collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do you feel guilty when you take a break from collecting?  (Read 1906 times)

Offline Varkolak

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Mimic <3
    • View Profile
Do you feel guilty when you take a break from collecting?
« on: July 12, 2012, 01:15:05 PM »
I love ponies, and always will, but I kind of want to take a break from collecting, since I don't want or need any of the current G4's in stores, and it will be a while until the new stuff reaches my area. But i can't help but feel a little guilty like I'm cheating on ponies. I want to collect fairytails birds really bad, and some of the littlest pet shop birds. (bought a mini one last night and got hooked)

Do you ever feel like you're cheating on ponies?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline kCherry

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+244)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • *-* Smart Doll Obsessed *-*
    • View Profile
    • Studio 7th Sanctuary is now on Facebook
Re: Do you feel guilty when you take a break from collecting?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 01:22:17 PM »
.... What's a "break???"

:silly:

Seriously, though, I usually find myself spending more than I should on ponies and suffer from no guilt whatsoever when I make myself take a chilly from collecting.

And slightly OT, I have a couple of Fairy Tale birds that I'm wanting to trade. PM me if you're interested. ;)

My Etsy shop O Ponies *** My Youtube Channel

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 01:24:28 PM »
Pokémon was my first collection and I took a long hiatus from it, then I started collecting ponies. So I tend to feel more like I'm cheating on them, but ultimately Pokémon is more expensive than ponies are and I can currently only afford one collection.

I enjoy having multiple collections and I do my best to keep up on all of them as much as possible, which can mean occasional hiatuses from each. I don't see why you should feel guilty. If you aren't currently collecting anyway due to lack of anything you want, then you might as well branch out and enjoy collecting some other things you want. And, shameless plug, I have a couple LPS birds that need a new home.  ^.^

Ai from Aurora
AC Wants | Furniture Catalog | Clothing Catalog

Offline TwistedWindSox

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 01:43:23 PM »
Nah, I don't feel guilty. I'm taking a few-month break right now (still trying to sell off some stuff, though), because my attention and money is being focused elsewhere. :P

Offline Syrcaid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • So Soft Pony
  • Here I go drawin' ponies again!
    • View Profile
    • Syr's Linktr.ee
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 01:55:22 PM »
I've taken breaks that span years.  It only makes the ones you have worth more, anyway. XD

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 03:29:24 PM »
I've taken a bit of a hiatus from ponies recently for a variety of reasons. But, I've felt better for it. My ponies were packed away for a month and today I've been unpacking them (well, about halfway there :) ) It's so nice just to get to know each one again. Now I have a 'proper' pony room it;s going to be so much easier for me to take stock of them all. Only problem is I've nearly run out of room already... :lmao:
I don't feel bad for not actively buying on a regular basis, I'm still always keeping an eye out.

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Offline StarlightGaze

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess Luna admirer
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 03:30:35 PM »
I felt kind of weird when I realized there are no ponies I can buy right now. Wait, what am I saying, there's always ponies to buy!

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 03:51:37 PM »
If I felt guilty whenever I couldn't buy ponies for some reason, I would have a serious problem because I'm not made of money. I haven't bought new ponies in a while, and have basically been taking a break to focus on my doll collection. I don't have a ton of ponies on my definite want list (14 total), and the doll I collect are being discontinued or I just don't have a long period of time to get them. I also don't have much money right now period, and will barely be able to afford the two dolls I'm saving for.

But once I can afford it, I plan to complete my Sundance/Sunsparkle army with all of the G2 versions I need. :)

Offline StarDragon

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I'm a My Little Pony mommy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 04:10:17 PM »
I never have the feeling of cheating or guiltiness... if anything, I have the feeling like I spend too much money on ponies, so it's the other way around! lol

I can only afford some ponies during the summer since I need as much money for college as I can... but sometimes I crack and have to buy one or two over the fall/spring semesters.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 05:10:34 PM »
I have never taken a proper "no pony" collecting break...but I have taken "no pony buying" breaks.

Sometimes its a good think to step back and evaluate - sometimes that makes you either love something more or realise its no longer for you. I wouldnt feel guilty if I wanted a break and I dont think you should be concerned either if you decide to take a little time off!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 07:45:40 PM »
I never take complete pony breaks, as I am always on the lookout for ponies at the thrift store and whatnot.  That said, I do take breaks from time to time from major colle ting (eBay hunting and the like) but I don't feel guilty.  I'm not made of money and I have varied interests.  A lot of times, ponies capture my attention but sometimes, for whatever reason, my money is funneled towards something else - and that's ok, too.  :)

Doesn't make me any less of a pony lover.  Just means I'm in a different place at that moment.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 08:53:46 PM »
Nope.  I haven't really been actively collecting for over a year now due to financial reasons.  I've picked up a couple customs and a pony here and there, but it's unusual for me to snag anything.  I still love the ponies I have, but my priorities had to be rent and bills and taking care of my pets.  Once I am strong and healthy again, I will be able to work. And then hopefully I will be able to afford a new pony now and then.

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline RAMChYLD

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
    • http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/RAMChYLD
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 09:06:00 PM »
Well, I didn't feel guilty when I stopped for a bit due to the pony wedding fallout between March and May. But I did feel empty. I also feel fear for missing out on sets that're released in my absence and the difficulty in completing them once I return. Although, given the difficulty in getting SDCC Ditzy and some of the TRU exclusives...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 09:07:50 PM by RAMChYLD »
I'm cataloging FIM pony product codes! Check it out! | My Wish list. Updated in real time. | My G4 Army register

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 09:58:26 PM »
Of course not!  It's not like I coudln't jsut start again when I wanted, right?

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

Offline Pinkie21

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 10:16:09 PM »
Not at all.  I only take a break from G1's when I'm broke.  I can't help being broke, and I shouldn't feel guilty for something I can't help.  As for the other generations I collect, well...interest in those kind of comes and goes for me.  And with G4's, I have to take a permanent, or perhaps merely semi-permanent break from them for my own sanity.  I don't see any reason why I should feel guilty for having a little break.  You know what they say about "too much of a good thing", after all.  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal