collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G4 "Fakie" Plush  (Read 5270 times)

Offline Enolaalone

• Puzzle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: G4 "Fakie" Plush
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2012, 10:55:09 AM »
If they are legit fakies, they are WAY better than hasbros!
This haha. :>
LEARN FROM THIS, HASBRO! xD
The only one that is 100% spot-on is Crackle, tho. :>
Still, they are a bit too expensive for items to order on ebay and from China. Customs would come and get very angry at me for that. LOL.

They aren't all from China.  I wish I could find them here though.  God if they were on taobao, I'd buy all of them and make a bed from them.

But I bet the rest is US-based? :D That wouldn't make much of a difference.. an item that expensive needs to be bought in the EU to avoid any trouble... ^^;

Mine came from the US, the seller put $1 in the value and so I didn't pay any customs fees. Which obviously I was pleased about but is a little naughty.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to SDS for my siggy and Jupi for my avatar :)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2012, 02:28:01 PM »
I don't think this is what you would call a "fakie". This is most likely a plushie made by a fan of the FiM show. There are tons of talented plushie makers that have been making these for a while now, one of the most prominent ones being WhiteDove Creations. They're not official nor meant to be knock-offs. They're just made by fans of the show who want decent looking plushies.

As xeevee says, these are not custom plush in the manner we have become accustomed to - both the number of sellers and the number of items each seller has - also many of the sellers when you actually research ids are China/Singapore/HK based - says its not one talented artist with a lot of minky and determination. However I believe many of them have US onward shippers.

It was me that bought one from eBay :) I was slightly baffled by who made it, the description said it was fan made but also that there were no tags...

The ones I have seen are a little clever in their wording - I think its more a "fan made" pattern rather than fan made.

that is actually nicer than a lot of official plush.  I don't have fakies as a rule, but I'm tempted by that

They do each have a similar appearance to them dont they? Suggesting a similar line or source...however the only ones I can tell for certain are the ones where the sellers have multiple stock.

Personaly I find the whole thing with these plushies abit odd.

If they were fan-made plushies I'd understand the better quality of them and the price of $30 - $60, but that doesn't explain the vast number of them that there seem to be.

If they were indeed knock-offs or "bootlegs" as you call them, then the number of them makes sense, but it sure doesn't explain the price since - as far as I know - knockoffs or bootleg merchandise is generally alot cheaper than the original items.
Hence why bootleging is so popular especially in China where they can make pretty much identical bags etc. of famous designers for ALOT cheaper than you'd get the original. That's the whole point of bootleging isn't it?

Either way they are cute, but I refuse to get anything that isn't offical. I spend enough money as it is on MLP's that are official. I can't afford starting to get unofficial items aswell XD

Yes, they are perhaps expensive for "bootleg" but all you need to do is check out Taobao [or some street corner vendors in NY] to see that just because something is fake doesnt stop it being priced reasonably high. And in comparison to a lot of custom plush prices these are well priced.

And all this assumes they are definetely bootleg and not HB items which have escaped early from the factory - although the choices with Spike and Crackle seem very random for a HB line plus shy why would they be licensing out plush if they were going to produce their own line?
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

APPLBL00M

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2012, 08:26:07 PM »
they aren't custom plushies, applebloom.  If you search ebay loads of exactly the same ones (I noticed rainbow dash, fluttershy, doctor whooves and the dragon costume TS and Rarity dressed up in when they were stalking Spike) being sold by different sellers.  They mention them being available in stores, and they mention tags.  The belief is a company has stolen the patterns from custom plushies and are now selling factory made versions.
I didn't notice any of that. I didn't even think to look because I never expected to see fakies based on fan-made merchandise. I'll be sure to look out for these if I ever want to buy one because there's no way I can support some company making profits off stolen patterns. I'd rather pay more and get one that I know was designed and made by a talented artist. I would rather give them my money than some rip-off company in China.

majikarte

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2012, 06:52:39 AM »
I wonder if the reason for the price is that the sellers know people will pay a lot for MLP plush? But they make it seem like they're getting a good deal compared to the ones that cost hundreds of dollars? I really want Crackle, but I'm not really wanting to own bootleg stuff like this, as good as it looks.

Offline xkelpiex

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • They/Them.or Fae/Faer pronouns pls
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2012, 07:26:52 AM »
OMG Crackle ;.; I'm going to Montreal Chinatown at the end of the month. That place is like....heaven for "bootleg" merch of popular anime and cartoons. I'd expect these would reach there at some point of time, so I'm hoping they might be there when I go.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal