collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Cleaning advice  (Read 608 times)

Offline Dragonsummoner

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Of the people, for the people!
    • View Profile
    • Flickr pictures
Cleaning advice
« on: July 10, 2012, 10:09:12 PM »
Hello!
A couple months ago I found some ponies that I'm just now getting around to cleaning. I also dug out my old cabootle and put all my cleaning supplies in it. Picked up some Oxiclean and other such from Wally World and sat down to get cleaning! I've relied on http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/index.html for the most part but just need some more advice.
Like for Daddy Bright Bouquet. He has a rusty tail (I'm soaking in whitening toothpaste now) and rust like splotches all over his body. Thankfully his insides were quite clean! His hair is in wonderful shape as well! Here is a picture of him.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Can I soak him in Oxiclean? Does the water have to be boiling? Can I use warm or cold Oxiclean instead?

Anyone else who needs any cleaning advice feel free to partake of my thread as well!

Sig by Sourdoughstomper and Blackestbird. Thank you!

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning advice
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 01:19:48 AM »
Hmm, I haven't used oxiclean myself, but as I know this is a very common cleaning detergent for little ponies I would say it is totally safe to soak him in oxiclean. What I use to do when cleaning my ponies is soaking them completely in water and whatever detergent I am using, and let them soak there for some time. For the more tricker spots I will use a cotton ball with some detergent on (or a q-tip when I need to be more precise with my cleaning - like around the symbols and eyes), and rub the dirt off. Works like a charm! You can also use magic erasers if you feel like you don't get it all off - but be VERY careful around the symbols and eyes (and daddy bright bouquet here has a lot of those symbols...!)

I use cold water, and no - you shouldn't have it boiling. Boiling will be very though on your little pony's plastic and should only be a method used when you absolutely have too (like to prevent cancer from spreading). If you want to use warm water that would be fine too I guess, whatever you prefer ;)
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline butterflybuttons

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Feeling the G2 love
    • View Profile
    • My outdated DA
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 03:12:24 AM »
Oxyclean would be fine on him. Hot water is fine to use on him. It's just the sosofts that you shouldn't  use any heat as it will soften the glue and the flocking will come off.

For rust though, a magic eraser would get it off better, but as Katrine said, becareful of the symbols.

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 05:21:41 AM »
From my experience with rust, you want to rub the toothpaste into the spot or hair.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 03:30:42 PM »
Bicarb or baking soda can be quite good for tail rust as well - you will need to scrub the stain as well as letting it soak :)

I am always a little wary of Oxy but thats me being paranoid...most people seem to find it a great cleaning method :)

You ll need to make sure to post after pictures of him in his hansomeness...
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 03:46:32 PM »
When using Oxy, start with cold water and bring it to a boil.  If you put Oxy INTO boiling water, it will fizz up and all over your stove and counter and everywhere!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

angela22

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 10:25:29 PM »
Well, someone will have to correct me on this if it's not a good idea, but I always do it and have never ever had a problem: I use CLR for rust. Harsh, yes, but I usually just wear gloves and dip it into a bowl of it, finger rub the tail and spots on body, then dunk it into a cold water bucket to rinse WELL. Repeat. It seems to do the best job with rust, but is not a miracle. Just my strategy...  ;)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 12:27:10 PM »
Well, someone will have to correct me on this if it's not a good idea, but I always do it and have never ever had a problem: I use CLR for rust. Harsh, yes, but I usually just wear gloves and dip it into a bowl of it, finger rub the tail and spots on body, then dunk it into a cold water bucket to rinse WELL. Repeat. It seems to do the best job with rust, but is not a miracle. Just my strategy...  ;)

Its pretty aggressive and nasty stuff CLR...I wouldnt be surprised if it could damage the hair or even affect the dye in the hair...have you never noticed any problems over time?
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal