collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: score one for the good guys! lol  (Read 3752 times)

Offline Leopard_Print_Unicorn

• New Wave pony on your Lisa Frank notebook
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Sales Thread:
Re: score one for the good guys! lol
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2012, 06:03:48 AM »
For now all I can say... "Yay our beloved My Little Ponies are getting some well deserved attention!" :)

That's for sure! Last night, I was on the phone with my mom and she asked me if I knew what a Brony was. Apparently, my father found the article too. She asked me if I watched the cartoon, and a few more questions. This from someone who usually thinks my pony collection is silly, and at best thinks it is a strange therapeutic outlet for everything I've been through. I think I'll have her watch an episode with me next time she's here :)
Formerly known as ponyRN.

Offline coinoperatedgirl

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I paint stuff.
    • View Profile
    • Coin-Operated Customs
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2012, 06:13:10 AM »
And honestly, does anyone really think bronies as a whole care if we accept them or not? Unless they're part of our community, they probably couldn't care any less. They have their own forums and communities.[/center]

But we are part of your community.  I collect g1s, first and foremost, but I happily and proudly identify as a bronie.

Water_Fire

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2012, 06:30:03 AM »
We need to bridge the gap between collectors and Bronies. We all enjoy MLP, in one way or another.

Yes, yes yes! Couldn't agree more!

I love the whole Brony movement, on the whole. I love that more guys are seeing it's ok to cross gender lines and just like what they like, without this mentality of, 'Oh, it's for girls, it's not for me.' So what? Yeah, there's the very small minority who take it too far, but the vast majority are fans the same as us. We're not being 'outnumbered', they're just MLP fans that favour a certain gen, something I think most of us can relate to.

Anyway, before I go wildly off topic, I love the article too. It is nice to see something that isn't 'LOL! Look at these grown men watching a little girl's cartoon!'

Offline Shystar06

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2012, 06:31:04 AM »
Surprised at the article, not surprised at the comments. A news story about bronies was reposted on a political site I frequent, and it was about the same there. There were a lot of people in a snit because guys were rejecting their 1950's Beaver-Cleaver ideals of How Men Must Act.

I say flip them the rigid hoof and keep on being a happy brony!

Water_Fire

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2012, 06:33:05 AM »
Surprised at the article, not surprised at the comments. A news story about bronies was reposted on a political site I frequent, and it was about the same there. There were a lot of people in a snit because guys were rejecting their 1950's Beaver-Cleaver ideals of How Men Must Act.

I say flip them the rigid hoof and keep on being a happy brony!

Bwahaha, love it. 'Kiss my flank!'

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2012, 06:56:02 AM »
I never realized I was an exception XD I think FiM is great, and all the new positive parts of the MLP fan community that have come from it are really a big deal, I just wish it hadn't taken so long for everyone to realize the potential MLP I think always had!
I didn't mean to suggest that fans of the old shows are particulary unusual, but I think you would agree it is pretty unusual to find a fan in the community who loves the G1 and/or G3 cartoons and have no interest whatsoever in the toys (which is more common for G4).

I also want to hug all of you people above! I think it's beautiful that you are willing to accept a group of fans, even when there are people among them who have given you so much flack. This is what love and tolerate is about!

Margos

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2012, 12:55:26 PM »
I dunno, I gotta say...  I applaud the bronies.  I'm glad they're happening.  Because you know what?  A few trolls on the Internet don't ruin what's actually happening here:  The cult of masculinity is falling apart.  It's no longer able to sustain itself, and the bronies are proof. The dismissal of all things "feminine" is on its way out, and I feel that that will go a long way toward smashing gender binaries with a sledgehammer.  It's a beautiful thing, and I can't wait for it. 
Also, all of the art and stuff they make is definitely adding to remix culture, which might help establish a new (and better) status quo in the realms of intellectual property.
Honestly, the few people who "ruin" bronies for those who don't understand them aren't usually contributing to either of these breakthroughs, and can't be taken seriously, or as good representatives of the community as a whole.

And there is no point to "us vs. them" debates.  I mean, I wouldn't have found you guys at all if it hadn't been for them.  When I want my pony fix, I come here, the Trading Post, and EqD.  They're all "pony stuff" to me, and I don't understand why we can't all just get along.

I started a thread about older-gen appreciation on some other pony site once.... I gotta say, I was surprised where it went.  It actually turned into a bunch of bronies discussing older gens in an intelligent way, posting fan art of older characters, and wishing they could be friends with older-gen-people without people going "EWWW!  You're a brony!?  You must be an internet troll who writes creepy fanfics!"

It's kind of sad, really...

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2012, 02:11:02 PM »
And honestly, does anyone really think bronies as a whole care if we accept them or not? Unless they're part of our community, they probably couldn't care any less. They have their own forums and communities.[/center]

But we are part of your community.  I collect g1s, first and foremost, but I happily and proudly identify as a bronie.

Did you not even read what you quoted?
"Unless they're part of our community, they probably couldn't care any less."

Not every brony is on the Arena or the TP or any other older generation friendly place. And if they're not on our sites, why would they care if we respect them as a whole? Especially when they don't respect us as a whole.

Also did the spelling change? I keep seeing "Bronie" all over, and that doesn't even look right.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline coinoperatedgirl

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I paint stuff.
    • View Profile
    • Coin-Operated Customs
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2012, 02:23:16 PM »
I did read it,  which is why I considered it offensive.  I'm a brony and a collector of both gens of ponies.   Every time this topic comes up I have to sit and bite my tongue while everyone bashes a community that I'm unabashedly part of, while the majority here complains that they get no respect from the other party. 

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2012, 02:33:21 PM »
I dunno, I gotta say...  I applaud the bronies.  I'm glad they're happening.  Because you know what?  A few trolls on the Internet don't ruin what's actually happening here:  The cult of masculinity is falling apart.  It's no longer able to sustain itself, and the bronies are proof. The dismissal of all things "feminine" is on its way out, and I feel that that will go a long way toward smashing gender binaries with a sledgehammer.  It's a beautiful thing, and I can't wait for it. 

Oh please, bronies complain about girly thing all the time. Older gens are bad because they are "girly" and one of the reasons Cadence was hated is because she is "girly"...not to mention insane things like some bronies complaining about little girls appearing in commercials. If anything, bronies like to pretend MLP is the manliest thing ever. I remember a review of the Royal Wedding episodes where bronies claimed that the show could not be aimed at young girls because there was a villain in it... The "cult of masculinity" is in no way falling apart.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2012, 02:35:03 PM »
And with that I am locking this thread...sorry guys but its not been on topic for a while now despite an initial warning...
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal