collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Doll Photography Talk  (Read 1463 times)

Offline JigglesTheCat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Doll Photography Talk
« on: July 24, 2012, 02:15:47 PM »
Since a lot of us enjoy taking photos, I thought we should have a place where we can share tips, tricks, and just about anything else that has to do with doll photos. All dolls are welcome!

To start our conversation... What type of camera do you use? I use an iPhone x3
I took a break from the Arena from a couple months due to school and other things in my life. But I'm back now!

Offline PandaBerryInSpace

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: Doll Photography Talk
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 02:31:59 PM »
I use a Sony Cybershot. It's nothing special, really.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Avatar art by January Joy, siggy art by DreamCatcher! Thank you so much! <3

ACNL FC: 3754 6763 3133

Knibitz

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 03:02:04 PM »
Doll photography is my life oAo

I use a nikon d7000 witha 50mm f/1.8 AF-S Nikkor lens most of the time, but I also often use my iphone as well XD

All of my editing is done in adobe camera raw editor and adobe photoshop cs5.1 :)

I don't often edit my photos from my iphone in photshop but I use the following apps on my phone
- Camera+ (A MUST! I don't know how it does it, but it takes AMAZINGLY better photos than just the plain camera app! easy uploading to social networking as well)
- Instagram (easy sharing and has a social network of it's own)
- ............ CRAP MY PHONE IS DEAD CANT REMEMBER ANYTHING ELSE RIGHT NOW *charges phone* I'll be back to update later XD

;3; I'd love it if people shared links to their galleries too if they had them! :D

my links are in my sig >3<
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 03:06:09 PM by Knibitz »

Offline JigglesTheCat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 03:06:03 PM »
Doll photography is my life oAo

I use a nikon d7000 witha 50mm f/1.8 AF-S Nikkor lens most of the time, but I also often use my iphone as well XD

All of my editing is done in adobe camera raw editor and adobe photoshop cs5.1 :)

;3; I'd love it if people shared links to their galleries too if they had them! :D

my links are in my sig >3<

My editing is done in Picasa X3

My Flickr is pretty empty as of now, but I'm taking pictures everyday to fill it all up :)
I took a break from the Arena from a couple months due to school and other things in my life. But I'm back now!

Sol28

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 03:36:56 PM »
I use a Canon 40D with a 18-135mm zoom lens (which is not the greatest for doll photography...but the camera and lens were given to me so I can't complain!). I'm still in the process of learning how to handle it as it's my first DSLR.

I also have Photoshop CS3 for editing.

My DA (http://solarius28.deviantart.com/) has a bunch of stuff, as does my Flikr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarius28/)

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 03:43:34 PM »
I edit with Paint.NET. I can't really do much, but that's okay.

Offline JigglesTheCat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 03:53:26 PM »
I edit with Paint.NET. I can't really do much, but that's okay.

I used that on my old laptop, but I never got around to downloading it on my current one :)

I don't often edit my photos from my iphone in photshop but I use the following apps on my phone
- Camera+ (A MUST! I don't know how it does it, but it takes AMAZINGLY better photos than just the plain camera app! easy uploading to social networking as well)
- Instagram (easy sharing and has a social network of it's own)
- ............ CRAP MY PHONE IS DEAD CANT REMEMBER ANYTHING ELSE RIGHT NOW *charges phone* I'll be back to update later XD

I'll download Camera+ next time I go take more photos :D

I'm looking through everyone's photos and they are all so amazing! ^_^

Offline pukunui

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • And the Trogdor comes in the niiiiiiiiight!!!
    • View Profile
    • pehr design & photography
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 04:11:11 PM »
I mainly use a Canon EOS 550D (T2i) for my doll photography. It was given to me for my 30th birthday last year. I did recently use the Hipstamatic app on my iPhone 3GS to take some snaps of my MS Lagoona, though.

My pics are all on Flickr.

I do a mixture of indoor and outdoor photography. For low-light conditions, I prefer light painting to using the flash, although it depends on the circumstances. I have a really nice Canon Speedlite flash that can technically be used wirelessly, but the T2i doesn't have the requisite hardware. I'd love to upgrade to the T3i.

I process my photos in Photoshop CS3. I use layer masks to achieve my trick photos. Mostly I just adjust levels, color, brightness/contrast, sharpness, and saturation, though.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 04:17:25 PM by pukunui »

Online Shaiyeh

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 11:00:57 AM »
I *need* to get myself  a better camera... right now, I'm using a canon Ixus 900 or something... or my iPhone, which feels like it's slightly better x)

I edit in PS CS4.

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Knibitz

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 11:10:15 AM »
the iphone4 actually has a really poewrful camera if that's what you have, the 4S even stronger! :D

I took this with camera+ did a small levels adjustment in photoshop as well as adding the border and my watermark.

this was also taken with camera+ and uploaded straight from my phone, all the editing done in camera+

Back around April or so I killed my memory card (I literally broke it in half) so I was without my camera for about a week (bought a new card online)
I resorted to my iPhone and was determined to make my photos not look like crap XD
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 11:16:41 AM by Knibitz »

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 11:31:44 AM »
I mostly do outdoor photography. I'm hoping to, at some point, make a light box so I can take some better indoor pictures, but right now, the best I can really do is drape a towel over a chair and call it a backdrop. :\ My camera is also pretty bad with lighting. It can be really random, and sometimes, it will flat out refuse to take a clear photo. In worst case scenarios, this happens:

I tried to pretend that I did it on purpose, and that I was intending for it to look like a vintage newspaper photo, but the only thing I did was add sepia tone. The original really was that grainy. :(

So, I just stick to taking outdoor pictures where I have UV light. :P I don't go outside often, so I'm having fun discovering new places in my yard to take pictures. XD
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 11:33:16 AM by PandaBerryInSpace »

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 11:41:39 AM »
I use my Nokia N8. It's OK, I do have a Kodak knocking around somewhere but I have to charge the batteries for it and i keep forgetting.

I edit using Picasa, occasionally using the frames and effects on Photobucket sometimes too, although PB tends to kill the quality sometimes.

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Knibitz

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 11:46:51 AM »
the grainy is because you're taking in a dimly lit situation.  What's causing it is your ISO values (generally range between 200-3200), which basically means, your camera records less data so it use faster speed to snap the photo.
Thus you get a nasty grain in your photos.

do you know if you have an ability on your camera to switch the ISO? It's on auto right now, I'm guessing, so the darker the conditions, the grainier the photo.

/random fact
low grain ISO is one of the things that upper level DSLRs are great at, namely Nikon.  Nikon is the way to go if you're wanting ot do low light photography.
they can go to high ISOs with very very little grain.

not a doll photo XD but my camera at 800 ISO

This was shot at dusk with my zoom lens at a 200mm focal length with a larger aperture value, and that meant having to use a higher ISO to be able to use a faster shutter speed (or I would have had shakey dear [this was shot handheld])
It looks pretty sharp, rather than straight up grainy. Some of that is editing, but a lot of that is just my cameras ISO performance.

>_> tldr

Offline Icicle

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Come on everypony, smile, smile, smile~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 11:51:00 AM »
I've got a crappy FujiFilm FinePix A805 that I just wanna toss out a window. It can take pretty decent photos outside (which is my preferred option) and okay flash ones.. I just can't do anything with the ISO (like, there are NO options to fuss with it, it's always stuck on auto). I really want to get a better camera.

I usually edit in Picasa or Photoshop CS3.

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 11:59:27 AM »
@Knibitz -- OMG. Now everything makes sense! When I take pictures with good lighting, the camera usually focuses before it snaps, but when I took that one, it refused to focus and just snapped right away. I was getting so mad and wondering why it was doing that... And yes, it was very dimly lit at the time. I was in the bathtub, LOL. I'll have to see if there are any other settings. I'm definitely not going to take pictures in the bathtub, though. XD

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal