collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Liquitex acrylic spray paint REVIEW!  (Read 7551 times)

Offline Naamah

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
Liquitex acrylic spray paint REVIEW!
« on: August 05, 2012, 09:31:46 PM »
The Liquitex spray paint that has come out recently really intrigued me, so I tried some and thought I would share the results.  I've used it on three ponies so far.

It's acrylic, and it feels and works like regular Liquitex soft-body acrylic paint while it is wet.  It is fully compatible with other acrylics.  It goes on in a spray of small irregular droplets, not in a fine, even mist, which means getting multiple coats on evenly can be hard.  I tend to go for a heavy-ish coat, but not heavy enough for it to run.  This is difficult to get right but it gives you a super-smooth finish, like black latex rubber.  Humidity or too many rough coats give you a slightly pebbled texture that looks a whole lot like real leather.  Runs and drips can be sanded down with superfine sandpaper once dry and re-sprayed to smoothness, and the pebbly edges of the sprayed area smooth with a wet but not dripping brush.

It dries fast in thin coats, slow in thick coats, and stays tacky for longer than bottle paints. (Liquitex paints are very shiny and "grabby", sometimes even after they cure; you REALLY need a topcoat on them.)  I'd advise letting it cure for 24 hours at least before working on it, and you will definitely need a topcoat over it.  The black I tried was not as "grabby" as the regular brush-on black Liquitex, though.  Once it's dry, it seems as durable as any other acrylic paint.  (It does scratch if you don't watch out (darn fingernails); but so does all the other paint I've ever used.)

Lower-quality paint has a tendency to come off.  It adheres well initially, but if you get it wet again and work over it too much, it tends to lift off the base coat more readily.

This stuff clogs.  After using, clear the tube and nozzle by turning it upside down and spraying until it comes out clear.  I had problems with clogging, so I just took to popping the spray cap off and dropping it into a tiny covered cup of acetone for a while, then rinsing it out.  That helped heaps.

I was hoping it would replace airbrushed paints for gradients, but it isn't nearly fine enough.  It makes a durn good base coat, but I don't know if it's any better, really, than the base coats I get with a flat brush and rather diluted paint.  It's quicker, if you get it right.  You can also work it and blend it while it's wet, though I haven't experimented with this very much.  Still, that is cool.

Overall, I like it okay, and would definitely use it for something like furniture or picture frames or larger projects, but it's not ideal for ponies.  It works, but it's not revolutionary, and once my can is empty I doubt I will buy another.  I hate saying that, because I am really pleased that anyone came out with acrylic spray paint AT ALL.  The can is big, so it'll take a lot of ponies to work through it.  I don't know if it would be worth it for one or two ponies, but if you do a lot of ponies in one color, it might be worth investigating.  It's expensive (at around $12 a can where I am), so use a coupon or catch a sale.

Dullcote went on over it with no trouble whatsoever.  Other Liquitex paints went on over it with no trouble.

Can't say anything about the coverage for other colors, but it worked well in one coat with the black.  I just had to go back over it once to get the inevitable spots I missed on the inside of the legs, under the neck, and so on.  I know that reds and yellows in particular have poor coverage, so I'm curious to try those.  If anyone has experience with those colors in spray paint form, I would LOVE to hear about it!

Any questions you have I will be happy to answer if I can!
"I have lived my life as best I could, not knowing its purpose, but drawn forward like a moth to a distant moon; and here at last, I discover a strange truth . . . that I am only a conduit, for a message that eludes my understanding." Ezio Auditore da Firenze

Offline MnDancer

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Liquitex acrylic spray paint REVIEW!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 10:19:41 PM »
Thanks for the review! I'll remember this for future reference!
:art:Pony lover since 1983 :rainbow:

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
Re: Liquitex acrylic spray paint REVIEW!
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 12:55:55 PM »
This was a very well written review!  I have been curious about this line as I love liquitex.  THANK YOU!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal