collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What Causes Saddle Sores?  (Read 608 times)

Offline ApertureScience

• Forever Ouchy Roids
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
What Causes Saddle Sores?
« on: July 11, 2012, 05:31:52 PM »
Is is the plastic, or the dye in clothing, or paint?  Or all three?

My FS Twilight Sparkle is wearing her tiara, FS Applejack is wearing her hat (painted brown and sealed in matte Mod Podge), FS Rainbow Dash is wearing her sunglasses (painted black and sealed in matte Mod Podge), and FS Luna is wearing her tiara.  Should I remove any of these if I want to prevent "saddle sores"?

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
Re: What Causes Saddle Sores?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 05:45:32 PM »
I think it's all of the above. lol.
I've re-rooted ponies with wig hair and the dye from the hair spreads onto the bodies (yep some hair you have to set the color before using).
So you've got to be careful with how long you leave accessories on. Is there a specific time frame before sores will appear? That's kinda like that mystery of life... I'd think mod podge sealing should be fine.
Some fabrics if not color fast will bleed. I think if you'd wash the fabric that may help bleeding.
Correct me if I'm wrong?

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 05:56:14 PM »
I think it's just the dye/pigment from any of the things you listed.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 03:12:29 AM »
Its like any 2 items which have a sealed in dye rubbing against one another - "staining" will probably occur over time depending on how "tightly" pressed items are to one another as well as if they "sweat" over time.

And the poorer/cheaper the quality seal the more staining may occur.

In theory if you want to prevent "staining" then your only sure fire way is not to have 2 different coloured plastics pressed against one another. But sometimes that takes the enjoyment away from display...maybe just check occasionally to make sure staining hasnt started.

You will also need to be aware of pressure points in the plastic as well - a lot of the G4 items [like 3 and 3.5 previously] are designed to "grip" tightly onto the pony in order to stay in place - over time that is guaranteed to leave little dents in the plastic unfortunately...

I am an accessory addict and my G1s have their accessories - but most of them have them "by their side" rather than on the ponies. And all my G1 pony wear is displayed on baity ponies...so a little paranoid perhaps but it keeps me happy!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline ApertureScience

• Forever Ouchy Roids
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 07:28:25 AM »
Thanks, you guys.  I went ahead and took the two tiaras off of Twilight and Luna, but AJ's hat and Rainbow's glasses are staying on for now.  I'll remove those later.

@Hathorcat: ...How is it you seem to know everything?  Are you a Hasbro employee or something?  :P

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 01:50:29 PM »
Thanks, you guys.  I went ahead and took the two tiaras off of Twilight and Luna, but AJ's hat and Rainbow's glasses are staying on for now.  I'll remove those later.

@Hathorcat: ...How is it you seem to know everything?  Are you a Hasbro employee or something?  :P

Lol...no I just live here on the Arena...like a little information absorbing pixie :)....oh that and I like to talk A LOT as you may have noticed!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal