collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How to dye hair?  (Read 656 times)

Offline PonySeeker128

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Customs
How to dye hair?
« on: August 03, 2012, 10:36:43 AM »
I would love to learn how to do basic dye jobs as well as gradients on hair but I have no idea where to start. So if anyone can help provide me with information and directions I would be very grateful (pictures would be fantastic :biggrin:)
What colors of hair should I stick to? And what would be the easiest method to go about doing a rainbow gradient either pastel or full color?
Thanks in advance :)
Deviant Art~Commissions Are CLOSED~
Wishlist (MH)

Offline Crowning_Glory13

• Trade Count: (+76)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • knitting pony
    • View Profile
    • Voices by Share
Re: How to dye hair?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 10:41:24 AM »
I have just started getting into dyeing the hair. On a few customs have just taken sections of hair and put them in a container of the dye. The hair tends to soak it up so you do not have to have it fully covered by the dye. I left it in for a day...but I think an few min is what I have been hearing. I did do yellow on pink hair. It was more of a golden color but it came out nice...I only have pictures of the finished pony:) I have only done the hair that is on the pony so far...so I am interested on what someone else does:) I would love to do a gradient:)
Voices by Share for all your piano, voice, pageants, and knitting needs. http://www.ebay.com/usr/crowningglory0013 or trade
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381689.msg1576786#msg1576786 want list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,290863.msg114445.html#msg114445
Facebook: Voices by Share

Offline TimeDance

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 11:11:58 AM »
First off, you have to be aware of the type of hair you are trying to dye. Some types will not dye, the color will bead and roll right off. Secondly, the dye you use has to be something that is made for plastics, not just cotton materials.

RIT dye and nylon from DollyHair has been my winning combination. You don't even want to wash the hair first. you want it to be a little dry so the hair will soak that color right up. And it really does soak it up fast so be prepared if you're trying to do a gradient.

The dye works best with warm water. I tried dying with room temp water and it didn't work as well.

I hope that helps and good luck :)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline PonySeeker128

• View Profile
    • Customs
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 03:37:01 PM »
Thanks, should I be looking to get the powder rit dye or the liquid?
Wishlist (MH)

Offline magickstar

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 04:01:47 PM »
I found this online that might be another way of trying to color hair? They say you can use Kool Aid or Highlighter. I'm not sure if this is any help but thought I would let you know. Also I haven't used this way of dying before.

http://www.prillycharmin.com/restore/4pink_marker.htm

Here's another way which I have used in the past. It talks about dying a wig but it worked for pony hair too.  I unfortunately don't have any pictures of the pony I did it on.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5527639_dye-synthetic-hair.html

Offline pop-girl

• Trade Count: (+140)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/mlppopgirl/pop-customs
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 05:20:51 PM »
Gradient dyed hair is beautiful and very easy to do. ;)

I find that both the liquid and powder Rit dyes work equally as well. As someone mentioned, not all synthetic hair will take dye - Dollyhair's nylon hair dyes beautifully.

I use small disposable tupperware containers for dying and I normally use the powdered dye. I start by sprinkling a small amount of dye into my container along with a bit of salt. I boil water on my stove and then pour it into the container. I wait a few minutes for the dye crystals to dissolve and stir it with a plastic spoon.

Make sure your hair is already cut to length. I know some people cute the 38" hank in half but I always cut mine into approximate thirds - 13 inches for the tail and then the remainder in half which come out to 12.5 inches for the mane. I use a twist tie to secure the middle of the tail portion and combine the two mane portions, securing it in the middle with a twist tie as well. Fold the two portions in half and then hold onto the twist ties while dying.

Now, I know someone mentioned keeping the hair dry but I actually prefer to gradient dye with the hair wet. I run each portion of hair under cold water before dipping. I find that leaving the hair dry causes a harsh line rather than a nice transitional gradient. After the hair is good and wet I lay the ends into the dye and drape the rest of the hair over the side of the container. You'll be able to see the dye slowly and gradually "creep" up the hair. Take the hair out and run it under cold water. If the gradient isn't dark enough do it again (This is never usually a problem for me). Once that's done I soak the hair in a vinegar bath for a few minutes just to help the dye set.

All that's left to do is shampoo and condition. I usually use the coconut shampoo my girls use to get the hair clean. Instead of using traditional conditioner I find that liquid fabric softener works better. I usually pour a little into a bowl with equal parts water and leave the hair to soak while I clean up my mess. Once the hair is rinsed I lay it flat on a paper towel to dry.

I hope that was somewhat helpful. :)
Here are some examples of gradient hair.

A blend of Tiramisu and English Toffee dyed with Dark Brown.

This was a hank of Starlight dived into 8 portions (4 for the tail and 4 for the mane) and dyed using very diluted Kelly Green, Yellow, Royal Blue and Orange.

This is a blend of Black Magic, Cherry Pie and Vampire Kiss gradient dyed with Rit black.
In this case I dyed the folded portion rather than the ends making her roots completely black.

Daiquiri Ice dyed with Navy.
Love & Miss My Pony Peeps!  :lovey:

Offline PonySeeker128

• View Profile
    • Customs
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 05:55:00 PM »
Oh wow Pop, that hair is amazing. Thanks for all of the info, I'm going to bookmark this now so I have it ready. How would I go about doing multiple colors then?
Wishlist (MH)

Offline pop-girl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 06:17:55 PM »
If I were doing multiple colors I would fold the hair where I want the "middle" of the color to be and dip. You shouldn't  have to hold it very far into the dye (as I mentioned on wet hair the color will creep) and you shouldn't have to hold it for very long. Does that make sense?

Offline PonySeeker128

• View Profile
    • Customs
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 06:56:22 PM »
Yeah, that actually makes perfect sense! Lol for some reason my brain really just couldn't figure that one out haha I feel really silly now for not thinking of that! Thank you!!
Wishlist (MH)

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 02:06:32 AM »
This information is great, Pop! Thank you for sharing. Would you mind if I copied it down, with credit to you, and hosted it on my tumblr for my tutorial collection?

Offline pop-girl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 07:52:18 AM »
Go for it. ;)

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 09:02:10 AM »
Thank you! Got it done!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal