collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Restoring symbols  (Read 613 times)

angela22

• Trade Count: (0)
Restoring symbols
« on: July 06, 2012, 05:39:00 PM »
Hey guys -

I have thumbed through the tutorials and I can't seem to find a good tutorial on restoring symbols. Particularly how to seal it in a professional way so it doesn't look shoddy.

If anyone can recall where one of these tutorials is located, or can offer up a quick and easy step-by-step, please hop in!

Thanks!!  :biggrin:

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
Re: Restoring symbols
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 07:00:24 AM »
Most people just seal symbols with matte or gloss Modpodge. I paint symbols using apple barrel acrylic paint.
When it comes to glitter I use modpodge and very fine scrapbooking glitter. (Remember, even if the glitter symbol color isn't sliver there was a little bit of it mixed in...)
You would more than likely get more feedback to your question if you posted over in customs. :o)

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 12:12:10 PM »
You may get the best advise over in Customs if I am honest...but hopefully you ll get other thoughts here to add to mlp4me's
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 12:40:57 PM »
I prefer artist-quality acrylics, but either way, thinning the paint a little with water or some type of acrylic medium helps keep it from looking thick or showing brush strokes. And yes, sealing it afterwards helps protect it. I try to cover the symbol with a margin of sealer just slightly larger than it so it doesn't show too much.

Offline StarDragon

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I'm a My Little Pony mommy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 12:59:12 PM »
I don't have any advice, really... I think most of us collectors are scared to restore symbols because lack of talent and thus worsen the value of the pony, bad at mixing and matching colors, etc.... at least that is me XD

I will watch the thread with you to see if I can learn something too!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 01:00:57 PM by StarDragon »

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 01:09:24 PM »
Yeah, I haven't done too many because I don't want to ruin (what little value) they may have already have. But here are a few I've done:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I use metallic paint instead of glitter (because that's what I had on hand), but I don't thin it like I do with regular acrylic since there should be glitter texture. It's not a perfect match (you can see the left side of the sun is a little too smooth silver), but it only really shows from certain angles or in certain light.

This one was bald and her symbols were half-gone, so I wasn't worried about messing up.

I don't think I sealed the glitter/metallic symbols.

I also touched-up a Baby Heart Throb, using thinned artist acrylic and mod podge sealer, but I can't seem to find a picture to show you how that turned out. You'd want to thin the paint to an ink-like consistency (not too thin, or else it will run/not dry well), and use a very small brush. I just paint over whatever's already there (so the rust in the one above, I just painted over it. Might not be the best idea, but it helps me make sure I have the shape right.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 01:12:28 PM by Elisto »

angela22

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 06:58:20 PM »
Perfect guys - that's exactly everything I needed to know :) Quite sufficient! Thanks guys!

And Elisto - those restores turned out wonderful!! :) Thanks for sharing!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal