collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 554
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Avenger Ponies? Any clues?  (Read 1245 times)

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
Avenger Ponies? Any clues?
« on: July 22, 2012, 07:07:23 PM »
Ok I've not seen these for myself, only getting a description from a friend... well sort of a description. Also I have no idea if this can be posted here or over in Off Topic, so mods please move if it needs to be moved.

Anyway, my friend just logged on after going to the movies, I don't know what movie she saw but she told us she went to Universal City Walk (whatever that is, must be a California thing). Anyway, she mentioned she spotted some Marvel Avenger Ponies, they are of course not MLPs but she was tempted to buy some for me and a friend... though she said they were $40 per pony so nope won't get one...

But this has me curious, has anyone seen or heard of these? She doesn't know what brand but I'm sure someone somewhere might have more info on them... as Google is failing me right now orz.
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Avenger Ponies? Any clues?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 11:28:54 PM »
omg i so want a loki pony, im going to watch just incase and bump every now and then :D
i found this cool loki art, hope its not copywriting :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 11:33:18 PM »
*Brain asplodes*
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

DancingPhoenix

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 11:55:02 PM »
Hmm, that's interesting!

All I know is that Universal doesn't actually own the rights to Marvel anymore, Disney does. So all merchandise that has Marvel characters should be from Disney, not Universal. I mean Universal was allowed to keep the rights on their rides and the superhero theme park thing, but all merchandising is now under Disney's control.

I really want to see these though! Oh man I want and Iron Man pony :dribble:

Offline Scraleos

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 12:22:31 AM »
Omg. Omg. Omg. Avengers ponies would make my entire life and then some. *Must resist buying custom Avengers plus Loki ponies*

Trade | Wanted | Pony Plushies

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 12:57:24 AM »
*scoops up brain* If I might interject while Disney might own Marvel there has been a long standing agreement with Hasbro to make the toys for any Marvel properties that existed before the acquisition. There might also be a similar agreement with Universal since if I recall correctly Marvel characters still wander around Universal.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 01:52:51 AM »
Also Universal walk is outside Universal Studios and is a bunch of shops and restraunts. So not all the stuff sold there would be owned by universal as i recall there are quit a few shops with collectables.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 04:16:19 AM »
Hmmm...so they are saying ponies as characters from the Avengers?

Can I be the sceptic and say are they sure they didn't see some of the older Comic Con ponies? Villain, Ninja and Superhero perhaps? I know they still turn up in stores sometimes and they are at least in a similar theme if not actually looking like the Avengers.

Other than that you are going to need to ask for pics! :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

keikokukien

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 04:47:43 AM »
About a week ago, someone in the Customs forums posted pictures of Avengers customs. They used a giant fake as the hulk and g4s for all the others. Does that sound like them?

Post Merge: July 23, 2012, 04:50:17 AM

http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,297749.0.html Here we are. :)I is thus them?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 04:50:17 AM by keikokukien »

Offline moonsget

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
    • Moonsget's Meadow
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 07:41:28 AM »
Hmm, that's interesting!

All I know is that Universal doesn't actually own the rights to Marvel anymore, Disney does. So all merchandise that has Marvel characters should be from Disney, not Universal. I mean Universal was allowed to keep the rights on their rides and the superhero theme park thing, but all merchandising is now under Disney's control.

Universal never "owned" any rights to Marvel's stuff, they only *licenesed* them for the theme park. They only ever produced *park-specific* Marvel merchandise -- everything else they sold was made by other companies that also licensed the characters, and which you could technically get anywhere. Disney doesn't make everything Marvel - they license stuff out, just like Marvel did before they were bought, and just like Disney does with it's own characters.

Now, if you mean to say that MArvel should only be sold *at* Disney, part of Universal's agreement with Marvel was that they would have proprietary rights over other theme parks for selling the merch, an agreement which Disney/Marvel still has to honour until the agreement is up (and which Disney might renew, or might rework so that Universal can still sell stuff but won't have exclusivity). There is very little Marvel merch available at Disney World -- it's only in two shops, one of which is owned by Hasbro and both of which are in Downtown Disney (which is Disney's equivalent of Ciitywalk, which is probably why they are able to sell anything at all). There's no Marvel stuff in any of the Disney parks, not even Hollywood Studios (which used to sell Marvel comics years ago), and the Avengers monorail couldn't be run to Epcot (the way the Tron monorail had been) because that monorail actually goes into that park. They used to have a fair bit of Marvel merch at World of Disney in Downtown Disney, but they've removed it from there as well (even though other World of Disney locations off-property sell Marvel stuff), and the Marvel merch at the Hasbro store even is dwindling rapidly.

Speaking of customs, I've done Thor & Kid Loki customs myself, and have at least two more Lokis (possibly 3 or even 4) & two more Thors planned. :)
http://fav.me/d4aiheg
http://fav.me/d4aifov
http://fav.me/d4aiggy

I actually have an updated helmet for Thor; I just need to get around to taking pics. XD

If you're Marvel fans in general, not just Avengers fans, I recently did a Spider-Man pony as well ...
http://fav.me/d57n90s
~Moonsget/Wolfie
... is a Tart and a deviant ...

Offline knitgirl

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 07:44:51 AM »
I live right down the street from Florida's Universal City Walk so I'd be happy to check for anyone next time I'm there if I can figure out what store or gift shop it would be from.

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 09:17:48 AM »
Hmmm...so they are saying ponies as characters from the Avengers?

Can I be the sceptic and say are they sure they didn't see some of the older Comic Con ponies? Villain, Ninja and Superhero perhaps? I know they still turn up in stores sometimes and they are at least in a similar theme if not actually looking like the Avengers.

Other than that you are going to need to ask for pics! :)
Well she said they weren't mlps, I don't think I can go and get her to take pics of them sadly.. but I might ask her if she can try.

I live right down the street from Florida's Universal City Walk so I'd be happy to check for anyone next time I'm there if I can figure out what store or gift shop it would be from.
That I can ask her if she remembers the store, maybe there is some there near you XD

DancingPhoenix

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 10:02:20 AM »
Hmm, that's interesting!

Universal never "owned" any rights to Marvel's stuff, they only *licenesed* them for the theme park. They only ever produced *park-specific* Marvel merchandise -- everything else they sold was made by other companies that also licensed the characters, and which you could technically get anywhere. Disney doesn't make everything Marvel - they license stuff out, just like Marvel did before they were bought, and just like Disney does with it's own characters.

Now, if you mean to say that MArvel should only be sold *at* Disney, part of Universal's agreement with Marvel was that they would have proprietary rights over other theme parks for selling the merch, an agreement which Disney/Marvel still has to honour until the agreement is up (and which Disney might renew, or might rework so that Universal can still sell stuff but won't have exclusivity). There is very little Marvel merch available at Disney World -- it's only in two shops, one of which is owned by Hasbro and both of which are in Downtown Disney (which is Disney's equivalent of Ciitywalk, which is probably why they are able to sell anything at all). There's no Marvel stuff in any of the Disney parks, not even Hollywood Studios (which used to sell Marvel comics years ago), and the Avengers monorail couldn't be run to Epcot (the way the Tron monorail had been) because that monorail actually goes into that park. They used to have a fair bit of Marvel merch at World of Disney in Downtown Disney, but they've removed it from there as well (even though other World of Disney locations off-property sell Marvel stuff), and the Marvel merch at the Hasbro store even is dwindling rapidly.

Speaking of customs, I've done Thor & Kid Loki customs myself, and have at least two more Lokis (possibly 3 or even 4) & two more Thors planned. :)
http://fav.me/d4aiheg
http://fav.me/d4aifov
http://fav.me/d4aiggy

I actually have an updated helmet for Thor; I just need to get around to taking pics. XD

If you're Marvel fans in general, not just Avengers fans, I recently did a Spider-Man pony as well ...
http://fav.me/d57n90s

Sorry I should've been more specific I guess, that's what I meant by "owning" Marvel, I meant the licensing rights. There is in fact an agreement for Universal to keep all the Marvel things they have in the parks, because they have been that way for so long.
And no, I didn't mean they'd JUST be sold at Disney XD I've been to City Walk and the parks and Downtown Disney and those parks and know that there are other stores and restaurants that are not related to the company the park belongs to. I was simply stating what I know right now about Marvel, and that maybe they WOULD be available at Disney as well?

I honestly can't think of what toy company would produce ponies that were the Avengers. You said they weren't MLP, and I personally don't know fakie brands that well.

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 11:50:16 AM »
With the price I am wondering if they are actual toy ponies (Hasbro has made other toy ponies besides MLP after all) or some kind of collectible figurines like the "Trail of Painted Ponies" ones. I hope the mystery is solved since I have been a little Avengers (especially Iron Man/Cap America) happy as of late.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 11:58:48 AM »
With the price I am wondering if they are actual toy ponies (Hasbro has made other toy ponies besides MLP after all) or some kind of collectible figurines like the "Trail of Painted Ponies" ones. I hope the mystery is solved since I have been a little Avengers (especially Iron Man/Cap America) happy as of late.
Not sure, I doubt they are actual toys but google search brought nothing up... When I get back home from my errands I'll ask my friend again... first I got to wait till after the hour because I have something going on one of the sites I'm on that I need to be on for XD

Post Merge: July 23, 2012, 02:29:07 PM

Brought it up with my friend and this is what she told me

I was rethinking it last night and I think it might have been customs by an artist? I don't remember seeing the ponies boxed up like for retail, but I also couldnt get a really good look because it was crowded

I was planning on going back but mom got tired so we went home. I may be going back next weekened though

So not helpful to some but she will try checking next weekend
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 02:29:07 PM by sd_dreamcrystal »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal