collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Monster High Discussion Thread  (Read 35469 times)

Offline pukunui

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • And the Trogdor comes in the niiiiiiiiight!!!
    • View Profile
    • pehr design & photography
Re: Monster High Discussion Thread
« Reply #150 on: June 30, 2012, 03:44:17 AM »
Just to add to this Lala is her name in the books, which is a FAAAAAAR departure to the doll/webisode continuity as it were, and that seems to be the highest canon (even if I love the more realistic things about the books XD).
Ah OK. I haven't read any of the books or watced any of the webisodes.

I think I like "Lala" better than "Ula D". How do you even pronounce the latter? Is it "Oola" or "You-la"?

Offline Icicle

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Come on everypony, smile, smile, smile~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 30, 2012, 03:55:03 AM »
Just to add to this Lala is her name in the books, which is a FAAAAAAR departure to the doll/webisode continuity as it were, and that seems to be the highest canon (even if I love the more realistic things about the books XD).
Ah OK. I haven't read any of the books or watced any of the webisodes.

I think I like "Lala" better than "Ula D". How do you even pronounce the latter? Is it "Oola" or "You-la"?
Hell if I know, lol. I've pronounced it as "Oola" when wondering out loud with my fiance as they why in the world they even went with that name, since I don't think it's used in the webisodes.. at all, just it seems like the dolls and the webisodes share a continuity. Sounds like she was trying to be a DJ or a rap artist.

Offline M!ndy

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 30, 2012, 04:01:24 AM »
I think Holt used Ula D in his diary as a reference to Draculaura :) That's the first I heard of it.
:fox:

Offline crimsondeity

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 30, 2012, 04:37:17 AM »
In the first diary, Draculaura mentions that she tries to get all her friends to call her "Ula D" but that they don't always (I always took it as a "Stop trying to make 'fetch' happen" kind of thing lol). It's also mentioned on... the box? of the Clawd/Lala double pack. But it's in a poem that she wrote, so it's still her referring to herself as such.

In the novels, the monsters (or R.A.D.S, as they secretly call themselves) are hiding out among humans; they use nicknames, like "Blue" for Lagoona, and "Lala" for Draculaura. Some of the other characters, like Cleo, kept there original names.

Back in the day, when the line was still new, there were only handful of us that owned all the dolls, and kept up with all the different canons. We tended to be the source of the majority of conversation and information. One guy in particular LOVED the book canon and began using "Lala" frequently, as opposed to "Ula D" (Draculaura is a bit awkward to type out). It sort of stuck, and is mostly why that nickname has become more prevalent than the other. Probably the one thing from the books the majority of the fanbase uses frequently, since they tend to be the least favorite canon for most people :P

edit: I believe M!ndy is correct, Holt also refers to Draculaura as "Ula D" once in his diary.

Offline Keelee_von_Cupcake

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 30, 2012, 04:41:18 AM »
It's pronounced like "Ooh-la", of course, as in "Now, Ula dance!" (A line from The Producers. XD <3) I think it's adorable. (Even Ula users like me don't add a D. That, I will admit, is rather silly.)

Lala will always be Lagoona to me. <3 Draculaura already has a cute nickname in Ula, while Lala is Lagoona's best option.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 04:43:02 AM by Keelee_von_Cupcake »

Argentum-Zeena

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #155 on: June 30, 2012, 04:50:53 AM »
Since it's a fairly new thread, perhaps I should join in proper now, rather than lurk :P
My MH collection is rather itty bitty compared to most of yours. The horrid availability around me doesn't help. It's gotten even worse during the summer, with all of the kids out of school...

On another note, do any of you have tips for a newbie seamstress. like me? I'm trying to make a summer dress for my girls, but it looks...less than desirable.

Offline pukunui

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 30, 2012, 04:58:10 AM »
Thanks for the thoughts re: Lala vs Ula D. I think I'll stick with Lala for now.

On a semi-related note, I've taken to referring to my Nefera as "Neffie". Just thought I'd mention it.

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 30, 2012, 05:02:08 AM »
Argentum:
Try youtube, I've found some great things there in the past, I suggest barbie dresses and then making appropriate adjustments! :)
xxx

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
« Reply #158 on: June 30, 2012, 05:09:46 AM »
In the first diary, Draculaura mentions that she tries to get all her friends to call her "Ula D" but that they don't always (I always took it as a "Stop trying to make 'fetch' happen" kind of thing lol).
LOL

Offline pukunui

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 30, 2012, 05:16:31 AM »

Offline rimmu

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 30, 2012, 05:18:18 AM »
From Monster high forum:

On Monday, June 25, 2012, a U.S. federal trademark registration number 85660649 was filed for WYDOWNA SPIDER by MATTEL, INC. with the description DOLLS, DOLL CLOTHING AND DOLL ACCESSORIES.

http://www.monsterhighdolls.com/forum/topics/finally-a-trademark-for-daughter-of-arachne

Daughter of Arachne? ;)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
« Reply #161 on: June 30, 2012, 05:21:39 AM »
tuneful should be happy! ^_^

Tagi

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #162 on: June 30, 2012, 05:23:03 AM »
From Monster high forum:

On Monday, June 25, 2012, a U.S. federal trademark registration number 85660649 was filed for WYDOWNA SPIDER by MATTEL, INC. with the description DOLLS, DOLL CLOTHING AND DOLL ACCESSORIES.

http://www.monsterhighdolls.com/forum/topics/finally-a-trademark-for-daughter-of-arachne

Daughter of Arachne? ;)

Don't tease me! Make it true!

Offline pukunui

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 30, 2012, 05:23:16 AM »
From Monster high forum:

Daughter of Arachne? ;)
Awesome! I hope they're not planning on releasing her any time soon, though. My wallet needs a break. ;)

"Widowna Spider", eh? Hmm. I wonder how they came up with that one ...  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 05:25:23 AM by pukunui »

Offline PandaBerryInSpace

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #164 on: June 30, 2012, 05:30:31 AM »
I sure hope this is Daughter of Arachne. *_*
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Avatar art by January Joy, siggy art by DreamCatcher! Thank you so much! <3

ACNL FC: 3754 6763 3133