collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Help! Quick baking question! *Update*  (Read 507 times)

Offline Twizel

• Switchblade Kitten
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • This crown gives me a feeling of power! POWER!
    • View Profile
Help! Quick baking question! *Update*
« on: July 21, 2012, 06:27:13 PM »
I have a pony that originally wasn't going to be baked, but the first sculpting didn't work out, so now she's got a bunch of Fimo waiting for a bake. Problem is... not thinking it was going to be baked, I rehaired her first...

It's just DH Black Magick, but - will baking it (230 degrees Fahrenheit) damage the hair somehow? There's no metal parts on the pony, just plastic, clay, and hair, but I'm worried =S

***UPDATE***
Alright, so I wrapped the hair in tin foil as best I could, and baked the head at just under 230 degrees Fahrenheit for about 45 minutes, checking it every ten or so. When I took the whole thing out, I set it outside (fumes!) to cool, then took it back inside to let it set overnight.

This morning! The hair was fine, maybe slightly less shiny, but that could also be from clay dust or something that got on it during handling. I need to dampen the hair anyway before styling, so I'm not too worried about it.

Interestingly, though, the white pony plastic (g1) cracked open around the hair plugs, like what you see in very dry ground or something. It's not a major problem since she's already haired, and not difficult to hide, but verrrrry strange. This was my first attempt at baking pony plastic, but I've never heard of that happening.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 07:05:39 AM by Twizel »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Quick baking question!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 06:28:39 PM »
I have heard some say it will not but I would be careful, maybe bake a little lower and slower.  Or cover with some tin foil.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline MnDancer

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 07:16:10 PM »
I'm interested in the answer to this, too. I've baked ponies, but not with hair on them. I would imagine it would be fine since I have used a curling iron on DH before, but I don't know the actual temp of the curling iron. You could always test it by putting some left-over hair in the oven at that temp and see what happens.
*gets fire extinguisher out*
:art:Pony lover since 1983 :rainbow:

LizbethDawn

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 10:25:24 PM »
I think MnDancers suggestion is good. With my hair tools the low is like 245 so I would imagine it should be ok.
I think I heard wetting the hair with cold water and wrapping with tin foil helps.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal