collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Help me with my reeky ponies!  (Read 1178 times)

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
Help me with my reeky ponies!
« on: July 14, 2012, 04:38:44 PM »
I have some ponies I got from the flea market over a year ago and they were covered in mouse urine and mouse poop. They were slimy too, really gross! :yucky: Most of them cleaned up nicely, but to this day they STILL reek! How do I get the smell out?

And another question, is bleach safe to use on ponies? My mom keeps telling me to stick my ponies in bleach to kill all the germs and to whiten them...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
My Wish List

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Help me with my reeky ponies!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 04:51:18 PM »
Nature's Miracle should kill the smell.  Any pet store would have it.  Not sure about bleach though. 
:socks:   :frog:

Offline CrystalCrown

• Flamez o' Justice
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • You don't need a license to drive a sandwich!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 04:56:20 PM »
Have you tried using baking soda and dryer sheets? They help get rid of smells very well.

I wouldn't use bleach though. It will fade the paint and possibly the hair too. It wouldn't do anything to the body though, except maybe lighten it a shade or two, but I would avoid the bleach.
:fox: :rainbow: F is for friends who do stuff together, U is for you and me! N is for anywhere and anytime at all down here in the deep blue sea!  :frog:

Offline TwistedWindSox

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 04:57:32 PM »
I've got no advice about the smell, but I bleach ponies all the time if I don't know their history, just in case they have any nasty germs. >_> I've never had any problems with it wrecking ponies. I do about 1 part bleach to 10 parts water. It might make the hair a bit dry, but conditioner always fixes it if that happens.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 05:11:22 PM »
I havent and wont ever bleach my ponies due to potential damage...but that being said I have seen a lot of people have great results using it...so its a judgement call.

Kitty litter is great for absorbing smells. Make sure to put the pony in a sealed container along with the litter - the litter works to absorb the smell. You should do a week contained with the litter, a week in the open air, a week with the kitty litter, a week in the open air [and by open air I just mean fresh air :)]. And hopefully that will make a difference.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline teresat

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pony Cow
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 05:23:20 PM »
Sun bathing (not sun fading) outside for the afternoon sun has helped some of my ponies. Not long enough to fade but long enough to kill germs and little critters.
:biggrin: >_<^.^

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 05:33:23 PM »
I use really diluted bleach on mine, simply because I don't know where they have come from and I want them pretty clean. Haha, if it fades them or something that's just how it is for mine I suppose. I want squeaky clean ponies in my house. I will say I haven't noticed a change in mines color yet. Yet being the key word.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline kakenterprise

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 05:45:30 PM »
From Personal experience bleach destroyed my pony's hair, it dried it out.

For smells I recommend baking soda saved my nasty smelling Power Rangers Figures .

Flutterblossom

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 05:49:11 PM »
I have to agree with Nature's Miracle, that stuff is amazing!!!! I had to use it a lot when I first got my puppy, and even now as she still has accidents. I'm not sure about how it will react with the vinyl/symbol paint though.

Offline Shenanigans

• G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 05:51:07 PM »
Thanks! I'll definitely try these ideas out :) I thought the smell would be gone by now, I scrubbed them hard! But I picked up my Baby Yo-Yo today to move her and she still smells, bleh!
My Wish List

Rococo

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 05:54:58 PM »
I received some smoke-stink ponies (which was a shock to me as I wasn't expecting that) once from an eBay sale. I put them on dryer sheets and left them near a breezy window for a few days and the smell came out.

Offline Shenanigans

• G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 05:59:34 PM »
I sealed up some accessories and a LLL dog (that I got from the same lot of reeky ponies) in a ziploc with a dryer sheet for about 2 weeks and it hasn't done anything to the smell. I'm telling you, it's strong :shocked:
My Wish List

Rococo

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 06:48:26 PM »
I sealed up some accessories and a LLL dog (that I got from the same lot of reeky ponies) in a ziploc with a dryer sheet for about 2 weeks and it hasn't done anything to the smell. I'm telling you, it's strong :shocked:

This made me laugh lol. Yeah, I don't think a standard dryer sheet in a ziploc bag will really do anything about the smell. I did the same thing with my ponies (dryer sheet in a ziploc for almost a month) and it didn't do anything at all! They just smelled like perfumed ponies with a smoking addiction.

Thankfully the dryer sheet + cool breeze/air combo worked for me but you may need something stronger. I heard kitty litter works to get out smells as well, at least for cig smoke.

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 07:13:23 PM »
You know people use coffee grounds to absorb skunk smells. I'm not sure how coffee works with ponies, but maybe you could have a nice roasted blend pony? :lol:
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline dxgirly

• Trade Count: (+66)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2012, 07:22:52 PM »
You know people use coffee grounds to absorb skunk smells. I'm not sure how coffee works with ponies, but maybe you could have a nice roasted blend pony? :lol:

Mmmmm... then they'll smell tasty! XD

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal