collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hanging up a sleeping bag?  (Read 1111 times)

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Hanging up a sleeping bag?
« on: July 28, 2012, 11:41:46 AM »
I know I've been posting a lot of question threads like this lately.  :blush: But I'm really excited because you don't really find a lot of G1s here and today I got my hands on a G1 sleeping bag at a thrift store! (Same place I got my Darlin' Dino. I love that store. :frolic:)

It doesn't look dirty to me save for a few tiny holes (moths?) and it doesn't stink aside from a musty smell. (I will probably fluff it up in the dryer first before doing anything else.) And since it's in such good shape, I really want to display it by finding a way to hang it up on the wall in my room. But has anyone done that before? I'd prefer to find a way without having to nail holes into the wall since I live with my grandma and we just got done a few months ago sealing up all of the old wall damage my uncle did when he was staying in that room.

Has anyone done this before? It's such a cute sleeping bag that I would hate to just put it away and in the dark where it will be not appreciated.

Offline TwistedWindSox

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Hanging up a sleeping bag?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 01:23:41 PM »
Maybe you could use command strip hooks?
They attach to the wall with some kind of sticky stuff, and then you pull on a tab on the bottem when/if you want to take them down, and I guess they don't leave marks or anything.
Maybe someone else will have better advice, though. :p

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • Trade Count: (+259)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 01:37:56 PM »
I like the wall hangers that you pull the tab on to remove :) They work well!

But for hanging a sleeping bag, I am not quite sure how you would rig that. Perhaps some clothes hanger and a string? Then you could hang the string over the hook on the wall without damaging the bag :)

Post Merge: July 28, 2012, 01:38:58 PM

Or perhaps you could use a hanger for skirts? The ones with the built on clippies?
Man who wear lampshade on head is bright!

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 03:51:13 PM »
Those are amazing ideas, both of you! I have never heard of command strip hooks before, but they sound like the most amazing thing ever. Even if they do leave behind adhesive residue, that's alright because I'm sure it can just be washed off. Question though- where exactly does one find them?

I love the clippy hanger idea too. We have so many of those around it's nuts. As a curvy woman, just about all I wear are skirts and dresses so I have plenty to spare!

Thanks darlin's! :frolic:

Offline butterflybuttons

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Feeling the G2 love
    • View Profile
    • My outdated DA
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 04:11:11 PM »
The skirt hangers sound like the best way. Hooks could eventually wear a hole in the sleeping bag.

And huge congrats on finding the sleeping bag, they are awesome!

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 08:55:35 PM »
Thank you! It's the one with the Sundae Best ponies around a Maypole!

Offline RavenFeather

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 10:52:44 PM »
well, Command strips tend to be in the hardware section at Walmart.  And they have never left residue for me before!

Maybe look into a door hanger.  It just sits on top of a door and the door can still shut and ....Here just let me get a picture off of google to show you before I start rambling!  :lol:

Something similar to this, no nails, no marks, and it just sits on the door.  I use one for my cosplays!
 Thanks Bronely!

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 11:25:32 PM »
well, Command strips tend to be in the hardware section at Walmart.  And they have never left residue for me before!

Maybe look into a door hanger.  It just sits on top of a door and the door can still shut and ....Here just let me get a picture off of google to show you before I start rambling!  :lol:

Something similar to this, no nails, no marks, and it just sits on the door.  I use one for my cosplays!

You know what... that's a really good idea also and I actually have a spare hanging around! There was a specific part of wall that I wanted to use, but since you bring up the door thingy I will do it! But really, just because I am a cheap human being and I might as well use what I already have. :silly:

gargoylekitty

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 11:34:36 PM »
Depending on how big it is, like if it's a kid-sized one, you could even consider framing it? It'd be pretty simple, you'd just need a big enough frame and some mat board. Sew the sleeping bag to the mat board then pop it in the frame. So long as it doesn't weight too much you could even still use command strips then(especially if you take out the glass, granted that leaves it exposed to dust/getting damaged still, but if you were going to hang it without a frame there was already that possibility)

As for frame-less hanging? Perhaps you can do it like how people hang tapestries with a laundry-style twist(since it lacks the place to put the pole through it that tapestries have)? Use two command hooks and string some wire or heavy string between them tightly then use some clips like those skirt hangers(would be a little concerned about long term damage depending on how much it weighs, since I'm sure that would put stress on the spot it's clipped)?

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 08:42:14 AM »
I have a friend who collects tapestries [yes I know :P but she doesnt judge the ponies so I dont judge the tapestries :P] however she uses stitched on velcro strips for the lighter weight items and stitched on casings for heavier items...

A casing is essentially a tube of cotton or linen binding that is hand sewn across the top of the back, stopping just short of each side of the "tapestry". A metal rod slightly shorter than the width of the "tapestry" but longer than the casing can then be inserted in the casing. This rod can be supported on two slightly angled nails or two screws in the wall. She likes to have breathing space between the back of the items and the wall as well - apparently that's important :) but I dont know if its relevant to this. You can do the same at the bottom of the item - another casing along the bottom and back and "hook" the metal rod around two lower placed screws or nails and this lets you stretch the "tapestry" into place.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline FairyDust

• Professor Snape Pony
  • Trade Count: (+47)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 09:22:47 AM by FairyDust »

Collector of Jem and the Holograms, MLP, Kitty Kitty Kittens, and of course Totsy ponies.

Offline Squirrelypaws

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 09:37:45 AM »
Admittedly, I've never done this with the intention of using a blanket as a permanent wall decoration, but I hang blankets all the time to darken the room for gaming/movies, and thumbtacks/push pins work nicely. They hold securely, and I've never noticed any damage to the blankets when I take them down.

Although, to use them for a sleeping bag, you'd probably need to unzip it; too thick otherwise.
**Formerly known as GryffindorHermione**
~*{Squirrely's Stuff For Sale}*~
Ponies ;; Dolls ;; Other Toys

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 09:42:44 AM »
I had never thought about how difficult hanging a sleeping bag might be! The top flops open, they get bunchy... wow!
What i'm picturing (if you haven't already hung it on the door) is two command hooks (near the hammers at Target/Walmart) and two of the pants/skirts hangers. You can get those free at Target/Walmart, just ask a nice employee if you can have a couple. If they get grumpy, try another store. They're really cheap for stores! Or you could buy a couple skirts and ask to keep the hangers.
So with two of these hangers and a couple command strips, you have art!
Thanks so much to Calico_Star for her beautiful work on my Avatar!
**want list**  **for sale**

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 09:54:19 AM »
I had never thought about how difficult hanging a sleeping bag might be! The top flops open, they get bunchy... wow!
What i'm picturing (if you haven't already hung it on the door) is two command hooks (near the hammers at Target/Walmart) and two of the pants/skirts hangers. You can get those free at Target/Walmart, just ask a nice employee if you can have a couple. If they get grumpy, try another store. They're really cheap for stores! Or you could buy a couple skirts and ask to keep the hangers.
So with two of these hangers and a couple command strips, you have art!

Well initially I was kind of hoping that I could unzip the whole thing, but then I realized that it was the same picture on both sides... not a continuing picture that I initially thought! I think I will try clipping the one side and then holding it up on the door hook with a clippy hanger.

I don't actually have a Target. D: I live in the largest city in the US that doesn't! But we have some Wal Marts and things, one of them is where my cousin works. I will have her bring some home for me.

Also, FairyDust, those are wonderful links! I'll see if the door hook I already have will work, but I do like the heart-shaped ones!

Offline dxgirly

• Trade Count: (+66)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2012, 02:33:57 PM »
My first thought was to use a quilt rack.  :blush:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal