collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Computer help please, kinda urgent.  (Read 1042 times)

Offline bagheera86

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Computer help please, kinda urgent.
« on: August 02, 2012, 10:29:55 PM »
I can get on for now, but it seems my computer (not internet) is suddenly very, very slow. It'll work for 10 minutes and then I could try to open a program and then it will lag so badly and won't do anything at all. I've tested it, even after 2 hours it wouldn't pull itself out of that rut.

And now system restore won't work and when I try alt+crtl+delete it says 'failure- security options' and it looks like it's in safe mode... but it isn't. I've done all the virus/whatever scans and I don't know what more I can do. I don't want to have to buy a new computer or to take it to someoen and pay $239817 for something I could have easily done on my own.

I hope you can help.

Miserati

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Computer help please, kinda urgent.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 10:48:12 PM »
Did you try a complete reformat? Is your harddrive almost full or even more than half?

If it's not that it might be a spyware or virus that your antivirus isn't detecting.

Your processor might also be running hot. You can check that by downloading Speccy.

Offline bagheera86

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 10:49:56 PM »
Did you try a complete reformat? Is your harddrive almost full or even more than half?

If it's not that it might be a spyware or virus that your antivirus isn't detecting.

Your processor might also be running hot. You can check that by downloading Speccy.

Yeah it's just past half. and what is speccy? I don't know how ot fix computers... just how to use them xD

Miserati

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 10:53:56 PM »
It might be the hard drive fullness then! I don't know what it is but after the halfway mark they usually start running slowly.

You can try downloading CCleaner to help getting rid of unnecessary files. Mine always cleans up GBs worth and I try to run it once a month!

Speccy is just a monitor for your computer stats and shows internal temperatures of things which can be helpful in times like this.

Offline DoctorMowinckel

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • A good companion in a weird sort of way.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.edwardrmowinckel.com
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 11:01:31 PM »
Sounds like malware with a memory leak. A memory leak is an error which causes a program to consume all usable resources, thus making your computer slow to a crawl, or ostensibly lock up.

All I can suggest is run something like CCleaner, and download something like Malware Bytes to try and remove what ails your computer.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I have a blag about ponies.

Nerdfins

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 01:01:01 AM »
As former Tech Support I second what everyone is saying here.  For HD fullness, the minimum space for a computer to run okay is 10-20% free.  If you don't have that, your computer is really bogged down.  CCleaner will remove any temp files which can build up a LOT over time.  If you remove files on your own, remember to empty the recycling bin.  It still counts towards disk space if the bin is full.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 08:19:26 AM »
Sounds like you've gotten some advice! I hope you can get it fixed! Good luck!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 09:16:07 AM »
Yeah, definitely find ways to increase your available memory.  That sounds like the problem.  Run anti-malware programs and use your task manager to close unnecessary processes.  Also, make sure you keep your computer cool - believe it or not, this can affect your RAM.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

flyawayraven

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 01:24:36 PM »
As former Tech Support I second what everyone is saying here.  For HD fullness, the minimum space for a computer to run okay is 10-20% free.  If you don't have that, your computer is really bogged down.  CCleaner will remove any temp files which can build up a LOT over time.  If you remove files on your own, remember to empty the recycling bin.  It still counts towards disk space if the bin is full.

Seconding this. Temp files are awful! I don't really know how to safely delete them, but I'm sure other ponies here can show you. :)

Offline xdartfrogx

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • I love my frogs and geckos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 02:32:29 PM »
When mine gets slow i wipe out everything saved in the internet folders lie cookies n such. Then I go in and get rid of everything unnecessary. Finally I defrag it. If that doesn't work, then it goes to the shop :P

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 02:44:56 PM »
Also can you get task manager up?  If you can look under processes and check to see what programs are using up your cpu.  Sounds like a virus to me if it's a sudden and drastic change.  Malwarebytes is good.  A nice defrag/cleanup might help you out too.  I hope you don't have to wipe the whole thing I've been there and it is not fun to lose all the files.
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline bagheera86

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 06:05:59 PM »
Hi guys it's working again. I always clear my temporary files and do a disk clean and scan with various scanners (one at a time) every few days or so. I think it was though, due to over heating like you said and reaching the 60% full mark like you said. so I uninstalled a buttload of crap and then did another clean and a scan (scans turned up nothing) did a disk check and that turned up nothing.

And no the task manager and restore refused to work. It took about 8 hours to get going =-=; kinda wanted to brain myself with the toaster.

Nerdfins

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 06:29:02 PM »
kinda wanted to brain myself with the toaster.

You just quoted life as a tech support employee very well. XD

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal