collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How to take a good picture of a pony?  (Read 926 times)

Offline wiccanpony1

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
How to take a good picture of a pony?
« on: August 01, 2012, 06:16:40 AM »
Hi guys
Im hopeing someone can tell me the best way to photograph my customs,I see so many wonderful pics that people post but mine never come out anywhere near as good lol I have a pretty good camera.So tell me your tricks for getting the best pics :biggrin:

Offline Alatariel-Silimaure

• Rainbow Glitter Bomb Pony
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: How to take a good picture of a pony?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 08:47:11 AM »
well I know one of the big things for me is lighting. I still can't get the best pictures ever due to poor lighting, but one thing you want to make sure of is that if it is indoors you do not want the light source in front of the camera, you want it behind or off to the side of the camera. If the light source is in front of the camera your pony will be severely shadowed.

I've also noticed that with my camera incandescent (yellow) light tends to yellow out the pictures and warp the colors, like my reds will look pink, etc.

Using natural light is the best option if you're able to.

Backgrounds are also important, I'm not the greatest with it as I have very little to work with. but you want to make sure the background will accent the pony and not distract from it. I usually use a rather bland background so that all the focus will be on the pony, though my options are limited and too dark for my taste right now.

I hope this helps out at least a little, hopefully some other great photographers will have some better advice :3
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Check out my Sales! MLP, Non MLP, customs, and more!

lilacamy931

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 10:45:40 AM »
LOL I will have to take tips here thought the photographer and camera are both rubbish XD

deeleelambbaa

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 11:02:06 AM »
LOL I will have to take tips here thought the photographer and camera are both rubbish XD
AMEN, same here. still takin' notes though! :)

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 11:42:18 AM »
There was an amazing photogrpahy thread a while back, I'll see what I can dig up.

:huggles: There are no rubbish photographers!  Only ppl, like me, that are still learning!  We have to crawl before we can walk :)

Offline Silver_mirror46

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • View Profile
    • Check out my art store @La Poyoshop on Etsy
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 10:37:47 AM »
I found a series of really helpful tutorials on DA some time ago, though they are meant for DSLR cameras I bet you can still get good pics with normal ones :D

here's a link to part 1: http://icevolvagia101.deviantart.com/favourites/4879062#/d4lwfn9

I use white cardboard for quick pictures and try to use natural light  :P
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 10:40:19 AM by Silver_mirror46 »

thank you PonyWithnoCrown afor the lovely pony in siggie :3
My DA page  My Tumblr Art Tag  Commissions   Trader Feedback

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 10:56:00 AM »
This might help: http://www.mlparena.com/Forums/viewtopic/p=3073017.html#3073017

I thought I had another one but doesn't seem so
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline wiccanpony1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 12:29:06 PM »
Thank you so much guys:)I always feel that my pics dont pick up the details of my ponies and show them off to there full potential or not depending on the pony hehehehe x x x

Offline TimeDance

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 11:32:22 AM »
I have a really crappy camera that does not like taking pictures inside whatsoever. Especially inside my poorly lit apartment. So I used this tutorial to help me create a light box to get the lighting my camera needs.

http://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-make-a-inexpensive-light-tent

Here's a pic I took with my light box.

Offline pop-girl

• Trade Count: (+140)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/mlppopgirl/pop-customs
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 04:38:08 PM »
I use a light box (it's more like small, square pop-up tent) and shine strong lights from both sides. I got bored with the white or black back drops that come with the box so I laid one of them flat on an oversized sheet of paper to use as a size guide and the painted my own.  Most of my photos turn out decent and I've been happy with them overall. ;)
Love & Miss My Pony Peeps!  :lovey:

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 05:18:02 PM »
I use a light box (it's more like small, square pop-up tent) and shine strong lights from both sides. I got bored with the white or black back drops that come with the box so I laid one of them flat on an oversized sheet of paper to use as a size guide and the painted my own.  Most of my photos turn out decent and I've been happy with them overall. ;)
I have a light box/tent too. What I do is I had some scrap fabric that I just folded over (since my tent didn't come with any back drops) and hold the back drop up with magnets :) I need to make it a more proper size though

Offline pop-girl

• Trade Count: (+140)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/mlppopgirl/pop-customs
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 05:26:50 PM »
I have a light box/tent too. What I do is I had some scrap fabric that I just folded over (since my tent didn't come with any back drops) and hold the back drop up with magnets :) I need to make it a more proper size though

Magnets are a great idea! :D The backdrops which came with my tent are secured by velcro - they cover the back and bottom portion of the tent. I usually just take my homemade paper backdrop and use clothespins to secure it to one of the factory backdrops. They're kind of cumbersome. :huh:
Love & Miss My Pony Peeps!  :lovey:

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 05:30:35 PM »

Magnets are a great idea! :D The backdrops which came with my tent are secured by velcro - they cover the back and bottom portion of the tent. I usually just take my homemade paper backdrop and use clothespins to secure it to one of the factory backdrops. They're kind of cumbersome. :huh:
Glad I was able to give the idea :D You can probably put the magnets on the bottom too! I need to do that when I fix my backdrop XD

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 09:03:57 PM »
I do not use a light box, since alot of times the things I have to photo would not fit.  LOL

I do use a back drop that stays up and then I can what is ontop when not taking boring shots or wanting to have fun.  One trick I use is to use the "ott" light blubs, right now I am using the Home Depot version of them and I get pretty nice results for an indoor shot.

I have two 100 hundreds in those old flood reflectors, then one more 100 watt in a goose neck to get some light down on the top.  The two side lights are at about 45 degrees.  I can cover them with some white cheese cloth like material to soften them if need be.

:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline wiccanpony1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2012, 01:34:27 PM »
Thanks guys you have all been super helpful x x I might look out for a lightbox/tent :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal