collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Thoughts on keeping track of your collection  (Read 1554 times)

Offline ebmerc

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Thoughts on keeping track of your collection
« on: July 19, 2012, 10:20:07 AM »
So over the years I've been doing a not so hot job keeping track of ponies I have and don't. I constantly lose track since a lot of my ponies are in storage.  I've used checklists, spreadsheets, websites exc. and so far it just hasn't been working so well for me. So my fellow collectors I ask you, do you have any advice on how to keep track of your pony collection? I'm sure many of you use some of the methods I've listed but I guess if you have tips and tricks about how to keep up with it all I'd love to hear them. :) Thanks in advance!

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on keeping track of your collection
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 10:26:53 AM »
I SOOOO need to do this with my pony collection, but I keep track of my Breyers with index cards. They are in my index card box under a divider titled "Horses", but my pony collection may have different tabs like Customs, G1's, G2's etc..., Blind bags, blah blah blah. You could even write which box they are stored in in the upper corner. You can also buy different colored cards for adults, babies, wingers, brothers, seaponies, etc...

Offline MimicMLP

• ~Non-Picky Pony Collector~
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • MimicMLP's Sales
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 10:31:35 AM »
I bought the My Little Pony Collectors Inventory Books...and I mark off the ponies in the book as I get them.
I also write how much I paid and where I got them from.

This helps me to know what ponies I have and if i ever decide to resell I will know what to sell for.
This has really helped me keep track of my collection.

I always keep the books handy so when a pony arrives in the mail I can mark it off in the book ASAP

Offline Sandi

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 10:39:22 AM »
I always take a picture of the pony as soon as I get it and transfer it to my pony album on my hard drive. Then it's easy to keep track, imo. :)
G1, G2 and G3 collector. I also collect a bunch of other stuff. (Too much..)
My collection website
My toy Instagram
My cat/nature Instagram
My Tumblr

Offline teresat

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pony Cow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 11:09:18 AM »
I've been using the inventory books from Summer Hayes too. I'm just waiting for her UK/German book and Debra Birge's updated Around the World. I usually end up getting doubles when I buy ponies in lots. Except for a few of very specific, wanted ponies, no more buying for me either. (So I say.  :lookround:) That should prevent mix-ups and duplicates! :P
:biggrin: >_<^.^

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 11:18:20 AM »
I've only been collecting a year but since the beginning I've taken pics shortly after I get anything new and put them on my flickr. It helps me keep track of exactly what I got and when and what accessories go with who, etc.
I also have a wishlist document that I don't remove things from but just strike out the text as I obtain them. It's kinda sorted by waves and types.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 11:20:16 AM by 3377345 »

Offline ebmerc

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 11:23:37 AM »
I've only been collecting a year but since the beginning I've taken pics shortly after I get anything new and put them on my flickr. It helps me keep track of exactly what I got and when and what accessories go with who, etc.
I also have a wishlist document that I don't remove things from but just strike out the text as I obtain them. It's kinda sorted by waves and types.

I def. will be taking more pictures as I double check my collection. Currently I have like 600+ ponies and only a handful have been photographed by me. ^^;  If I take a week off for a vacation I may just spend it getting my collection in order which sounds like pure bliss. LOL Hmm...has anyone set up a photo station for their ponies?

Offline Eternia

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • MOC Mimic
  • The girliest
    • View Profile
    • Oat Couture
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 11:32:09 AM »
I know several members use http://www.klect.com/
they have a special my little pony section! If I remember correctly, they were pretty involved in the forums, getting feedback and pony values. I think I should sign up for it actually...
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 11:34:17 AM by Eternia »
My Wantlist! Connect with me! Facebook Tumblr Flickr Instagram=oatcouturepony & charmingplastics
No girly swap this year!

Offline PhyllieBean

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • an apparent glutton for dramaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 12:04:02 PM »
I use Summer's books to keep track too.  It's pretty useful since I can check off the pony and the accessories for each as I get them or upgrade them.  I make notes for each one in the book as well.  As much as I hate marking up a good book, Summer's is perfect for it!  When I was using spreadsheets I was always either losing pages or running out of space for notes.  I tried using Debra's books to keep track, but you can't write on the glossy pages with pencil.  Summer's books have non-glossy pages and they're sturdy enough for me to erase things and change stuff over and over.  Mostly I like that I just have everything in one place and can grab it right off the shelf and find what I need!  I looooooove Summer's books! 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Persona designed by Winged Fantasy with updated symbol by Pop-Girl (check my fancy av!)  Thanks ladies!

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 12:15:27 PM »
Well I haven't done it yet with the ponies, but with my models I always kept a binder. I treated them almost like I did our RL horses. I kept a file for each model (especially when I showed I kept their placings for each year). I would snap a picture of the model and then take down it's condition, year and real name ect. then I got a bunch of those clear paper protectors and would do one for each model. One would have the front and then the other the back. I took up a lot of room, but essentially I could pick up my book, flip through the pages and check them. It always kept me organized and sometimes the pictures were helpful. I would forget their real model names and just remember the ones I gave them.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline karrie91

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 12:36:34 PM »
I so need to do this! I have a list... somewhere of G4's I want that I don't have. When I moved though, I don't know where I put it. As for G2-G3 I have no idea of who exactly I have. My sister decided to give them all names based on their Cutie Marks. I can't remember them though lol. I'm bad with pony names!

Actively buying Buddy L Ponies

Offline Moss

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Let it go~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 12:54:21 PM »
I have a notebook where I keep the pony's name, description, a picture (usually box art), and a list of any flaws they had when I got them.
Click here for MLP coupons --->
link
avatar from generalzoi's pony creator
formerly known as Mosspath!

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 12:58:04 PM »
I use Summers' books too. Best investment ever! Can't wait for the next one to come out.

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 02:19:38 PM »
My main concern is not having doubles, so I just keep a list in Word of all the ponies I have grouped by type/year and add to it as soon as I get a new pony. I don't really keep track of condition, except that if one is really mint or has all accessories, I mark that, or if one is really poor condition or I just want a nicer one, I highlight it for eventual replacement/upgrade. Otherwise, if I get a duplicate, I prefer to compare them directly rather than rely on notes so that I can catch any unexpected variants (like eye color differences) or slight flaws (like slight hair trims I didn't notice until seeing the correct length, etc.). For some I'll note the value, but that seems to vary a bit year to year, and for the most part, most of mine aren't worth much and I have no plans to sell anyway.

I used to keep a physical notebook with notes, drawings (mainly to get better at drawing them), etc., but that became too much work.

Offline Eskara1862

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+172)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Fern Fiend
    • View Profile
    • The New Gray Mare
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 02:29:40 PM »
Evernote! I have a form set up that I fill out for every pony that includes date purchased, price, description, and photo.  I then tag it by generation, where it's listed for sale (if it's for sale!), collection, sold or unsold, feedback left or not, and numerous other criteria.  This way, I have a solid database of every pony that goes through my hands.  Collection and sale ponies are both entered because the line between the two is very fluid.  Another awesome thing about Evernote is their mobile app so I can access my entire database anywhere and see if I already have a pony or not.  It's an awesome program and I highly recommend it!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal