collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Dollar store hair bands?  (Read 1051 times)

Lavender_Lace

• Trade Count: (0)
Dollar store hair bands?
« on: June 27, 2012, 03:10:18 PM »
I noticed these at the dollar store the other day, they have probably 6 different colors and the hair actually felt pretty nice.  Has anyone used these for customs or know what type of hair it is?  I felt almost like nylon to me but with a finer texture.  It definitely wasn't stiff like the kanekalon that I have.

Offline ZarineBashire

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Ponies and Crafts
Re: Dollar store hair bands?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 05:17:11 PM »
I have a bunch of them that I bought awhile back but I haven't used any of them. They feel like nylon, probably a lower quality nylon than the custom stores offers. The hair should work the same as nylon though.

Offline Summer-blade

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?id=100000958584055
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 05:44:29 PM »
I love the dollar store hairbands! I use them for a lot of customs. They are basically a low quality nylon and hard to style unless you use a curling iron but if you're just looking to do a straight style on a pony they are great!

The first wave of these hairbands had tinsel in the hair too but the ones that re out now don't 

Lavender_Lace

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 05:45:54 PM »
I have a bunch of them that I bought awhile back but I haven't used any of them. They feel like nylon, probably a lower quality nylon than the custom stores offers. The hair should work the same as nylon though.

That's kind of what I was thinking too. (about it being a lower quality)  I'd be interested to know if it breaks too easily while rooting to make it worth it.  Guess who's going to be investing a dollar in her curiosity this weekend?  :P

Summer-blade, have you tried doing a boil perm on it?

Offline Summer-blade

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 05:53:25 PM »

That's kind of what I was thinking too. (about it being a lower quality)  I'd be interested to know if it breaks too easily while rooting to make it worth it.  Guess who's going to be investing a dollar in her curiosity this weekend?  :P

Summer-blade, have you tried doing a boil perm on it?

no not yet what I do when I want a curl on it is spray it with a little water and then curl it with the iron.
I haven't had the hair break it's realtivey strong just not as malleable as dollyhair
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 05:55:40 PM by Summer-blade »

Lavender_Lace

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 06:03:45 PM »
I'll have to give that a try!  Thankfully it won't be an expensive experiment!

Offline Jenn77

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 08:22:53 PM »
 Well I don't know if it is the same thing but what I have found at my local Dollar tree store looks like a horse shoe shaped plastic headband with hair. Its very soft and comes in a lot of colors. I have about 7 or eight different  colored ones and the hair is very soft. I think it would be great for some customs or someone just starting out at customizing since they are only a dollar a piece and you can get about 2 hanks of hair at least from them..
Calypso by~ Corona

Calypso by~ Brightberry

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 08:37:39 PM »
I've used it once and would never use it again. It's just not a high enough quality for me to be happy with it and it's a beast to style and shows every little kink and bump. but if you're just starting out and experimenting with it it can be fun.

Offline heftysmurf76

• Big Brother Pony
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 09:25:13 PM »
I agree w/NoDiv(and others), they're good for practicing or starting out, but very difficult to style. they feel soft in teh store and I've been tricked into buying more, thinking they had changed the quality, but they really are hard to style, and sometimes tend to stick straight out (won't "fall" like hair naturally would on the "
shoulder"...

still if you think they will work for you, go for it...I wouldn't use it in any swap ponies tho, unless you blended it w/a better quality hair, because I know I'd be disappointed to receive a pony w/the DT hair. The dollyhair(and other quality custom hair) is heavier yet more fine and styles easily...

I've also found the DT hair to get tangled much more easily, when rehairing an even styling...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 09:27:12 PM by heftysmurf76 »

Offline TickledPink

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 07:42:11 PM »
I've used it once and would never use it again. It's just not a high enough quality for me to be happy with it and it's a beast to style and shows every little kink and bump. but if you're just starting out and experimenting with it it can be fun.

This. It's perfectly fine to practice with, but dont' expect to rehair a masterpiece with it. It's really terrible quality hair.
The weirdo formally known as ImmortalPanda

Pony_Mommy

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 07:48:14 PM »
I used it once and wouldn't use it again. It stuck straight up after I rerooted the pony, no matter what I did it would not go down. It also got tangled very easily. I ended up ripping it back out and rerooting again.

Offline pop-girl

• Trade Count: (+140)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/mlppopgirl/pop-customs
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 10:38:30 PM »
I've used it once and would never use it again.

Agreed. I rehaired one custom and the hair stuck straight up. I tried to fix it with boiling water and the hair melted into a solid clump. :(
Love & Miss My Pony Peeps!  :lovey:

MsGatamon

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 11:20:53 PM »
I have.  They have fun colors.  But finding one not all tangled up is a pain.  The hair is stiff and brittle.  Breaks easy.  Holds curls beatifully.  I do not know if it can be boiled permed, I steam my curls and it did fine.  I do not recomend using it for any loose hair styles.  I think it is worth buying for the colored tinsel it sometimes comes with.

Offline Summer-blade

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 02:17:56 PM »
I've used it once and would never use it again.

Agreed. I rehaired one custom and the hair stuck straight up. I tried to fix it with boiling water and the hair melted into a solid clump. :(
yhea it dose that with short hair styles that is the bigest draw back for me. As for the tangeling issue you can work out the tangels with your fingers rather esaily its just time consumeing

Lavender_Lace

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 12:01:51 PM »
Ah well, it was a thought.  I was hoping to find a cheap alternative that was actually nice, but it's true that you get what you pay for!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal