collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Micron Pigma archival pens and pony vinyl: good match?  (Read 404 times)

Offline Naamah

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
Micron Pigma archival pens and pony vinyl: good match?
« on: July 07, 2012, 09:13:43 AM »
I have a design that calls for fine detail in black and red, and was wondering if it would be safe to use my beloved Micron Pigma archival drawing pens.  I'm concerned about long-term bleeding into the vinyl, like those awful and sad blue/purple stains that haunt my bait ponies from years past.

I'd be using them right over the vinyl, without a FBR.

So.  Have you used them?  And when?  (Like, "It's been five years and no bleeding!")  What do you think the threshold would be for knowing it was safe?  I don't wanna devote the time to a really complex pony and have it go south on the owner years down the line.  I'd feel so bad.

I know that colored inks can behave differently, so does anyone have experience with those, too?

And if anyone wants to post pics, if they've used these pens, I'd probably splode.  That would be awesome, too.  Y'all must love to show off your work just as much as me, and I will take ANY EXCUSE! LOL :D

Y'all, by the way, are wonderful folks, and even if I don't comment as much as I'd like to be able to, the customs forum has been a great information source and a great source of inspiration, and just a generally beautiful place to browse on days when I am feeling blah.  <3  I heart you all.
"I have lived my life as best I could, not knowing its purpose, but drawn forward like a moth to a distant moon; and here at last, I discover a strange truth . . . that I am only a conduit, for a message that eludes my understanding." Ezio Auditore da Firenze

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
Re: Micron Pigma archival pens and pony vinyl: good match?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 09:47:46 AM »
I've worked with pigma pens in the past, but I cannot recall, is it India Ink?  I experimented with Fiber Castels fine point india ink pens and have mixed feelings.  With those pens, the ink never really sets, I would work my design, let it rest for a day, then carefully apply (gentle dabbing) modge podge as a sealer over it.  I did a few ponies in this way and (to my knowledge) they haven't bled.  It's been about a year (if anyone owns one and has a horror story, please share!)  Pony vinyl is so absorbant that its really hit or miss.  You could do a test, the bottom of a hoof or something, and check it after a month or so.  Wipe the mark off and see if any bleeding into the plastic has started? 

Big fan of your work <3

Offline Naamah

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 12:24:22 PM »
*blushes*  I have a fan!  *blushes more*  I am really flattered by that considering the absolutely incredible stuff that gets posted here!

If I could just get some freakin' spare money that doesn't go to vet bills and keeping the AC on in this confounded Oklahoma heat (and you were not taking a break to get caught up) ohhhhh, I'd be hitting you up for some airbrushed baits because SO MANY IDEAS.  And most of them are gradients.  *flattens ears*

I have a nasty bait I drew on with a Micron a couple months ago.  I think I'll go check on it presently!

They are waterproof, though I don't recall if they said it was India ink but it is waterfast (and I have tested that extensively on paper by painting over it with everything in the world).  Stuff acts differently on vinyl, though.
"I have lived my life as best I could, not knowing its purpose, but drawn forward like a moth to a distant moon; and here at last, I discover a strange truth . . . that I am only a conduit, for a message that eludes my understanding." Ezio Auditore da Firenze

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 03:00:53 PM »
I have only tried them on paint...and my customs aren't old enough to really give any real report.  But hry here are the ones I have tried them on.  Nothing intricate. lol  Mostly outlines.  Hm actually that fakie one IS right on the vinyl.  But I made her a month ago so no clue if it will blur/leak.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

Offline Kalavista

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+276)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Open for commissions!
    • View Profile
    • KalaCustoms
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 04:47:11 PM »
I've used them; they didn't work for me at all. They did work over paint, but that tended to try them out super fast.

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 08:39:34 PM »
Be interesting to see what you do, you are not going to know till you try it sadly.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal