collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: New Doll Hair Site- Retro Dolls US- now up and running!  (Read 12254 times)

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
Re: New Doll Hair Site- Retro Dolls US- now up and running!
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 04:58:20 PM »
Do you plan on adding more colors than we can already see? Or will this likely be the full line?

Offline Dollyhair

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dollyhair.com
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 08:16:58 PM »
Shannon... I'm sorry to rain on your parade. Truly sorry, especially if you're an innocent bystander in all of this. You've bought from Dollyhair.com quite a few times in the past (for your own use; not as a reseller), so you and I already have a business relationship, and I hate to do this to you. I know that you're Melanie's affiliate, so Melanie is the one who is ordering the hair from her supplier, and you're just reselling it. If she told you that it's nylon, then you should be very angry with her. I'm sorry to have to do this to you, but it's just not ok to tell customers that they're buying something different than what they're truly buying. Some people have allergies to certain plastics. Customers should always be told the truth about what they're buying.

Please go here:     http://www.dollyhair.com/retrodolls.htm

And just because I'm in "that kind of mood" today, I'll tell everyone another bit of information that I've kept to myself for quite some time: The "nylon" hair that's sold on Restoredoll.com is not nylon, either. It's kanekalon. And if you like it, then you can buy the same exact hair for a much better price at www.plastikhaar.ch.

Sorry to everyone that Retro Dolls does not carry nylon. Sorry to my competitors that I'm telling everyone the truth. I don't want to be "that person." But I just can't stay quiet about this type of stuff any longer.

xoxo

Tina
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 08:26:09 PM by Dollyhair »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

[email protected]

Offline Malancaiwen

• Celtic pony
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 08:58:06 PM »
The hair test was very interesting! I'll try my samples now to see what it is exactly (though sold to me as polypropylene :p)

Offline Dollyhair

• Arena Supporter
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 09:04:32 PM »
Retro Dolls' "seafoam" and "green cascade" are sold as polypropylene on their site? Let me check...

Nope, those colors are being sold as nylon on the UK site - take a look:

http://www.retrodolls.co.uk/fantasy-nylon.html

LOL - for a minute, I thought that I was going to be proven wrong!

Post Merge: June 27, 2012, 09:11:46 PM

The hair test was very interesting! I'll try my samples now to see what it is exactly (though sold to me as polypropylene :p)

Oh, I misunderstood you when I wrote my last comment. I see now- you're saying that the hair that you sell on your own site is polypropylene. Yes, please run your own tests, and please post your results. Great colors on your site, by the way! I love the UV reactive hair!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 09:14:55 PM by Dollyhair »

[email protected]

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 09:45:34 PM »
Wow!! Interesting!

Offline enchantress41580

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Retro Dolls US
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2012, 10:57:25 PM »
Yes quite interesting. I've seen the company where Melanie gets the hair and have talked with them, it is nylon just a different manufacturer than dollyhair. A good friend of mine that you all know on the board, Joshsponyprincess, is dying my hair for me and from what I hear, it takes just fine. Yes I have been a customer of yours for a long time for personal use and I do enjoy your products, I feel no need to slander you. You are entitled to your opinion and I am not going to get into a public fighting match with you. I wish nothing but the best for you and your business. :) 

So that being said, I am still here to stay, I'm looking forward to meeting my new customers and providing a friendly service and fast shipping. Thank-you for your information and have a great day! :)

Offline Dollyhair

• Arena Supporter
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2012, 09:47:33 AM »
Shannon, I have nothing against you, either, and I wish the best for your business. I must tell you that if your manufacturer is telling you that the hair is nylon, then they're lying to you. The tests that I performed don't lie. The photos that I took don't lie. It IS polypropylene. And there's nothing wrong with selling polypropylene - Dollyhair sells it, as, I'm sure, you know. But, like I said, customers need to know the truth about what they're buying. Please, instead of believing your manufacturer, Melanie, or anyone else, run your own tests if you think that my test photos may be altered in some way, and come up with your own results. 

I've said this many times - people think of doll hair as such a benign thing, especially since it's used for childrens' toys. But people don't think about the fact that we're dealing with plastic polymers - these are chemicals, and, in some countries, their manufacturing of polymer compounds is not regulated by any government industry. Do you remember the BPA scare that happened a few years ago? Thankfully, BPA is not found in nylon or polypropylene. But who knows what will be found to be dangerous in the years to come?

You say that Johnsponyprincess is dying the hair, but how can the hair absorb dye, if it can't even absorb water? Do you have any photos of the dyed hair? You could probably use a permanent marker to "dye" the hair, but that would, essentially, just be a layer of pigment that's sitting on top of the hair. It wouldn't be absorbed by the hair. 

There are some porous polypropylene products (industrial products), but due to the extrusion process, all polypropylene doll hair is not porous. I think that my tests proved that neither my polypropylene hair, nor yours, is porous.

Here's a site that sells nylon and polypropylene straps! They compare the properties of nylon vs. polypropylene. Look how, at the bottom of the chart, they state that polypropylene floats in water, and does not absorb water. http://www.drdcorp.com/strap-cord-hardware/strapchart.htm  These are the inherent properties of polypropylene. Your hair looks like polypropylene. Your hair acts like polypropylene. Therefore, what other type of synthetic hair could it possibly be? It is definitely not nylon. It acts nothing like nylon.

According to the Wikipedia page about polypropylene, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polypropylene, In 2008, researchers in Canada asserted that quaternary ammonium biocides and oleamide were leaking out of certain polypropylene labware, affecting experimental results.[24] Since polypropylene is used in a wide number of food containers such as those for yogurt, Health Canada media spokesman Paul Duchesne, said the department will be reviewing the findings to determine whether steps are needed to protect consumers.[25]

Quaternary ammonium compounds can display a range of health effects, amongst which are mild skin and respiratory irritation [8] up to severe caustic burns on skin and gastro-intestinal lining (depending on concentration), gastro-intestinal symptoms (e.g., nausea and vomiting), coma, convulsions, hypotension and death.[9] They are thought to be the chemical group responsible for anaphylactic reactions that occur with use of neuromuscular blocking drugs during general anaesthesia in surgery.[10] Quaternium-15 is the single most often found cause of allergic contact dermatitis of the hands (16.5% in 959 cases)[

The nylon Wikipedia page, by contrast, does not list any health concerns with nylon: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nylon

I touch polypropylene all the time, and I've never experienced skin irritation, caustic burns, or convulsions from it (LOL), but if you have a sensitive customer who has had this type of reaction to polypropylene in the past, and if they buy your hair, thinking that they're buying nylon, and they have this reaction to your polypropylene, then you're going to get your pants sued off of you if your customer accuses you of lying to them! Plus, how terrible would you feel for your customer? If they could have avoided such a reaction by simply knowing what they were buying, how bad would you feel? You would be totally responsible.

I'm sorry, Shannon, but you and Melanie need to tell everyone that what you're selling is polypropylene. That's the only ethical way to go about this. Do you realize what a position I'm in? YES, I'm your competitor. YES, from a monetary standpoint, I would prefer not to have any competitors at all. But I am also one of the only people in this world who has such a vast understanding of various types of doll hair. Your manufacturer can tell you much more about polypropylene than I can, but they probably ONLY know about polypropylene. I know about every type of synthetic doll hair that's offered in the market. I've been in this business for over ten years. As someone who knows how to run these tests, who knows the properties of the different synthetic polymers, why would I not want customers to know what they're buying? If I did not sell doll hair at all, and was simply an expert on the subject, then no one would challenge my opinion. But the fact that I sell it automatically makes you assume that, because I am your competitor, I am trying to discredit you for my own monetary gain. I have to take that risk, I guess, because I've come to the point where I am going to tell customers the truth from now on, instead of protecting my competitors for fear that, by telling the truth, I will make myself look bad.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 10:07:56 AM by Dollyhair »

[email protected]

Offline enchantress41580

• View Profile
    • Retro Dolls US
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2012, 11:54:57 AM »
Tina, you can be assured that I will be running my own tests and providing the outcome. If you would like to discuss this professionally and privately you can contact me through private message here. I have no interest in maintaining a debate here. My top priority is and always will be my customers and my service. And yes, as soon as I receive the dyed hair, I will be posting pictures, and it is through regular dye not markers. Thank-you again for providing information, I am looking into it, but I do stand by my product.
Best wishes,
Shannon

Offline Dollyhair

• Arena Supporter
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2012, 12:27:50 PM »
Shannon, I appreciate what you're saying, but there is no reason to discuss this privately. Customers should be able to read any debates regarding this issue, and it should be public knowledge.

Shannon - I understand the position you're in. You've probably invested a nice amount of money in this hair, and you also don't want to be discredited. I understand that. But you MUST admit that this hair is not nylon. I feel badly for you if you have been lied to by anyone, but you cannot maintain your position in light of the evidence to the contrary.

I welcome customers to run their own tests, as well. Can anybody make Retro Dolls' "nylon" sink to the bottom of a glass of water? Remember - if you use something to tie the hair together, like a bag tie, a rubber band, etc., then that can affect whether the hair will sink. So, the hair needs to be tied in a knot, without any foreign thing binding it together.

The hair will not sink. That's because it's polypropylene; not nylon.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 12:33:02 PM by Dollyhair »

[email protected]

Seiena_Cyrus

• Trade Count: (0)
Just a little Scientific observation
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2012, 12:37:44 PM »
Hey guys I know I haven't been around lately but this has been pointed out to me and after consideration I wanted to make a statement about my observations. I don't think Dollyhair is being shady or anything. Her character and motives aren't in question here in my observation. Dollyhair's evidence is somewhat intriguing though and I'm not sure anyone's noticed yet. From the Burn test and the way that Seafoam reacted like Heartless, I'm not going to focus on that one, because that test seems to prove it's Polypropylene, but that could be simple manufacturing error. That's not what intrigues me, it's the Green Cascade that intrigues me here.

Dollyhair, you say in your evidence that Green cascade reacted the same way that heartless did. Your photographic evidence contradicts that. I'm seeing that Green cascade burned differently from Heartless and since I'm looking at it on a 57+ inch television screen I can say with 100%  certainty that it burned like Mango tango, your control nylon. Though it burned more messily. The hair floats, and the hair doesn't dye according to you. It is most definitely nylon since it burned. -HOWEVER- the water and dye tests can be explained just as easily. Did you know they water proof nylon? That they even waterproof nylon thread? So what's to say the hair isn't waterproofed. From what I can tell there's more then just Polyurethane waterproofing, but finding out information is rough even on the Internet. I think that it's more likely that the hair is waterproof, but that doesn't make it Polypropylene because the burn test contradicts and there's evidence to support that Nylon can in some instances, float.

I would very much like to see what enchantress' tests come back as because from observation, it does appear that Seafoam is polypropylene, but Green cascade shows different results in at least one test, and there are other answers out there making Green Cascade at best, inconclusive.

jupiternwndrlnd

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2012, 12:46:03 PM »
lets keep things OT please

enchantress, good luck with your new business venture :)

Offline Dollyhair

• Arena Supporter
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2012, 12:55:20 PM »
Hey guys I know I haven't been around lately but this has been pointed out to me and after consideration I wanted to make a statement about my observations. I don't think Dollyhair is being shady or anything. Her character and motives aren't in question here in my observation. Dollyhair's evidence is somewhat intriguing though and I'm not sure anyone's noticed yet. From the Burn test and the way that Seafoam reacted like Heartless, I'm not going to focus on that one, because that test seems to prove it's Polypropylene, but that could be simple manufacturing error. That's not what intrigues me, it's the Green Cascade that intrigues me here.

Dollyhair, you say in your evidence that Green cascade reacted the same way that heartless did. Your photographic evidence contradicts that. I'm seeing that Green cascade burned differently from Heartless and since I'm looking at it on a 57+ inch television screen I can say with 100%  certainty that it burned like Mango tango, your control nylon. Though it burned more messily. The hair floats, and the hair doesn't dye according to you. It is most definitely nylon since it burned. -HOWEVER- the water and dye tests can be explained just as easily. Did you know they water proof nylon? That they even waterproof nylon thread? So what's to say the hair isn't waterproofed. From what I can tell there's more then just Polyurethane waterproofing, but finding out information is rough even on the Internet. I think that it's more likely that the hair is waterproof, but that doesn't make it Polypropylene because the burn test contradicts and there's evidence to support that Nylon can in some instances, float.

I would very much like to see what enchantress' tests come back as because from observation, it does appear that Seafoam is polypropylene, but Green cascade shows different results in at least one test, and there are other answers out there making Green Cascade at best, inconclusive.

OK, good observations. Lett me address them:

The green cascade burned darker than the other two polypropylene colors, but it did not burn *brown*. The reason why it burned darker is because it has more pigment in it than the other two polypropylene colors. It is a darker hair color. I have many more hair samples from Retro Dolls. I'll run tests on all of them, and I'll post my results.

You say that nylon is sometimes waterproofed. Although I can't say that that's incorrect, I've never known any nylon doll hair manufacturer to waterproof their nylon. I guess it could be done pretty easily - I mean, if the nylon hair is porous, then it would absorb a substance that would make it waterproof. So, based upon that info, you're saying that my water test is invalid. OK, fine, but if Retro Dolls' hair is, in fact, waterproofed nylon, then it would be "dyeproofed" as well, right? If it can't absorb water, then it can't absorb dye.

So, are there any customers who can dye Retro Dolls' hair, and post photos of it?

I have a friend in the doll hair manufacuring business - not my supplier, but his company manufactures all of the hair swatches that you see in beauty supply stores for human hair color, like Clairol, L'Oreal, etc. I invite Retro Dolls to send their own samples to me, and they can mark these samples in any way that they choose, so that there is NO WAY that I can send my own polypropylene hair to my friend, in place of the Retro Dolls hair, and I will have my friend run a chemical analysis on the hair, to prove its makeup. If Retro Dolls is not willing to send these samples to me, then I will send the Retro Dolls hair that is already in my possession.

This debate started because, a couple of weeks ago, I saw the photos on Retrodolls.co.uk, and I accused the owner, Melanie, of reselling Dollyhair nylon hair without permission. You see, I have an exclusivity contract with My Little Customs, and My Little Customs is the only UK-based seller of Dollyhair nylon hair. Melanie of Retro Dolls was selling Dollyhair nylon in the past, so I thought that she had done it again. I emailed her and accused her, and she denied that it was Dollyhair nylon that she was selling. I asked her to prove me wrong, and I asked her to send some samples to me. She refused to, so I obtained them through a different route. The reason why she refused to send the samples to me was NOT because she was selling Dollyhair nylon, but, as I see now, it was because she did not want me to discover that it was polypropylene. Otherwise, why would she not have just sent her hair to me? If it was not Dollyhair nylon, then she could have proven me wrong very easily.

[email protected]

Offline EmberBright

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Disregard the Prologue - my blog about... um... everything
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2012, 01:05:39 PM »
Congratulations on your new business venture! Your service has been great so far, and I look forward to trying out your product.

-Em

Disregard the Prologue

Offline enchantress41580

• View Profile
    • Retro Dolls US
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2012, 01:07:14 PM »
Thank-you for the congratulations, Em & Jupi! :)

Offline natevansate

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Customs
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2012, 01:57:57 PM »
Interesting.

visitors can't see pics , please
register or login

I want a Baby Ribbs army! 2 loose, 1 MIB and 1 MOC argie!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal