collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Sailor Moon question  (Read 689 times)

Offline FairyDust

• Professor Snape Pony
  • Trade Count: (+47)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Sailor Moon question
« on: July 29, 2012, 10:11:31 AM »
Does anybody know if Sailor Moon cartoon was ever realised on dvd for the Sailor Moon R?  I see all these sets that are Japanese with english subtitles but I'd want it in english.  Needs to be a legal copy too, no illegal copies.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Collector of Jem and the Holograms, MLP, Kitty Kitty Kittens, and of course Totsy ponies.

Offline Lyra

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Sailor Moon question
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 10:46:41 AM »
I'm not a sailor moon expert, but, I go this impression that the full original episodes of Sailormoon are not available with an english dub as one was never made? I think the 'first season' of english dubbed sailormoon that aired in US etc was a very edited season one (Sailormoon) and two (Sailor Moon R) shortened and  stuck together??
Though, I heard something ages ago about a new english dub of Sailor moon being made that would be uncut?...don't know if that happened or not...o_0

I could be wrroong
Lyra Silvertongue - not Heartstrings!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 11:40:27 AM »
I'm not sure though I would like to know too.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Knibitz

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 11:43:35 AM »
dvd-no. but some (if not all) episodes were released on VHS

Post Merge: July 29, 2012, 11:43:38 AM

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 12:08:53 PM »
Actually, there is. It just wouldn't be the box set. And I'm sure it is the version that was on tv, so certain parts are edited and cut out as it was on tv. Make sure it is R1 (region 1).

Check on ebay "Sailor Moon  Complete Anime DVD Set R1" for what they look like. It looks like that they don't call it Sailor Moon R, (as it wasn't called that here in the states). I think it's vol 8-14 that are R...

:) I imagine it would be expensive or tough to get them all. ..... TT__TT; I kinda want them too now.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 12:12:24 PM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 02:40:11 PM »
I have an uncut season one but i think it is non English dubbed i have to find it and look.

Offline Ren-Ren

• Trade Count: (+237)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://renren-1.livejournal.com/
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 02:44:00 PM »
Yeah, BanditPony is right--individual discs existed. But last time I saw them they were super expensive.

Did you guys know there will be some sort of new Sailor Moon animation being aired in Japan next year? Not sure if it's a new TV series or just something short. But with other reboots coming out to more closely mirror their mangas (like FMA) I think it's likely that is what it is. 
Thanks to Calico Star for my siggy! <3 (deleted cause photobucket)
*** My Sales Page*** My Little Pink Pony Loves MMA***

Offline FairyDust

• Professor Snape Pony
  • Trade Count: (+47)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 03:28:00 PM »
Do you guys think they might release the english dub since they start putting out the new Sailor Moon rebooted show?  I really hope they do...

Collector of Jem and the Holograms, MLP, Kitty Kitty Kittens, and of course Totsy ponies.

Offline Dewprincess

• Trade Count: (+125)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 04:17:27 PM »
Actually, there is. It just wouldn't be the box set. And I'm sure it is the version that was on tv, so certain parts are edited and cut out as it was on tv. Make sure it is R1 (region 1).

Check on ebay "Sailor Moon  Complete Anime DVD Set R1" for what they look like. It looks like that they don't call it Sailor Moon R, (as it wasn't called that here in the states). I think it's vol 8-14 that are R...

:) I imagine it would be expensive or tough to get them all. ..... TT__TT; I kinda want them too now.

Bandit is right on all counts, and they do tend to be very pricey to try to get through eBay or Amazon.  Every now and then you might luck out and find one at a shop that sells used DVDs though...

Offline dxgirly

• Trade Count: (+66)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 07:40:24 PM »
I really hope they release them in English on DVD now that they're making a new Sailor Moon anime. I used to watch it every morning before school, growing up. :lovey:

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 07:53:56 PM »
They released seasons 1 &2 on DVD in Japanese in fancy box sets for Region 1.  I have Season 1 of it.  Sadly my copies of the movies are bootleg as I didn't know better when I bought them.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Ren-Ren

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 09:00:24 PM »
As far as I know, all rights to the Sailor Moon anime have reverted back to the Japanese company, Toei, and Japanese entertainment companies are horrendously unaware and uncaring of what US audiences want (because we're not their main audience or revenue generator) so, unfortunately, I kinda doubt we'll ever see the English dub made available again. Here's hoping that I'm completely wrong.

Rococo

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 09:27:14 PM »
It was never released in English, uncut. However, DiC had a bunch of edited, English-only DVD releases but they were random episodes and never a full season, afaik.

(For the full Japanese language set, in early 2000, ADV (a now-defunct anime-licensing company) had the rights briefly to un-edited, Japanese-language Sailor Moon for region 1 (North America) release. They released seasons 1 and 2 of SM on DVD in strictly Japanese with English subtitles but the prices were ridiculously expensive... and they were only sold for a limited time so the price of the two box sets shot up even more after they got discontinued. Later, Geneon (also a now-defunct anime-licensing company) released Sailor Moon S and SuperS on DVD, this time with the option of unedited English dub too.

The quality of the release was also pretty shite for the ADV release, tbh (I own both seasons). Both the audio and video quality. Seriously, it was like a very bad VHS recording of a recording of a TV show.)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 09:31:10 PM by Rococo »

Offline Ren-Ren

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 09:35:22 PM »
The quality WAS unfortunate, but it was not the fault of ADV--it was the best they could do with the quality of the original footage, from what I understand.

Rococo

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2012, 09:39:40 PM »
The quality WAS unfortunate, but it was not the fault of ADV--it was the best they could do with the quality of the original footage, from what I understand.

ADV only had the rights to use DiC's masters, and DiC's masters had gotten truly messed up. Also, after the NA rights expired I think Naoko didn't want to license the series to practically anyone anymore for a very long time because she wasn't very happy about all the changes and edits that were made to the anime/manga.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal