collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Are these some kind of varients? New pic added 7/14  (Read 1516 times)

Offline FairyDust

• Professor Snape Pony
  • Trade Count: (+47)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Are these some kind of varients? New pic added 7/14
« on: July 12, 2012, 06:25:13 PM »
Okay, I have some G1 ponies that I've been wondering about.  Some of them have body colors that are very different shades from each other.  They all say Hong Kong on their hooves.

Both of the cotton Candy's are concave but the body colors are very different and the symbols are different too.

The Twilight's are almost as drastic in body color difference as the Cotton Candy's are (harder to see that in the photo though).  I'm loving the lighter one but am curious why I have a dark one too.  Help!

Medley's are the short hair one and the long haired one.  The long haired one has a light green body and the short haired one has a dark blue/green body.

Okay this isn't like the others really but these sparkle sky rockets are different.  One is a darker green but a cloudier body and the other one is very translucent and has more glitter it seems (she also has some red nail polish I need to take off the bottom of her feet but her feet in front are a bit clearer/less green then the rest of her.)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 02:06:32 PM by FairyDust »

Collector of Jem and the Holograms, MLP, Kitty Kitty Kittens, and of course Totsy ponies.

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
Re: Are these some kind of varients?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 06:29:48 PM »
The CP pony might be a mail order for the darker body, if I remember correctly they where darker then the ones sold in stores.

The Medley did come in long hair and short hair versions, not sure but I believe the long hair is hard to find.

The second and the sparkle pony are probably just different batches of die lots.  There can be in some colors and styles of plastic a bit of difference.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 06:45:34 PM »
Yeah MO Cotton Candy is darker than the store ones.  As for the color on Medley, likely it's color yellowing.

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 01:33:08 AM »
There is a difference in MO Cotton Candy but believe it or not, unless the flash is washing that first picture out, MO Cotton Candy is a really really bright pink - darker than the one in the left of this picture. But it could just be the image which is making her a little lighter so she could well be the MO version :)

I think the thing to remember with so many of the early ponies is that these were of course mass produced - look how many Cotton Candies and Twilights we all have in our collections 30 years later therefore how many were original produced and distributed! This scale of production for a low price product no doubt means there were thousands of different batches produced of Cotton Candy and Twilight - it is highly likely there will be a variance in colour now and again. Plus how a pony has "lived" its last 30 years may have faded/leached pigment out of the plastic.

Medley is a different release - the short hair version got her release along with Twilight, Firefly, etc in Year 2 in the Unicorn & Pegasus Set. However, she, Firefly, Glory & Moondancer got a second release in Year 3's Unicorn & Pegasus set which featured ponies like Heart Throb and Gusty and in this Year 3 release she got longer hair! There is a difference in body colour [again probably due to batch] but I dont think its as radical as in your picture therefore as hyenacub says there is probably a little additional yellowing going on.

On Sky Rocket - are you sure this isnt a MO verses store bought thing - does one of them have a little rocket on her left cheek and the other one doesnt by any chance?
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline FairyDust

• Professor Snape Pony
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 04:36:22 AM »
Nope, no cheek symbol found on the Sky Rockets.

Thank you all for your thoughts on them.  It was something that was really confusing me. lol

Collector of Jem and the Holograms, MLP, Kitty Kitty Kittens, and of course Totsy ponies.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 05:28:03 AM »
Lol next weird question on the Sky Rockets :P...is the one further away in the picture "harder" plastic?
Loa is my love god!

Offline FairyDust

• Professor Snape Pony
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 12:14:06 PM »
Lol next weird question on the Sky Rockets :P...is the one further away in the picture "harder" plastic?

The clearer one is a regular and so is the clouder/greener one.  Though the clouder/greener one might be slightly, very slightly, harder only because it seems like her plastic might be a little thicker then the clearer one. Neither one of them is actually hardened plastic.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 12:42:51 PM »
Well bang goes that theory :P....I guess its just a different batch thing after all! Sometimes ponies just like to confuse!
Loa is my love god!

Offline FairyDust

• Professor Snape Pony
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 02:06:00 PM »
One more varient type pony I have:   Moonstone.  Yes one has a discolored body, that I know.  The thing is one has a larger symbol.  Has anybody seen one like this before?  btw, they are both Hong Kong ponies.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Re: Are these some kind of varients? New pic added 7/14
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 02:20:53 PM »
The Moonstone thing "could" be a MO verses Store Bought...as the MO Rainbows have a more intense body colour to them and some minor symbol scale differences. And the one on the left does look a little bluer...
Loa is my love god!

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 03:55:28 PM »
Cat, can you clairfy do the MO's have bigger symbols or smaller? (I'm sitting on 7 Parasols this would help really differentiate which could be MO, all are very similar in color.)

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 04:21:40 PM »
I dont think its on all the MO - the only ones I have noticed it on to enough of a degree to make it a feature are Moonstone and Trickles - its the same symbol but just a little bit "reduced" if that makes sense.

One of the main differences in Pinwheel, Trickles, Moonstone, Parasol and Flutterbye - they are the same colour but more "intense" in shade. Also the key difference to ascertain a MO Rainbow pony is the glitter - their glitter doesnt sparkle. I know that sounds odd and in pictures if you have a flash the symbol will reflect but in person the glitter will be almost matt without a sparkly finish.
Loa is my love god!

Offline FairyDust

• Professor Snape Pony
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 08:04:02 PM »
I had no idea that rainbow ponies were also mail order.  I knew the collector ponies were mail order of the first 8 ponies and then some of the more commonly known mail order ponies after.  Thanks for the info!

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 08:33:01 PM »
One more varient type pony I have:   Moonstone.  Yes one has a discolored body, that I know.  The thing is one has a larger symbol.  Has anybody seen one like this before?  btw, they are both Hong Kong ponies.

I have two Moonstone's just like those...the one with the slightly larger, brighter symbol IS slightly more turquoise than the other, which is slightly more powder-blue.

Offline Clipper

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+122)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Clipper
    • View Profile
    • Clipper's Sail
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2012, 11:19:51 PM »
I think some are store versions other mo versions. I have a dark twilight and a pale pink one as well. I thought I was the only one. guess not :-X

It could also be the dye lots were different or they were made at different factories/different years.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal