the closest to having most of the accessories they came with.  I have a checklist, but I am missing many LOL.  As far as Nirvana's go, I am realistic that I will not be spending the prices on these as I can't justify it with our daily living expense and health issues.  I would love to have one pony from each country they were made in, but I know this will never happen.  I will also never have an army, because for me I don't see the point of having more than one of the same pony with so little space to store them.  I would be bored with all of the same pony. My mind just doesn't work this way.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 08:39:54 AM by tulagirl »

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2012, 09:43:14 AM »
I just go after the ponies I like. I don't really want accessories too much (and usually just don't know what to do with them when I find 'em!) and I don't want ponies that I don't find cute/pretty. There are too many ponies I DO like, being that I collect all generations except 3.5. I also have come to like having doubles recently...
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2012, 10:14:57 AM »
Interesting thread!  I like reading the different ways pony people collect. ^.^

I would *love-love-love* to have all the ponies ever made, at least of G1, but I know that space constraints (not to mention budgetary considerations) make that wish something to come true when I hit the lottery jackpot. :lol:  Then I'll have a big, bright pony room and go on accessory hunts and all that jazz. :biggrin:  In the meantime, however, I'm a happily non-picky collector, contenting myself with regaining ponies I'd lost when I moved last and lost a bunch of my favourites, plus adding a few that look pretty and that I can either obtain for not too much moolah or that are beat up and need some TLC.  I'm finding I'm really enjoying the restoration aspect of collecting almost as much as the collecting itself!  And right now (or at least until that lottery win :lol:) I'm not even bothering with the accessories, except for the playsets I have, 'cause they display nicer with the trinkets.  Empty Pretty Parlour = unhappy Peachy. :P

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

Offline egyptiondragon

• Secret Mythic Flygon
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Flying with dragons on a moonbeam
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2012, 10:26:12 AM »
i collect the ones i like from g1-g3 but for g4 i collect every pony that's every poped up on friendship is magic even if its just for a moment if a toy was made of that pony i must have it an every rendition of it lol and sometimes i have to go back and look at the older stuff that i didnt get and say great that poped up oh well must have gimme

Offline whiskerz85

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Big Brother Pony
  • MLP 4 LIFE
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2012, 10:52:27 AM »
I am a completionist. I have to have everything. Even if I don't care for it I still want it. Gotta have everything. :)

Offline Silver_mirror46

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Check out my art store @La Poyoshop on Etsy
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2012, 10:56:58 AM »
I'm a bleeding heart collector. I buy the ones I love and I also tend to buy the rescues and baits.  :blush: I'm also the type to feed strays when I see them lol

I just love that description! A bleeding heart collector :biggrin:

I agree! I'm like that too, I see a broken pony and I'm like *grabby hands* give it to me! I will fix it! (Or it will sit on the table next to the other broken ponies, more likely...).

I'm not a collector of accessories at all, and not really a completist except for wanting all the ponies I used to have in my childhood collection. Apart from that I have a few sets to complete - the rainbow ponies and some families - but I wouldn't want them all!

Fff I feel like that too, I like to buy baity ponies and try to restore them

I used to collect only blue ponies but with the years I becamo a completionist XD

thank you PonyWithnoCrown afor the lovely pony in siggie :3
My DA page  My Tumblr Art Tag  Commissions   Trader Feedback

Offline StarDragon

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I'm a My Little Pony mommy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2012, 11:31:40 AM »
I am definitely a completer. I think it is a long and daring quest to get all ponies! I like it. :) But I also have my specific favorites even though they vary from time to time. Like lately I have had a thing for TAF ponies and I need to get the set!

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2012, 12:23:43 PM »
I'm a completion it's for certain sets.  I want all of the boys and princesses with all of their accessories.  I also want all of the newborn twins but I only feel the need for one example of their accessories for each (in other words, one see-saw, one bassinet, one sandbox, etc.). :)

As for the rest?  Some sets I'd like to complete (Sweetberry.). Others I just pick them up as I go and feel no need to complete (TAF.). Some I actively avoid (sea ponies.). In these instances, I see accessories as the icing on the cake - items I love to have but can live without,

I also feel the need to keep ponies I find at the thrift store, particularly g1s because they're just so HTF secondhand, but I'm trying to break myself from that habit.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal