collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Wanting to make Sculpted Customs- Plenty 'o questions  (Read 289 times)

Rion

• Trade Count: (0)
Wanting to make Sculpted Customs- Plenty 'o questions
« on: July 17, 2012, 11:32:24 PM »
Alright, so I'm really wanting to try my hand at making sculpted customs. Like, really REALLY want to.

However, I have zero experience with actually making a custom pony, so I have some things that I really need to know before I attempt this.

First of all, I feel like I understand how to prep a bait pony, but one thing I haven't been able to find out is how exactly I get the head back on after the plug and such has been removed.

Second, what sort of materials will I need? I figured I'd use Super Sculpey for the clay, but everything else I'm rather lost on.

What kind of paint brushes should I use to pain the pony/clay?

What kind of paints should I use? I heard acrylic based paints are what you need, but again- I'm really not sure.

For details in the mold, would I need any sort of tools? Any reccomendations?

How exactly do I get the clay to hold onto the pony? Do you bake the clay whilst it's on the pony, or do you bake it seperately and seal it on the pony somehow?

How do you get the clay to fit inside/stay inside of the tail hole?

And lastly, do you go about doing the pony's paintjob before you start the sculpting? Or should you do it afterwards? Or does the order matter at all?

Sorry for alll the questions, I tried to Google and use the stiickied thread, but I couldn't seem to find the answers to all these myself... Maybe I didn't look good enough.

Thanks so much in advance for any help!

I'm really wanting to become good at making customs, but I have a long way to go; and learning is the very first step!

LizbethDawn

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Wanting to make Sculpted Customs- Plenty 'o questions
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 12:47:02 AM »
First of all, I feel like I understand how to prep a bait pony, but one thing I haven't been able to find out is how exactly I get the head back on after the plug and such has been removed.
With the ponies who have poseable heads you can just pop them back on the ones that wee glued you glue back on

What kind of paints should I use? I heard acrylic based paints are what you need, but again- I'm really not sure.
Yes acrylics :D

How exactly do I get the clay to hold onto the pony? Do you bake the clay whilst it's on the pony, or do you bake it seperately and seal it on the pony somehow?
You can bake it while it's on the pony. The directions for Fimo are 230 degrees for 30 minutes and it works just fine no melted pony promise!

What kind of paint brushes should I use to pain the pony/clay?
I personally use wedge makeup sponges.

And lastly, do you go about doing the pony's paintjob before you start the sculpting? Or should you do it afterwards? Or does the order matter at all?
Paint after you bake. I painted before I baked one time and it mad the paint much darker. now I gotta bake a head and hope it makes it match -.-

These links should help answer your other questions :D
Pose changing
Part 1: http://colorscapesart.deviantart.com/art/Sculpting-Tutorial-My-Little-96848062
Part 2: http://colorscapesart.deviantart.com/art/Sculpting-Tutorial-Part-2-MLP-96847847
Part 3: http://colorscapesart.deviantart.com/art/Sculpting-Tutorial-Part-3-MLP-96847714

Wings
http://eiriel.deviantart.com/art/Wing-Sculpting-Tutorial-59733330

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 06:48:36 AM »
First of all, I feel like I understand how to prep a bait pony, but one thing I haven't been able to find out is how exactly I get the head back on after the plug and such has been removed. If you have having trouble getting the head back on it kind of depends on which base you are using.  For g3 you can cut slits out of either side of the neck plug to get it to fit better in the tighter spot.  The g4s are tricky because if you put too much pressure on that neck plug it will snap... so gentle pressure and it should push back in.

Second, what sort of materials will I need? I figured I'd use Super Sculpey for the clay, but everything else I'm rather lost on.  You can use sculpey just make sure to follow the baking directions.  I use sculpey and it works well.  Some clay shrinks a tiny bit when it cures but sculpey usually doesn't in my experience.   I'd say you'll want to gather some household items to help you in your clay work if you don't have clay tools.  I use tooth picks, pens/pencaps, needles, rolling pin, ect in addition to my actual sculpting tools.

What kind of paint brushes should I use to pain the pony/clay? Everyone is different but you'll need a wide variety.  I use soft bristle brushes and I also have some makeup sponges handy in case the brushstrokes are too evident.  You'll need some that are quite small for your detail work.

What kind of paints should I use? I heard acrylic based paints are what you need, but again- I'm really not sure. Acrylic is pretty standard for the paint.  Cheaper brands can be harder to work with (I've had no luck with Americana).  So the better quality craft paints are gonig to work better for you.

For details in the mold, would I need any sort of tools? Any reccomendations?

How exactly do I get the clay to hold onto the pony? Do you bake the clay whilst it's on the pony, or do you bake it seperately and seal it on the pony somehow? I know some people do their wings and horns separately and then attach them later.  Personally I would rather sculpt straight to the pony so I can balance the weight.  It comes down to what you are doing.  Depending on the sculpting you'll need some kind of armature to support the clay (like in wings).  This helps to attach the clay to the pony because you start with the armature and build on it.  Now if you are working just on the pony (like clothes or 3d symbols) you can sculpt directly on the pony.  Make sure it is clean, never sculpt over paint because the clay will grip to the pain not the actual pony, and if you have trouble getting it to stick try sanding the pony a bit to make it rougher so the clay can grab on.  When you bake the plastic will be soft so try not to bend it or manipulate it much or you may see the clay break away from the pony.  If all else fails you can glue bit on.  (most people use a pin when sculpting horns to give them strength also)

How do you get the clay to fit inside/stay inside of the tail hole? Most of my customs have tails so I'll let someone else field this.

And lastly, do you go about doing the pony's paintjob before you start the sculpting? Or should you do it afterwards? Or does the order matter at all? You don't want to sculpt on paint in my opinion.  The clay will be sticking to the paint rather than the plastic and will peel off.  Also most acrylics burn and scorch in the oven.

I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 07:19:17 AM »
How exciting!  Diving into customs can be intimidating at first, but I'll wager after the first one you will be hooked!

We have some lovely tutorials here:
http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,283445.0.html

They are chock full of helpful advice! Can't wait to see what you create :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal