collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Best way to ship from US to UK?  (Read 517 times)

Offline dippindot

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
Best way to ship from US to UK?
« on: July 29, 2012, 08:19:53 PM »
I'm considering doing a trade with someone in the UK, but I've never shipped anything international.  Could someone with experience share some insight as to the best way to ship a single custom pony safely and hopefully inexpensively? 

What sort of packaging works best?  Is there a shipping method that is safe (read: has tracking) without being ridiculously expensive?  What is different about shipping internationally vs shipping domestically?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

CloudBurst Reference

Signature is rotating, PM for artist info! : )

Offline teresat

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pony Cow
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to ship from US to UK?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 09:31:03 PM »
If under 13oz, you can use USPS First Class International. From what I understand, the customs number can also provide some tracing information. The Customs number looks something like LCxxxxxxxxxUS.  I also registered my parcel to the UK to get extra tracing information and indemnity. That costs an additional $11.75. I did this for a higher priced pony. 

Regular International Priority Mail, not Flat Rate, and International Express have tracing included in the price but that can get expensive.

If you go to http://postcalc.usps.com you can get the different rates for shipping to the UK.
:biggrin: >_<^.^

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 05:08:46 AM »
The weight limit for a First-Class Mail International package (small packet) is actually 4 pounds.  There are dimension restrictions but for a single custom pony I don't think they will apply to you.

I think your best way to ship is in a box.  I use 4x4x4 boxes for a single pony and there is usually enough room left for extra packing materials.

I am going to estimate that it's weight is only going to be 6-7 ounces.  So it should only cost you around $7.68 or maybe a little more.  I also think your safe to ship First Class as I use First Class International on a daily bases and I have very few problems.  Priority is extremely expensive in my opinion, and it does not get there any sooner.
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline teresat

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pony Cow
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 09:34:41 AM »
Thanks pony lady! I was mixing up domestic and international first class! >_<

There really isn't much price difference between Priority and Express Mail.

:biggrin: >_<^.^

Offline dippindot

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 10:15:12 AM »
Thank you ponylady!  First Class International sounds like the way to go, and it's a relief to hear that you use it all the time without many problems. 

CloudBurst Reference

Signature is rotating, PM for artist info! : )

Offline babystarz

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 10:44:35 AM »
Shipping internationally, first class is the way to go as long as the items you're sending aren't worth more than $100. I've never had a package lost and I ship to the U.K., France, Australia, Canada and Mexico frequently :)

As far as packing goes, I agree, go with a box that is under the size requirements, but still roomy. Wrap the custom in plenty of clear bubble wrap (so customs can see the pony without opening it), then surround her in packing peanuts on all sides. Also, make sure you reinforce the box with shipping tape (and make sure it's shipping tape, not "moving" or "packaging" tape which are intended to be easy to remove). I wrap tape around the middle 3 times both ways (horizontally and vertically) then usually tape up all the other seams, then ad two strips of reinforcement on each side. It's a lot of tape, but it makes me feel confident about the box being structurally sound. You never know when something might be dropped on it, or if it might be left in a puddle or that kind of thing!

The only time I've gone with a more expensive international shipping option is if the item(s) being shipped is/are worth more than I would want to shell out of pocket to replace. In this case, I bump up to Priority and make sure to get insurance and/or register the package.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal