collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do you have a problem with people cutting pony hair?  (Read 6570 times)

Offline Aienhime

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Do you have a problem with people cutting pony hair?
« on: July 10, 2012, 08:54:06 AM »
So yea, after the "Poor abused ponies" topic, it crossed my mind that even though loads of ponies received a trip to the barber by kids, collectors do this too sometimes. I see quite some gen4 ponies online nowadays with "show accurate" hair; meaning it has been cut to closer resemble the FiM characters. Does this bother you?

For me, well, I'm a toy collector. I love the FiM show, but I like my toys as they come in the package, so I wouldn't ever want to cut their hair or do anything else to make them more "show-accurate"; for me the toys come first, then the show. Also, I find it hard to believe that collectors want uncut ponies only to cut them up themselves! My inner collector always goes like: Nooo, what if that pony ends up being rare or htf?

Of course, everyone is entitled to do with their pony as they see fit; it's their toy! I don't mean to judge anyone :) I'm just curious how other collectors feel about this.

Offline tinrobo

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • clockwork robo pony *click* *whirr*
    • View Profile
    • Tinrobo's Etsy Shop
Re: Do you have a problem with people cutting pony hair?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 09:04:53 AM »
I don't mind it if the pony is really common.

I cut my rainbow dash for example (but I have extras of her and I can't imagine her ever becoming super rare due to how hasbro is bombarding us with the mane six all the time) but I would never touch the mane on Star Swirl or one of the other harder to obtain ponies!

biologistkid

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 09:05:46 AM »
I'm not a very hardcore collector, so I'm not sure if my opinion really matters much in the grand scheme of it all, but here's my 2 cents regardless.

From a collecting standpoint, if I was looking for a pony in the most mint condition I could find it, I would definitely prefer an un-cut pony over one that had been to the barber shop. (ie, if G4s ever became rare enough to be considered collection gems, I'd definitely want an Applejack with all of her hair and no painted-on freckles).

However, the practice of cutting hair itself isn't one I have a problem with. After all, your pony, your choice. If I don't want to purchase a pony with cut hair, I simply have to look elsewhere - and if I can't find one, then I'd try to negotiate prices to make up for the haircut. I've given plenty of old McDonald's ponies haircuts, and my sister and I have put enough Barbies through the mill to know how fun it can be to play hairdresser for the day.

Just in the case of G4, some people might want a separate run of 'show-accurate' ponies to match the show; which in that case I might consider a complete set of cut&styled ponies desirable? By themselves I probably wouldn't pay for a hair-cut pony unless I couldn't find an alternative; but an entire set of show-accurate G4s would be a little hard to resist, admittedly (for myself as a fan of the show, anyways).

Offline BrightSide

• Fairy Floss
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • There is a world inside of me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 09:23:33 AM »
I don't rehair ponies, so major haircuts are a no-no with me. But usually on G1s I quite like tail trims.. I think they look better that way. Sometimes I don't mind it when the first plug or two have been cut to create a forelock either. With G4s, though, I'd probably mind it a lot.. no thank you.

I only cut pony hair when it's a little dryness at the ends which simply won't go in any other way (grooming, deep conditioning etc).
Fight like a girl..

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 09:24:27 AM »
I don't mind it.  Especially since there are going to be absolute gluts of the main cast.  I'll bet they all end up being more common than Cotton Candy.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 09:50:52 AM »
I would never do it myself, but I don't mind when other people do it.
Their pony, their problem ;)
If they think it's absolutely necessary to cut the mane of a rare pony I might exclaim "WTF!" because I'd rather preserve a rare collector's item than altering it (and lowering its worth).

But then again... I dehaired two of my ponies beause I couldn't stand the original colors. I plan to rehair them and am probably a hypocrite :P

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 10:04:29 AM »
I still hate that I cut my Starshine's forelock off when I was a kid.  I regretted it as soon as I did it.  As a kid I hated bangs on ponies (and people) and her hair in the front refused to meld with the rest of her mane.  It drove me crazy that no matter what I did it kept flopping forward, so I cut it.  But then I hated seeing the stubble even more than the lock.  I never cut another pony's hair and in general it bothers me to see cut manes and tails.  It doesn't look "right".

However, if the pony is not rare and is made into a custom in which shorter styles look correct, I am okay with it.  it has to work with the overall look and I can't be expecting it to look like a pristine "as made" model. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Starly

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 10:29:45 AM »
Just don't cut :muffin: Pony's hair... x.x
When the Equestria Girls dolls show up in stores and you end up with unneeded doubles, PM me! I'll buy them!/i]

Offline Vampasaurus

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Champion of Kirkwall
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 10:34:48 AM »
Me any my girlfriend both collect G4s. She's loads better at hair styling then I am, so her ponies get hair cuts and styled to look show accurate, and mine just get their tail curled around a back leg.
That being said I think I'd blow a gasket if I saw someone cut the hair on a Rainbow Flash or Skywishes or one of the other rare G4s.

http://vampasaurus.tumblr.com/

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 10:42:14 AM »
I couldn't care less what other people do with their toys. It's only when it comes time for me to start purchasing their toys they have for sale do I start getting picky about it. I greatly prefer to keep my ponies with their longer hair, pretty much because I'm just terrible at hairstyling and would most likely completely ruin them. But also because I like brushing and playing around with their longer hair, so when I see a pony I want for sale but its had its lovely locks chopped off, I pass it by because it ruins the fun for me. Later down the road I may change my mind and start giving my ponies trims, though I can't see why at the present moment. Never say never and all that though.

Offline BrightIdea

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 10:43:22 AM »
I don't mind people giving haircuts to ponies, if that is what they want to do.  I gave my Rainbow Dash, Twilight Sparkle, and Blossomforth a hair cut because I had doubles of them and wanted to try my hand at styling.  I have a de-tinselled version of Starbeam Twinkle as well because I wanted to try detinselling.

If you plan on enjoying them like that and not selling them, I don't see a problem with it.

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 10:45:27 AM »
I don't cut their hair, but I don't care about what others do to their belongings.

Ai from Aurora
AC Wants | Furniture Catalog | Clothing Catalog

Offline Sakuyamon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • artist for hire
    • View Profile
    • http://Sakuyamon.deviantart.com
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 10:50:14 AM »
I only care if its G1 or G2...
Got little to no problem with G4s since those are made in several waves ala core 7.... They arent that hard to get new and fresh.

Rion

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 10:58:01 AM »
I don't have a problem cutting my ponies hair, but that's probably because I've done it so much now.
In the end I'm happy with how they turn out, so yeah.

Offline Desert Rose

• Trade Count: (+70)
    • View Profile
    • Desert Rose's Dream
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 11:00:53 AM »
I do agree with the rest here, that a person is allowed to do what they want with their ponies and it's none of my buisiness.

With that beeing said though, I always secretly hope people don't start cutting and "styling" the hair of G1, G2, G3 nor G3.5 ponies since they're no longer available in stores. The ones out there in circulation are all we have now and it would be a shame if certin ponies become harder and harder to find without cut hair because of peoples desire to play barberer :P

Personaly I'm a perfectionist and I wouldn't be able to stand having a pony in my collection with cut hair. It would bother me to no end. Granted if it's only a teeny tiny amount of trim where you won't even be able to tell that the hair was cut unless you place it next to another one of that pony then it's fine. But other than that - no thank you.

When it comes to the G4's, well... again, people are free to style and cut and do whatever they want with their own ponies. I would never buy a G4 pony in the future though who has had its hair cut to look more show accurate though. While I do think it's a cute and neat thing to do I wouldn't want a G4 pony with cut hair in my collection.

I want my ponies to be as close to "right out of the box" condition as possible and haircuts do disrupt that :P

(Don't think I have to mention that I would never ever cut any hair on my ponies XD)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 11:02:36 AM by Desert Rose »
~*Erica*~

:heart: If you have ponies for sale then take a look around my page Desert Rose's Dream :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal