collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Tattoo Placement!  (Read 1869 times)

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
Re: Tattoo Placement!
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2012, 11:08:46 AM »
I cant recall if it has been mentioned, but you could try drawing it on in permanent marker and wearing it like that for a week or so to see how you feel about it being there.

Offline TickledPink

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 05:22:16 PM »
Eeeee I just love that avamonster <3

I wanna do the same with frankie's pawprint too! we should go together!!!!!

As for placement..I have no idea. Maybe above the ankle?
The weirdo formally known as ImmortalPanda

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2012, 05:38:31 PM »
Left shoulder XD
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

Offline Lorelei Redfern

• Sprinkles Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, 08:18:40 PM »
so  how  about your upper arm?  you can hide it with your shirt. and it  wont stretch. i think this is  really cute.  i have  awesome back pieces on my shoulder blades.  but th eproblem is nobody ever sees them lol. i also  have tons on my ankle.  it might be cute on your ankle. 

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2012, 01:05:20 AM »
I like the sharpie idea, I'll have to try that.  Or maybe I can figure out how to put it on paper and have someone transfer it, I'm not sure I could successfully draw on my shoulder  XD

Eeeee I just love that avamonster <3

I wanna do the same with frankie's pawprint too! we should go together!!!!!

That would be fun!  A good friend of mine has an artist she loves in Fort Collins who I have been considering.  I like all of her tattoos and she says his prices are pretty reasonable as well.  So I'd probably be heading north anyway.  I'll let you know when I have the money and have decided on the placement, if you're ready too we could make a day of it!  :)

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2012, 10:56:42 AM »
I just want to say is thats amazing they let her visit you! She is the most adorable little lady!

I would go with the wrist personally - easy to cover but also easy to see to remind you of her whenever you feel the need for a "link" :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2012, 11:15:37 AM »
How about on your bum Zen?  :P  Then it will be nowhere near your Loa tattoo.
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline ZennaBug

• View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2012, 10:24:04 PM »
I just want to say is thats amazing they let her visit you! She is the most adorable little lady!

I was so happy to see her pop out of my sister's purse, she got to stay for about 5 hours and I just felt so much happier/calmer with her there.  :lovey:  I had so many nurses come in to say hi to the puppy, even nurses who weren't assigned to my room.  :lol:

How about on your bum Zen?  :P  Then it will be nowhere near your Loa tattoo.

:lmao:  *dies*  :faint:

Too many scars on my hip/bum to add to it!  XD  The newest surgery scar is 2-3 inches longer than the first, it's about a foot long.

biologistkid

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2012, 10:46:56 PM »
I will warn you that very small tattoos have a tendency to distort - a tattoo the size of a half-dollar might not be possible if you want details. I would actually not recommend foot/ankle tattoos or any near a joint - those have a lot of folds in the skin and you move them around alot, which increases the chance that your ink will "weep" or bleed out and give you fuzzy edges. And they hurt.

Just speaking from experience (having a tattoo on the inside of my wrist) tattoos on the arms are fairly easy to cover up. I do like the idea of it being on your upper arm - this is an area where, unless you have a poor artist or the tattoo is too small (or you don't take care of it properly) it is difficult to distort the tattoo. And being up higher makes it easier to cover. On wrists, things like armbands work, but don't look as professional (so I often resort to wearing a second shirt, which is uncomfortable in this heat!).

The back of your shoulder would work too, but for larger areas you will want to make the art a little larger to look proportional. It would be so sad to waste such prime "real estate" so to speak for potential future tattoos if the only one you have there is on the small side. It wouldn't have to be huge, but a typical size for a tattoo is about the size of the palm of your hand. With the added flowers and whatnot around the edges I don't think this would be a difficult size to reach and would fill the shoulder-blade area nicely.

But overall the aesthetics are something you should consider. When you go to get it done, the artist will put a "template" on your skin so that you can decide if it is positioned correctly. If wearing it in permanent marker doesn't work, seeing it in this washable ink template before you have it done could help, too, if you have a general area in mind. As for pain tolerance, I can only say that things like joints and ribs are known to hurt alot; but anywhere else, it is sort of random! My artist told me he has had grown men pass out even on "not so painful" tattoos like arms or legs. Take an aspirin before you go and that should help, and a nice artist will stop to give you a break if you need it (as mine did) :)

Nerdfins

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2012, 11:33:08 PM »
Your puppy is so cute!  I have two little pawprints just above my right ankle.  They were from a fundraiser in LA for Villalobos Pitbull Rescue.  Yes the ankle hurts a bit more than others due to the thinner skin (and I should know, I have three other tats, one which is a half sleeve), but I love how mine looks because it's so dainty and cute compared to the others.  I actually am thinking of either getting a tattoo of my cat or of a favorite picture of my family's dog merged with it.

Tips for getting a tattoo:  Bring an ipad/ipod/iphone with some music or tv shows (PONIES) on it to distract you.  Also something to hydrate and munch on.  My thing for tattoo sessions are Reeses Pieces and fruit punch flavored Powerade Zero.  I used to use just water and WOW does the Powerade make a difference.

Offline Lorelei Redfern

• Sprinkles Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2012, 06:17:35 AM »
another tip when getting tattoos.  it's impplite to scream. or make noise.. its consdiered an insult. i know that when i got my tattoos done..  that  they had a sign that  they would acutly chaarge you.. o.o  and also  no moving..  it can mess up your tattoo.  they said you can cry. but no big noises.

i  hoenstly  found that in my exerince.. if i can see the tattoo being doneit doesnt seem to hurt as bad.  i  had  7 tattoos done at once. (all litle  butterflys) on my ankle.  and i'll tell you that when i saw it being done it didint hurt so bad.  but when i had to get my back pieces done.. those hurt. a lot.  all exepct my last one i got.. i ended up with a artist  with a sense of humor.. and  a very light hand.  which i'm greatfull for.  i didnt cry at all on the last one.  and he was singing the whole time.

but it all depends i've heard some people say  ankle tattoos hurt the worst,  shoulder tattoos hurt the worst.  the best thing to do if yyour not good with pain  is  to take soemone with you.  to hold your hand and sqeeze.  and remmeber to breathe. thats important.  but yeah the artist will  sketch the template on and then you can seeif you liek it or not.   

also  make sure you get a good artist.  cheap is not always a good thing. 

Offline skyrocketneko

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Sometimes I like to play with lizards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2012, 06:43:34 AM »
It's certainly tough to figure out where to go get a tattoo in the area. My fiance and I want to both get 1 done, but we're not sure where to go. He got one of his done in Boulder, but it's a simple design with 2 colors. They did an awesome job on it.

I'm surprised there are no great tattoo spots in Denver!

CLICK ON CELESTIA FOR TONS OF SALES!

Offline ZennaBug

• View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2012, 01:38:36 PM »
The reason I've hesitated on the back/shoulder is mostly because this tattoo is so small.  I am sort of saving those places in case I decide that I want something bigger some day.  I keep coming back to a rib tattoo just below my left breast, but I know that it's going to HURT!  I've never heard that a tattoo artist would be insulted if you made noise before.  I can't imagine that I'd scream, but I am not sure I could be totally silent.  I do know that moving is a bad idea though, I wouldn't want to mess up the tattoo!  :blink:

I'm surprised there are no great tattoo spots in Denver!

There are quite a few I think, but I'd like to go somewhere that someone recommends personally, so I can see their ink before deciding.  And all of my tattooed friends live up north!  XD

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2012, 05:49:12 PM »
Honestly, the pain aspect is very subjective and personal. My tattoo is on the back of my left shoulder, it's a good four inches long, colored, runs right over my shoulder blade and it didn't hurt. At all. Getting my ears pierced hurt waaaaay more plus I had so many horrible issues with them that I let them close in the end anyway.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Nerdfins

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2012, 06:50:41 PM »
Honestly, the pain aspect is very subjective and personal. My tattoo is on the back of my left shoulder, it's a good four inches long, colored, runs right over my shoulder blade and it didn't hurt. At all. Getting my ears pierced hurt waaaaay more plus I had so many horrible issues with them that I let them close in the end anyway.

My cartilage piercings hurt more than my tattoos.  And dry socket hurt way more than all of them combined.   >_<

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal