collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The condition of Nirvanas  (Read 1012 times)

Offline Desert Rose

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Desert Rose's Dream
The condition of Nirvanas
« on: July 31, 2012, 07:14:55 AM »
I don't know if you can call this a rant or just an observation or what :P

But everytime I browse through Nirvana ponies on Ebay they are most often in pretty bad condition. Hair cut or faded, symbols/eyes etc. almost gone, increadibly dirty and so forth... Ok, so alot of it can be taken care of quite easily, but still...

It seems impossible to find a Nirvana pony in good condition. Just always wondered why on earth the Nirvanas always seem to be in such terrible shape =/
Or is it just me with bad luck?
~*Erica*~
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: If you have ponies for sale then take a look around my page Desert Rose's Dream :heart:

Moondancer115

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: The condition of Nirvanas
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 07:46:13 AM »
No it is not you! That is what I am thinking every time I am looking for nirvanas. It is like you say so weird why are they all such in bad shape and the more common ones not?
It is really a misterie to me.

Offline Dusky

• Trade Count: (+134)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Clockwork Firebird Designs
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 08:33:50 AM »
I've noted this too. With the really far flung ponies it can be because their original plastic and manufacturing processes were so cheap/bad that the ponies just haven't survived 30 years of wear and tear. With ones closer to home... I do get quite baffled by how beaten up a lot of italian/spanish ponies seem to be.

Offline Desert Rose

• View Profile
    • Desert Rose's Dream
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 08:39:15 AM »
Yeh that's what's funny.

The German and Dutch ones are mostly really good, then there's the Spanish and Italians which are a little worse but not too bad. Then comes the South American ones that mostly seem to be pretty beaten up O.o

It's all just so odd to me XD And disapointing because there's so many pretty nirvanas I want, but finding them in good condition or "rescuable condition" is so difficult >.<
~*Erica*~

:heart: If you have ponies for sale then take a look around my page Desert Rose's Dream :heart:

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 08:48:06 AM »
You have to think about the economy & cultural life styles of the countries that the ponies come from. In general, many of the South American countries are poorer when compared to some European countries. A pony from a country where families have less money to spend on toys may have been passed down to multiple children & got a lot of play time, thus ending up in worse condition than a pony who was played with by 1 child & stored in the attic for the last 20 years. As collectors, I think we can sometimes lose sight of the fact that these ponies started their life as a child's toy. ;)

In addition, the different materials used to make ponies in different regions can affect their condition today. For example, Brazil ponies often have frizzy hair which is probably a combination of the material used in the hair & the climate.

Offline Desert Rose

• View Profile
    • Desert Rose's Dream
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 10:03:23 AM »
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm well aware of that they first of all are kids toys.

That beeing said, none of my childhood ponies even come close to looking the way some of the Nirvanas do O.o And I played with them all the time, inside and outside. I loved them to bits. Yet they all still pretty much look like they were just removed from the box except some minor frizz on some of them.

So how on earth the ponies can end up in that state is beyond me :P

I think there's a point with the climate and the material used in ponies though :) Still such a shame to see most of them from those countries beeing in such shape =/
~*Erica*~

Offline Ember1

• Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 10:36:40 AM »
I totally get your rant. I have sold a lot of my collection. And all the remaining ponies are either mint or as close to mint as you can get.
I totally understand how you feel.. I think acquiring the great condition nirvanas is quite a quest but well worth it. They are out there.
Don't loose heart.
Andre's Sunsparkler Hybrid Proto
"Love is the only truly immortal thing in this world, and if we can learn to love
unconditionally, than it is possible to break down the barriers of death itself."

Offline sillymoosey

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • Nirvana wishlist
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 10:44:47 AM »
Like kitkat said, it has more to do with the fact that these toys were passed down from child to child. My own childhood ponies were still in pretty good shape but being from a middle class canadian family, I probably had a lot more ponies and a lot more toys in general than the average child from a South American country. So it's pretty logical to think that if I had 15 ponies in total, each pony got a lot less play time than the one or two ponies that a South American little girl had. And I stored my ponies for many years before I got into collecting.

Another possibility is that South American kids may have played outside more with their toys since the weather is usually warmer. I mostly played with my ponies indoors in the winter time...

Finally, the only reason that it seems like ponies made in Hong Kong are in better shape is because there were quite a bit more of them. So the ones are are being sold on ebay are usually the ones that are in better condition and the badly damaged ones end up in bait lots. I'm pretty sure that it we were to find all of the Hong Kong ponies ever made, most of them would be in terrible shape...

Offline Spectrum

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • no bass in the jazz room
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 11:03:59 AM »
Like said, quality control. xD

It's near impossible to find a decent condition Colombian due to quality control, though from what I've seen, the pricey babies seem to be in better condition than the adults..

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 11:25:37 AM »
i think it has all been covered :)

i agree that the quality of the materials, quality control in the factory, the enviorment the pony has been in and well as the amount of play all adds up.

there are mint nirvana ponies out there, but they do take some tracking down.

love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Tiggums6

• Valkyrie of the Victory
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 11:53:16 AM »
Yep that pretty much covers it! Don't forget the Greeks, they were made of nice quality stuff and can still be found in very nice shape for their age.
Remember kids....don't drink and ebay...

Offline LadyGuinevere

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
    • Princesses with Dragons Accessory Survey
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 01:01:05 PM »
French ponies are also often in very good shape. Don't have much to add other than that, lol!

Visit my Princesses with Dragons Accessory Website
Thanks to SDS for my gorgeous avvie!

Offline Ember1

• Trade Count: (+81)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 01:28:59 PM »
I think the Colombian ponies must have been very popular. They must have been played with and even handed down from child to child within families. They have an abnormal amount of wear. Plus the humidity. I am sure factors in to the condition problems.

I also find it crazy that not one MOC colombian pony has ever been found. But I have seen a pamphlet picture of a MOC Colombian pony so we know they were sold on cards. Most currently found mint condition ponies came from old factories where their card was ruined but the pony still remained. At least I was told this was the case with baby bowtie, reverse bowtie, blue rainbow haired AJ, and yellow daddy apple delight that I have.

I agree, French and Greek ponies seemed to have better track records for being found in better condition.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 01:31:08 PM by Ember1 »
Andre's Sunsparkler Hybrid Proto
"Love is the only truly immortal thing in this world, and if we can learn to love
unconditionally, than it is possible to break down the barriers of death itself."

Offline Caro:3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 07:13:08 PM »
In the past, in my country, poor people did not buy ponies, because they were expensive toys that only the middle classes had access. If you know the ponies are in poor condition, it is because the girls who cared for her toys keep them. In addition, there are fewer nirvanas from South America, so in proportion is logical that there are less healthy. I had a single pony in my childhood, and is in perfect condition. As I only have one, too careful.

bye!!!!!!  :lol:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 07:21:51 PM by Caro:3 »

Offline Silver_mirror46

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • View Profile
    • Check out my art store @La Poyoshop on Etsy
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 09:10:28 PM »
I'd say it's not just the economic status of the country but also partly the ideology and culture children grew up with (which reflects on how said child treats his or her toys), most ponies considered "baity" that I've seen on Ebay or flea market finds on the brag forum are in much better shape than those I grab at flea markets and Mercadolibre (some sort of Hispan Ebay), heck I've found ponies with parts nearly chipped off and with holes punched on them, all manky and grimy with their bodies dribbled (I got a pair of nirvanas with their previous owners' names written on their butts in permanent ink). I'm glad I managed to save most of them D: (and thank goodness I've never gotten a smoozed nirvana)

thank you PonyWithnoCrown afor the lovely pony in siggie :3
My DA page  My Tumblr Art Tag  Commissions   Trader Feedback

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal