collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Official Monster High Thread  (Read 89903 times)

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
Re: Official Monster High Thread
« Reply #1200 on: July 17, 2012, 06:00:48 PM »
Based on the response I got, it just makes me wonder if they even really considered it or if they just declined my request automatically.
I think this is probably the case. Mattell are far less open to ideas and feedback than Hasbro, and probably less open to things like this as well. It is probably just their company line to say no to all requests like this rather than taking the time to evaluate each one. Which is a shame, but also kind of understandable. I think they probably miss out on a lot of good opportunities this way, but it also saves them time and money in not having to pay staff to go through the process.

Within any industry there are different levels of cooperation. Hasbro happens to be pretty lenient, Matell isn't. Just like DC is way more open to fan art and outside the company created works, and Marvel is very hard set against it.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 06:03:13 PM by NoDivision »

VincentVJ

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1201 on: July 17, 2012, 06:47:59 PM »
Doesn't really seem odd to me. Mattell owns the rights to the characters so they have a right to deny people making profit off of their intellectual property. Of course there are a lot of people who do it (I see MH photography for sale on etsy a lot) but I'm guessing they didn't bother to do the honorable thing like Puku by asking first.
Yes, exactly. I'm not begrudging them the right to say no. I'm just disappointed that they did, especially since their main rival, Hasbro, said yes.

The main reason I asked in the first place, though, was because the lady that runs that Monster High Parents site asked if she could print off my fake movie poster with Cleo and Nefera and display it at her booth at a convention (I assume she meant SDCC, but I'm not sure). I was worried that Mattel might see it and object and I didn't want either her or myself to get into any legal trouble over it, so I said no but that I would look into getting permission from Mattel for that sort of thing in the future. So it's a bit sad they've said no, and it would've been nice if they'd said why, but whatever. At least they didn't tell me I had to remove all my photos from the internet or anything silly like that.

If you just wanted to use it like that, then I'd say go for it. Don't charge anything for the one image being printed. Unless they wanted to sell smaller versions of the poster at the booth. If they only wanted to display it, I don't see the problem. No profit right?

Edit: and if there was any worry slap a big Copyright Mattel at the bottom. Letting people know who owns the intel. property.

Just a heads up for Aussie collectors - I emailed Mattel about Robecca/Venus and the ST dolls and they said there were no plans to release Robecca and Venus here but the ST will be coming to Target only - no date yet.

If they don't, I'd be willing to try and find a bunch of dolls to ship out to you guys. (If I ever find them here. XD)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 06:49:39 PM by VincentVJ »

Offline pukunui

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • And the Trogdor comes in the niiiiiiiiight!!!
    • View Profile
    • pehr design & photography
« Reply #1202 on: July 17, 2012, 06:50:40 PM »
I think this is probably the case. Mattell are far less open to ideas and feedback than Hasbro, and probably less open to things like this as well. It is probably just their company line to say no to all requests like this rather than taking the time to evaluate each one. Which is a shame, but also kind of understandable. I think they probably miss out on a lot of good opportunities this way, but it also saves them time and money in not having to pay staff to go through the process.
Yes, I am thinking the whole "here's a form you can fill out and submit" thing is just them paying lip service to the whole idea.

Within any industry there are different levels of cooperation. Hasbro happens to be pretty lenient, Matell isn't. Just like DC is way more open to fan art and outside the company created works, and Marvel is very hard set against it.
Oh sure, and I understand that. It's just disappointing. That's all.

If you just wanted to use it like that, then I'd say go for it. Don't charge anything for the one image being printed. Unless they wanted to sell smaller versions of the poster at the booth. If they only wanted to display it, I don't see the problem. No profit right?

Edit: and if there was any worry slap a big Copyright Mattel at the bottom. Letting people know who owns the intel. property.
I suppose. It's a bit late now, though.

Offline dxgirly

• Trade Count: (+66)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: July 17, 2012, 07:15:00 PM »
Is anyone else still waiting to hear back from their seller about their Scarah preorder? Mine is refusing to reply to my messages, and I can't file an item not received case until the 22nd. :huh:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Ravie

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • That's So Ravie
« Reply #1204 on: July 17, 2012, 07:19:09 PM »
it's not a good sign right that I want a second Caterina DeMew to give red hair to and call her Caterina Valentine...right?

It's also a bad thing right that I keep wondering how the other Victorious characters would translate into Monsters. It's a sure sign that things are not right up top, yeah? Oi >.<

/end randomness

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: July 17, 2012, 08:01:48 PM »
it's not a good sign right that I want a second Caterina DeMew to give red hair to and call her Caterina Valentine...right?

It's also a bad thing right that I keep wondering how the other Victorious characters would translate into Monsters. It's a sure sign that things are not right up top, yeah? Oi >.<

/end randomness

You will have a Caterina rehaired in every color of the rainbow!!! Hehe

Post Merge: July 17, 2012, 08:02:51 PM

What if they grant permission to someone to use them and then that person makes prints of their dolls doing lude things etc or doing something to "misrepresent" the MH brand?

Like the ANTM finalists posing for a 'pin-up'?! Muahaha!

Offline eristell_neko

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: July 17, 2012, 08:31:38 PM »
In a way I can understand. For instance if I made a custom, sold it and then people sold prints of her I don't think I'd be all too happy. And yes Mattel is a company not an individual, but the reasoning still applies.

Another thing I thought of is that while it's unlikely you'll "misrepresent" Hasbro with ponies, it's a lot easier to do so with highly posable dolls. Not saying that's your intention at all, but I think it's probably a concern for them. What if they grant permission to someone to use them and then that person makes prints of their dolls doing lude things etc or doing something to "misrepresent" the MH brand? That's the kind of legal repercussions large companies have to take into account when talking about brand and copyright. Plus Hasbro has been historically lax about people when it comes to this kind of thing.

It is a shame though, because I love your photos and would love to see prints of some of them. Just one of those things  :huh:

The thing with the whole 'lude poses' thing is that under copyright law that is considered 'Parody and commentary'. Kind of like when Andy Warhol did paintings of soup cans and Marylin Monroe and things like that. It was parody and social commentary. It's one reason why you see so many pictures of say, Barbie as 'Trailer Trash Barbie' or dancing on stripper poles and things like that in magazines that are trying to make a point. Granted, it's easier for a magazine to fight mattel since they usually have more money than average-joes like us.

Offline dxgirly

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: July 17, 2012, 08:44:26 PM »
What's the link to check Target stores for item again? I'm curious if mine has the Scary Tales dolls in stock yet..

Offline dxgirly

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: July 17, 2012, 08:49:56 PM »
http://sites.target.com/site/en/spot/mobile_fiats.jsp?tcin=&dpci=086-02-0564&desc=null
Thank you!

ack! They're at a store near me. eghhhh. I'm trying not to be so obsessive anymore. But I feel like I'd get those dolls and keep them MIB

Offline CasseminaPie

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Cassemina's Corner
« Reply #1210 on: July 17, 2012, 08:52:08 PM »
http://sites.target.com/site/en/spot/mobile_fiats.jsp?tcin=&dpci=086-02-0564&desc=null
Thank you!

ack! They're at a store near me. eghhhh. I'm trying not to be so obsessive anymore. But I feel like I'd get those dolls and keep them MIB

ohhhhhhhh run run goooo. will that start your MH collection all over again though? :lol:
Come visit my blog!

Offline dxgirly

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: July 17, 2012, 08:55:46 PM »
Thank you!

ohhhhhhhh run run goooo. will that start your MH collection all over again though? :lol:

I'm really getting very close to setting my alarm to go when they first open.... should I do it?! XD

Offline CasseminaPie

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Cassemina's Corner
« Reply #1212 on: July 17, 2012, 08:58:10 PM »
Thank you!

I'm really getting very close to setting my alarm to go when they first open.... should I do it?! XD

I am a bad person to ask - i have about -10000 self control :D I would probably be camping outside that store already :lol:
Come visit my blog!

VincentVJ

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1213 on: July 17, 2012, 09:00:00 PM »

I don't trust that... it says every store has a Signature Ghoulia and a Holt Hyde.... They lie...

Offline hannaliten

• Trade Count: (+292)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: July 17, 2012, 09:01:01 PM »

I don't trust that... it says every store has a Signature Ghoulia and a Holt Hyde.... They lie...

No they don't. All signature dolls have the same DPCI#, so if they have one, it'll show up.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal