collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What if Hasbro remade a super rare pony?  (Read 2887 times)

Offline Pinkie21

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: What if Hasbro remade a super rare pony?
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2012, 09:06:07 AM »
If it was a redone G1, I would most certainly get it, but I wouldn't be excited for it.  They just wouldn't be the same.  And we all know the wonderful quality of the redone G1 original 6 and 1st edition Rainbow Ponies.  *smh*  They were terrible!  But still, I'd get one just to have.  I love all G1's, fake or not! 
As for a re-released Ditzy Doo, I really couldn't care less.  I'm quite tired of the hype of that one.  But I would love a redone G1 pony, regardless of the horrible quality lol.

Offline Desert Rose

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Desert Rose's Dream
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2012, 09:18:50 AM »
I'm not sure how I'd feel about it.

Like so many others have said, even if they did re-make them it wouldn't be the same as the 80's version (thinking of the G1's now). It wouldn't have the same... feel... to it.
And I like how some ponies are abit harder to find and obtain, it makes the hunt all the more exiting. Granted I wanna own every single pony, but massproducing old ponies once again just for the sake of obtaining it would kind of cheapen the experience for me.

I'm not in it for the value of them or anything like that. To me hunting ponies is a joy and every time I get one I get so exited. However, when something is too easy to obtain it takes away abit of the charm of it in my opinion.
~*Erica*~
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: If you have ponies for sale then take a look around my page Desert Rose's Dream :heart:

Offline Saoirse

• Trade Count: (+75)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Part time collector, Full time addict!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2012, 09:35:36 AM »
I dunno why it would upset me, it would..

I think its down to the fact say I spent $500 on a rapunzel and I could go out and get a replica for $20 it would seem a bit like I spent a fortune for no reason

I understand a replica will never be the real thing!! But maybe its just down to the reason that Im perfectly happy with the cheaper version of something, at least until I can afford the real deal! (except when it comes to electronics..! haha)

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2012, 01:59:31 PM »
Not too long ago they did a remake of a couple of Barbies.  One in particular was Peaches n' Cream.  She was my favorite as a kid but the new version just didn't cut it.  She was beautiful and looked almost the same, but she wasn't the same.  I would buy her for my kids though. 

Offline Cadence

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • The Polyglot Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2012, 02:06:46 PM »
I have been saying this for a long time! I would love it if they re-released some G1 ponies. I was too young to collect them when they were new. I would still collect G1 originals but I would love to have a re-release of Mimic and Rapunzel because I will never have the originals and I think they are gorgeous.

Great post, thanks for starting it!

My thoughts exactly. Mimic is a beautiful pony, not because she is rare. but because of her colours. I wouldn't mind if they rereleased her in a G1 or G4 pose! I wouldn't spend $100 on a Mimic. A new release (or should I say, a MIMIC XD) might not be "the same", but at least I'd own a beautiful green TE pony!
 || Sig by LunaCat || :fox: :heart:

Offline MsTwilight

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2012, 08:42:25 PM »
I would buy a repro Rapunzel in a minute! Even if I spent hundreds on a real one. Hasbro could never duplicate her exactly anyways. (See the 25th anniversary sets, you can tell the difference a mile away.) I love buying Rapunzel customs and a remake by Hasbro would have to be mine!!

I also think that a great repro of a G1 pony would make an awesome MLP Fair exclusive! Wouldn't a cool Mimic or Rapunzel repro in a nice display box be great?!?

Moonracer

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2012, 01:47:50 AM »
Did hasbro lose the rights to the G1 molds?

Well they didn't lose the rights to molds. The problem here is that nearly all the original molds at some point during the production got destroyed and then remade into something else. It's what one of the original sculptors (forgot what his name was) said during one of the MLP Fairs. I don't exactly remember the reason for it, but from what I understand it had something to do with saving productions cost on producing new and different molds, by essentially recycling the ones that were considered useless, because toys of this mold weren't produced anymore.

He also said that for the purpose of re-releasing the CP ponies and rainbow ponies, they had to take the existing ponies and put them onto some kind of a maching that would make a digital scan of the entire pony which would then serve to develop a new mold.

The scans weren't probably 100% accurate, hence the differences people have spotted on the re-released ponies.

Coming back to the topic. When it comes to me, I have a mixed feeling regarding this. Sure, I'd LOVE to have Mimic or Rapunzel in my collection, but I think I'd rather be getting them the "hard way" that is going through numerous second hand stores, internet auctions, garages sales, yard sales and flea markets, in search for them. Because nothing brings such joy and incredible satisfaction like finding a rare pony in such a place or even places you didn't even expect them to appear in the first place.

Going to a store and buying the re-release, just doesn't feel the same.

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2012, 06:46:48 PM »
Breaking the mold!  That makes them even more special once the mold is broken

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2012, 03:38:08 PM »
See, I don't think a release of the rare ponies would decrease their value at all.  They wouldn't be a replacement for the originals.  They would just give me something to play with until I'm able to find the originals!!!

And heck, it was super fun searching for the last re-releases in stores.  I'd love to be able to buy a few G1-ish ponies off the shelves again.

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

Offline Sarah-Bee

• Alice Cooper's Minion Pony
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2012, 02:51:11 AM »
It would bother me because I would have more ponies to buy :P lol *wallet screams in agony*

Offline moonflower

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • collecting est. 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2012, 03:11:05 AM »
It would bother me, as you would have to sift through the reproductions to get to the real.

I would love it if there were new characters released in the G1 moulds though, although my wallet would not. xD
The quality must be good!

Offline rtattles

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+39)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Rtattles' Blog
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2012, 09:24:35 AM »
I am not interested in remakes of exact old ponies. The Collector's & Rainbows showed that

1) HAsbro remakes can never "feel" the same. They'll always be a little CHEAP.
2) It's boring to keep the same ponies you already have that looks slightly different. And it's lousier different.

Instead I'll prefer if Hasbro remakes selected ponies in different poses, or variant hair. Anything that makes a pony look better and not more disappointing!!! It'll be lovely to have Moondancer, Sunbeam and a few other remade in better looking poses. While the old walking unicorn pose had unqiue grace to it, it is still a bit deformed looking. The eyes look like they're a bit too perpendicular to the face and the butt is too huge.

Inventorising my collection @ http://rtattles.wordpress.com/
Formerly known as DebonaireThundercloud

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal